Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 03:57 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
This is what happens when styling and cosmetics takes priority over safety.

All 4 of our cars have manual knobs or levers to open doors from inside.
His car had a manual lever to open the door. He just didn't know where it was at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 04:47 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
In a simple world you'd be correct, but I'm afraid you couldn't be more wrong. Plaintiffs lawyers will be fighting to represent this guy (potentially wanting to create a class action suit) and go after GM, who has very deep pockets. The issue will be a products liability case and they will question if the emergency lever instructions are reasonable in their accessibility and execution. There have already been a few deaths related to GM's design in the Corvette. The guy might not get tens of millions of dollars, but GM would probably be forced to redesign their systems for safer use. It's not unlike the United passenger dragging incident...United made 10 policy changes to their practices the day of their settlement. I'm not a lawyer but I've seen a lot in my day.
Gm will bring up what the federal regulatory standards are regarding the emergency release. GM has it listed in their owners manual and that’s all they are obligated to do by law. If this lawyer wants to sue anyone it should be the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Overview: The NHTSA is the federal agency charged with regulating safety standards in the auto industry and transportation. But first they would have to force GM to do a recall with I don’t see happing.

Last edited by easy62; 09-12-2018 at 04:55 PM..

Old 09-12-2018, 05:29 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
That's not how this works.

That's not how *any* of this works.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:46 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
At least he wasn't, to quote the late Chris Varley, "in a van down by the river".

Old 09-12-2018, 05:58 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,964 times
Read your owners manual. If your car didn't come with one, you can get a copy on eBay for $10 or less. I feel bad that the guy spent 13 hours in a hot car, but it's nobody's fault but his own, and any lawsuit should be thrown out pretty quick.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
That's not how this works.

That's not how *any* of this works.
The way it works is let it go and move on, GM is not at fault their designs are all up to the NHTSA standards.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:16 PM

4,796 posts, read 2,800,346 times
Default There are lots of traps for those not mechanically inclined

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I would have never guessed there is an emergency lever to open the doors - never heard of such a thing. Now I am curious how many cars have that.
For a totally powered car lock & window & trunk release system? There has to be some way to get out, just in case - as in the case in point.

In case of power failure, there's also an emergency release for powered garage door openers. I've had to help a work buddy figure out how to get his garage door open without electricity.

If he - or anyone - can't be bothered to read their manual - or it's missing - @ least invest in one of those combination glass breaker/seatbelt cutter emergency hammers - & keep it in the glovebox, fer cryin' out loud.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:22 PM

Everyone is SUE happy these days trying to cash in on large corporations on frivolous lawsuits.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:50 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,212 times
This whole story stinks of lawsuit money grab. I don't believe this guy had a car with no manual door openers, had no owner's manual in the car (just how does that happen, who throws the manual away or stores it in the house?), and had no idea each door had an emergency door open switch. Sorry, not buying the story.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:23 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Everyone is SUE happy these days trying to cash in on large corporations on frivolous lawsuits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
This whole story stinks of lawsuit money grab. I don't believe this guy had a car with no manual door openers, had no owner's manual in the car (just how does that happen, who throws the manual away or stores it in the house?), and had no idea each door had an emergency door open switch. Sorry, not buying the story.
Ya got that right . . . a Free-For-All for Ambulance Chasers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive