Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 04:24 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,305,550 times

Advertisements

If you are finding something that would really never head up mountains, deserts, or onto beach sands. Remember these days its hard for dealers to sell sedans, hatchbacks, and minivans so deals are good. These vehicles prices actually went down adjusted for inflation since the 1990s. SUVs on the other hand prices outpaced inflation. Whereas a highest trim fully loaded Camry costed $27,000 in 2001 while a highest trim fully loaded 4Runner costed $31,000 in 2001. Though today a fully loaded Camry costs about $33,000, but a fully loaded 4runner costs about $47,000.

Though if price is similar i.e the case with Subaru Legacies compared with Toyota Camry and other competing sedans. Consider the Legacy if you ever consider going up to any snowy mountains. You will in most cases never need chains. And Subaru costs less to own and insure compared to most other vehicles and have a high resale value, part of the reason is they are very uncommon in rental fleets.
The issue with the tires is usually not a problem. In the unlikely event it is there are tire dealers that will shave a tire down to match the other tires so there is no need to replace all 4 tires at a time. We owned 4wd vehicles, not a Subaru though, but should be similar for 18 years and only had to deal with the all 4 tires thing once or twice and normally its time for them to be replaced anyway I am sure the Subaru would be no different.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 08-31-2018 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 08:01 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,199 times
I love my awd Edge, it's super comfortable, roomy, powerful, and just plain awesome. I can see why suvs are so popular over sedans and hatchbacks, let's see how this changes if the economy or gas prices turn dramatically.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:36 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,926,533 times
Haven’t seen a need for AWD in NC but I see a lot of SUVs that are AWD. I guess people feel safer even if it isn’t really needed.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Stick with an econo fwd vehicle (less maint, more economy, longer life)
I nearly got stranded in Yosemite ONCE... March freak snow storm.

I have lived in Mtns / snow / ice for 50+ yrs.
(I have a hurky 4x4 dually truck if I need to 'bust drifts' <5 days / yr.)

My fwd VW diesel Rabbits are fine 99.5% of the time

48 - 52hp, and 46 - 50 mpg on free fuel. (veggie oil, or used motor oil / discarded Heating oil, or Jet fuel)

Most I have bought for under $100 (many for $35 minimum bid at towing auction)

Old 08-31-2018, 09:05 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,366,706 times
I drove in California without AWD for 30 years with no problems.

But I didn't go skiing/risk getting snowed in, or drive on a beach or off road. Any of those would be better with AWD.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:31 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,778,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I'm in California where we get virtually no rain nor snow. The only other push for AWD (all wheel drive) would be if you drive up mountains and/or unpaved roads, which I've never done, nor plan to do. As such, I'm told that many in CA can get away with just FWD (front wheel drive) to save some money.

However, I'm also told AWD still helps with general control and handling. I'm willing to take a slight hit to my fuel economy, and there's always a chance I'll move back to a region where I will need to deal with rain and snow again.

Your thoughts?
My sister has an AWD Subaru. She regrets it often. Especially when she gets a flat. I have given her that "Green Slime" inflation kit. That has saved her a bundle as for AWD you must replace all tires or screw up the drivetrain if you don't and at $135 a ties, it adds up fast!

Old 09-01-2018, 11:45 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
My sister has an AWD Subaru. She regrets it often. Especially when she gets a flat. I have given her that "Green Slime" inflation kit. That has saved her a bundle as for AWD you must replace all tires or screw up the drivetrain if you don't and at $135 a ties, it adds up fast!
In 35 years of driving and hundreds of thousands of miles I have only had one single flat I couldn't fix with a plug, and it was a defective tire replaced within 100 miles of purchase.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:08 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
I don't like FWD period, it causes more tire wear and poor handling on even dry roads especially when you drive on the curves a lot. With AWD, I eat corners and go through apexes like it's a straight line.

AWD is for performance minded drivers. You don't buy an AWD car simply for the foul weather since it rarely happens for most of us. Only the 3-4 months of winter only a few weeks you really see heavy snow here.

On FWD, I frequently have to rotate tires or just have to change them out due to tire wear. On AWD the tire wear is almost even that I just change the full set and they last much longer than FWD.

Old 09-01-2018, 04:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't like FWD period, it causes more tire wear and poor handling on even dry roads especially when you drive on the curves a lot. With AWD, I eat corners and go through apexes like it's a straight line.

AWD is for performance minded drivers. You don't buy an AWD car simply for the foul weather since it rarely happens for most of us. Only the 3-4 months of winter only a few weeks you really see heavy snow here.

On FWD, I frequently have to rotate tires or just have to change them out due to tire wear. On AWD the tire wear is almost even that I just change the full set and they last much longer than FWD.
And you realize an AWD car is usually a FWD (basic but modified) car that applies 80%+ to FWD and 10% to rear?

My AWD's wear tires about the same / worse than fwd. And economy for AWD is the PITS!

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-01-2018 at 04:48 PM..

Old 09-01-2018, 05:10 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I'm in California where we get virtually no rain nor snow. The only other push for AWD (all wheel drive) would be if you drive up mountains and/or unpaved roads, which I've never done, nor plan to do. As such, I'm told that many in CA can get away with just FWD (front wheel drive) to save some money.

However, I'm also told AWD still helps with general control and handling. I'm willing to take a slight hit to my fuel economy, and there's always a chance I'll move back to a region where I will need to deal with rain and snow again.

Your thoughts?

I wouldn’t waste the money on a AWD vehicle in So Cal. Especially if it’s just a commuter deal. The maintenance and upkeep costs are high. Unless you need the AWD traction and live in a area like snow ice rain it’s really pointless. I’m not talking about wanting but just actually needing one.
For example. You have 1/2 worn tires. One goes bad. You’ll need to shave that new tire to match the others or buy all four new tires.
You’ll have higher maintenance costs due to the AWD system. Additional CV joints, sometimes a transfer case depending on the drivetrain and a rear differential.
If you move sell it and buy a AWD version.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 09-01-2018 at 05:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive