Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 07:53 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,139,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A 75-year-old man spent more than 13 hours trapped in his car, and now he’s sharing his story of survival with the FOX 8 I-Team, warning the same thing could happen to you.

Pete Pyros said, "And I can't believe I'm alive. Can’t believe I'm alive."

https://fox8.com/2018/09/06/i-team-m...-car-13-hours/
There are no manual door locks?? If you have no power you have to find an emergency lever under the seat.
WTF?? Leave it to GM/Cadillac. #JUNK #whackjobengineers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Im glad hes OK and all, but this is exactly what I was telling someone on another forum the other day. Older guy, been driving for years, thinks he knows all there is to know about driving, don't need to read the manual...……..Look at where it got him.
Have your daughters, mother, MIL, sister, grandmother, aunt all read their owner's manuals cover to cover on all the cars they have owned??

Old 09-12-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I bought a new car recently. They showed me what to do if the key fob battery went dead.
A LOT of people buy used.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Why is it only GM people are talking about what about the other automakers are their emergency handles in plain sight, funny I’ve been in many vehicles and I’ve never seen any emergency handles in plain sight but according to you all on here it’s just GM vechiles.
That's because other cars don't have a damn emergency handle to unlock the freaking doors.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I would have never guessed there is an emergency lever to open the doors - never heard of such a thing. Now I am curious how many cars have that.
Probably none outside the GM family.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:37 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
I dunno, 13 HOURS is a long damn time not to be able to figure this out.

You should know how to operate your car in all conditions as part of being a responsible driver. The fact that some of you are arguing against that proves that this is part of the dumbing down of society, and why we see such a lack of personal responsibility anymore.
This guy was *75 years old*. If he's a product of "dumbing down", then that ball was rolling long before either of us was born.

What a stupid comment.

And at that age, he's probably not in the best of health. Probably not as mentally sharp as he used to be. And the VAST majority of drivers have never read their owner's manual. GM knows all this, and sells these unsafe vehicles to people just like him every day.

Does your grandpa deserve to be cooked alive if he didn't read the owner's manual??

You shouldn't *need* a manual to open a door. That's a very basic function, and vital to safety. Do you need to read the manual to turn a steering wheel??

Old 09-12-2018, 09:13 AM

17,311 posts, read 12,245,675 times
You shouldn’t be driving at 75 if that’s the case.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:16 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
If the vehicle's electrical system fails, then the key fob isn't going to do anything. Trust me... I'm an engineer

That's funny! That's a good point too.

I was going to say dealers should teach new owners what to do, but later you mentioned people buy the cars used. Another good point. I'm afraid you're right. GM is gonna pay for the poor design.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
wrong again.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:38 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Go ahead and lobby to get the law changed if you feel that it's a worthwhile and noble cause to deny old people their independence and mobility. Old people vote though... they have nothing better to do. So good luck with that

But until your crusade against geezer-rights is complete, old, sick, and handicapped people drive and buy cars every day. GM is fully aware that they're selling to these people. Particularly with cadillacs which are in many cases *targeted* at the geezer market.

So IMO GM is selling vehicles that are demonstrably unsafe for the people buying them. I won't feel bad at all if they're held liable for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive