Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 04:23 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
Have you bothered to check your current FICO score?? Sales people check that first to see how much money you can borrow. Something tells me you got a problem that you don't know about.
.....mid to upper 700's and only reason it's not higher is that I am debt-free. Cash is being paid also...for the car. I think I am in the top couple percent of people who walk into these particular dealers.

That's not the reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 04:25 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,231,166 times
In the age of Google, the consumer has much easier resources to research a product and can easily learn more about a product that the salespeople on the floor. If I were you I would look into various car websites like edmunds.com or cars.com to read about upcoming models, features, cost to own, etc. Then when you narrow down your search, lurk on a model specific forum to learn the real-world compliments and complaints about owning that specific model. You can learn which maintenance items are recommended, which you can skip, some that you can DIY, and potential common problems. You're not going to get any of that information from the dealership.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:28 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,576,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
My existing ride is a 2010 Passat - German made 120K miles. I'd buy the same car if I could get it...but I can't, only American made cheapened product many years old (in design).....

So I figured I'd go for something efficient - the Camry Hybrid or the Honda Accord Hybrid. Test drove both - both are great.

Camry has lousy entertainment system (no Car Play for Apple)....their own apps, etc. - you can pay a lot extra and get something bad (still no car play).....so maybe I'd go for the Avalon Hybrid? Opps...unlike the Camry and Accord, the batteries dig deeply into the trunk space. Well, maybe I will fork over for a Lexus ES 2018 Hybrid? No car play and same deal with trunk. Paying more doesn't get more.....

Accord pushes most buttons except passenger seat is really low and wife is short. No upward adjustment! Still, it's number #1 on the list and I may just have the wife use a pad or do an aftermarket seat raising (such things do exist).....

Stopped in Honda dealer twice. Talked to same long term sales guy...Emailed him twice for price and availability. First time...no response. Second time he actually responded and said he'd get back. That was a week ago. No questions answered (such as when 2019 are coming out and maybe they have height adj?).....

I even checked with VW to see if they have a launch date for the Arteon, their new upscale german made model. I know it's supposed to be out now or soon...but can't get an answer!

It seems in the auto biz you just can't get answers about things - even informal ones about events that are already scheduled (Honda is already building 2019 models in Marysville)....

It's frustrating because I am one of those "easy" car buyers. No trade, cash deal and easy to please. But the lack of anyone knowing anything AND anyone caring about a sale is frustrating.

Might just wait a few weeks - 2019 Camry is supposed to come with Car Play...although I like the Accord better for various reasons.

Are you only talking to one dealer ? Why ? Honda dealers are notorious for having easy jobs since the cars practically sell themselves. A car is a long term investment therefore you need to do your work - talk to every honda dealer in a 25 mile radius. Deal only with the Internet sales manger - know what you want in terms of Options and try to be flexible on color. Do at least 3 rounds of price negotiation. If the dealers in your area are uncooperative just move on to the closest nearby metro. The whole process should take about 2 weeks. I have bought several cars this way (one an Accord Hybrid) and it always yields results.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:01 PM

9,398 posts, read 11,143,637 times
Quote:
My existing ride is a 2010 Passat - German made 120K miles. I'd buy the same car if I could get it...but I can't, only American made cheapened product many years old (in design).....

So I figured I'd go for something efficient - the Camry Hybrid or the Honda Accord Hybrid. Test drove both - both are great.

Camry has lousy entertainment system (no Car Play for Apple)....their own apps, etc. - you can pay a lot extra and get something bad (still no car play).....so maybe I'd go for the Avalon Hybrid? Opps...unlike the Camry and Accord, the batteries dig deeply into the trunk space. Well, maybe I will fork over for a Lexus ES 2018 Hybrid? No car play and same deal with trunk. Paying more doesn't get more.....

Accord pushes most buttons except passenger seat is really low and wife is short. No upward adjustment! Still, it's number #1 on the list and I may just have the wife use a pad or do an aftermarket seat raising (such things do exist).....

Stopped in Honda dealer twice. Talked to same long term sales guy...Emailed him twice for price and availability. First time...no response. Second time he actually responded and said he'd get back. That was a week ago. No questions answered (such as when 2019 are coming out and maybe they have height adj?).....

I even checked with VW to see if they have a launch date for the Arteon, their new upscale german made model. I know it's supposed to be out now or soon...but can't get an answer!

It seems in the auto biz you just can't get answers about things - even informal ones about events that are already scheduled (Honda is already building 2019 models in Marysville)....

It's frustrating because I am one of those "easy" car buyers. No trade, cash deal and easy to please. But the lack of anyone knowing anything AND anyone caring about a sale is frustrating.

Might just wait a few weeks - 2019 Camry is supposed to come with Car Play...although I like the Accord better for various reasons.
Finding a halfway bright and effective salesman is more difficult than finding the right car.

I shopped for a long time while back. A couple of the Honda salespeople were the best. But the Civic sat so low it was off the list. It also had boo coo electronic buddies like parking brake that I just didn't like. I DID like the right side mirror with camera that came on with the turn signal.

I finally bought another Soul. But the two nearby KIA dealers were staffed by idiot after idiot. I finally went 60 miles away to another mediocre dealership because the locals were repulsive.

I see the local KIA dealer has had a complete sales staff turnover since I was in there. I don't know if that helps but I find it amazing that high bucks transactions like cars are staffed by some of the world's chief idiots.

If you know what you want you may want to shop online.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:53 PM

553 posts, read 615,824 times
Quote:

The Avalon got its redesign a model year after the Camry (2019 vs. 2018). The 2019 Avalon Hybrid has the battery under the rear seat like the new Camry, along with Apple Car Play. It's a similar story for the Lexus ES, although 2019 models produced prior to October 1 will not have Car Play.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:58 PM

8,673 posts, read 22,903,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Finding a halfway bright and effective salesman
Now that's an oxymoron!

Old 09-07-2018, 01:58 AM

438 posts, read 376,050 times
I worked for a dealership for a couple years and here are my main tips.

1) Do 100% of the research on your own. Don't leave it up to anyone else, salesmen almost never research half the cars on the lot. They know the bullet points of the top sellers or heaviest marketed ones, but really most salesmen have no idea what the griddy details of the cars are.

2) Have a car picked out. Never go to a dealership with a list or uncertain about what car to get. Salesmen will pick that hesitation up and either ignore you (because you're too wishy washy and "wasting" their time) or they'll try to dazzle you with all the fluff they can and potentially push you into a car you end up not liking.

3) There is no perfect dealership, nor a perfect salesman. The whole sales situation is entirely one sided; the dealerships don't need YOU to buy a car. Sure they need sales, but there is always a better sale around the corner and they are purely looking out for themselves and making their sale as quick and efficient as possible. No salesman wants to spend multiple hours with you to see if you might buy, the best sales for all sides come when people come in with a car on the lot in mind. Those people get the best service and typically have a better time because everyone is getting what they want and knows there aren't games to play.

The best rule of thumb is be prepared and have the car picked out in advance. Salesmen will only get you so far and honestly shouldn't be relied on any further then telling you the basics (all of which you can find better info yourself) and helping you process the paperwork.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:27 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:

You are confused. Sales guys don’t know the answers. They just wanna sell you the first thing you qualify for and get you out the door. The6 could care less what they sell you or if you even like it.
When 8 go look at a car I know more about the ca4 than the sales guy does. Sometimes they’re surprised I know about the rebates I qualify for.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:41 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,570,976 times
Just go on Craigslist and get one.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:28 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,921,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You are confused. Sales guys don’t know the answers. They just wanna sell you the first thing you qualify for and get you out the door. The6 could care less what they sell you or if you even like it.
When 8 go look at a car I know more about the ca4 than the sales guy does. Sometimes they’re surprised I know about the rebates I qualify for.
8 totally agr3e!

I have used a car buying service the past two times and it was very smooth and quick for all parties. I suppose you can sometimes get a better deal by haggling, but I just don't have the skills or patience.

I also like to pay cash, when possible. The sales guy never seems happy with that, but on the other hand he has me in and out of his office in 15 minutes. Cha-ching! Print it, sign it, push me over to the guy with the keys. And he can move on to the next "up".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive