Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 05:59 PM

24,294 posts, read 9,185,432 times

Advertisements

As already stated, something involving the back seat.

And something involving driving while getting a you know what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
Blowing past a cop in an E-type Jaguar with the speedo just at 150 MPH. My responsible father was driving. the cop never caught up with us. I 'm not sure why, but it was a good thing!
White privilege
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 09:01 PM

10,834 posts, read 7,224,770 times
Driving over the Grapevine in CA, I noticed a semi with a whole lot of porta potties that were swaying like they wanted to fly free. I made the effort to get ahead of him, and it paid off; he lost his load a few minutes later, closing the whole northbound freeway.

I'm not a real fast driver, so pretty soon I had all of I5 to myself, and didn't see another car for 45 minutes.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:20 PM

21,427 posts, read 8,633,272 times
That first ride in my dad's brand-new 1956 Chevy Bel Air. Speeding along the hilly roads outside our town on a sunny summer day with all the windows rolled down and inhaling that intoxicating new car aroma. Ah, bliss!

The first time I drove solo after I got my driver's license. I'll never forget how nervous I was crossing the Brooklyn Bridge in my boyfriend's car.

The times I pulled away from the curb in my VW Beetle after a rainstorm. I'd hear a weird sucking sound over my head and then I'd be doused with about a half gallon of ice cold water courtesy of the leaky sun roof.

My other VW Beetle had a bad starter. I would take my life in my hands compression-starting the car by coasting down a steep San Francisco hill in second gear while pumping the clutch.

Crossing the 59th Street Bridge while I was coming down from an acid trip. (I wasn't the driver.)

Old 09-01-2018, 09:03 AM

18,633 posts, read 7,481,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I wonder how many 16 year old's could do that today, without mommy and daddy paying for their car.

I don't think it's possible.
Nope.

Minimum Wage laws have priced inexperienced teens right out of the labor market. The few that can get jobs, usually have connections: My dad knows your dad etc.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:12 AM

18,633 posts, read 7,481,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
We were living in Priest River, Idaho. I had a job in Sandpoint, Idaho about 25 miles away. I was driving an old Renault with no heater. Driving up one morning, it was about 0 degrees. I kept scraping the window, because it was constantly freezing up.
I drove air-cooled VWs (Bug, bus etc.) in Minnesota for five years in the late 1970s. They poured tons of salt on the roads in the winter to melt the ice, so cars usually rusted out within a few years. In a VW bug (a real one with the engine in the back), the heater channels ran under the doors from the rear engine to the front footwells and windshield. Those channels were always the first to go, so you got zero heat to the windshield, just when you needed it most.

We used to say that Minnesota VW drivers had their right arms longer and stronger than their left arms, because they steered with their left while scraping the inside of the windshield nonstop with their right.

Ah, memories.....

Old 09-01-2018, 12:09 PM

17,487 posts, read 17,349,511 times
Had a brand new 1993 Chevrolet Cavalier coupe with 5 speed manual transmission. Was in the Navy. Drove home on leave. On the way back to the ship I took a detour to a state highway between Tennessee and Virginia. Hit a winding mountain road. Though I drove at low speeds, the combination of the shifting, steering, and angles made for a very fun drive. Few months later I signed over the car to a young couple. I had received orders to a ship that was going to be home ported in Gaeta Italy. I was going to be in Italy for only two years, not long enough to make it worth the trouble to have a car delivered to and from Italy. Big PITA getting that done. If my time there would have been longer then that Cavalier would have been a very practical car to have in Italy compared to the idiots who brought over their large full size trucks and SUVs to drive on narrow Italian city streets.

Old 09-01-2018, 04:30 PM

14,200 posts, read 14,580,567 times
My first would be driving a car for the first time. My 2nd would be going all the way with a girl in the back seat of a car.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:41 PM

17,720 posts, read 13,437,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
The moderators wouldn't allow my reply to that question.
Same here.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:07 AM

796 posts, read 754,078 times
I own a Lamnorghini, but would still go with high school sex as the most memorable experience.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:33 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,708,463 times
I was a 20 Y/O kid working as a mechanic. My boss, who had a background in racing and worked on a lot of exotic cars at the shop took me out in a Ferrari for a road test. We went over 165 MPH on a highway with some medium turns and hills. The car was whisper quiet the whole time. And my boss was as calm and relaxed as anyone could be.

It was quite an experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive