Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 04:55 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times

Advertisements

This morning, I had to change the head lamp bulb on my Forester. Something I guess I had done before a time or two, but this time, it was very difficult to get the electrical connection off. So much, I was ready to revert to the Net.

Ready to but as I had to turned off the lap top for the night, I had to wait for a reboot and in that time, I was successful in another attempt.

Going to the Net is something I rather not do for I don't have the quota to find out how to do things via Youtube, probably don't have the time to go through this or that expert's instruction on how to do.

SO, is there someplace where one can get the complete manual, more than what the owner's manual provides, on how to do routine stuff like changing things on their car, any type of car (why it is here and not in the Subaru subsection). Perhaps some detailed PDF manual site somewhere?

I don't need to know it like a mechanic, just need something to instruct me so I don't need a mechanic to access user serviceable components.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 05:10 AM

1,663 posts, read 876,353 times
You can download Subaru factory service manuals here: https://sl-i.net/FORUM/showthread.ph...-Model-USDM-EU

Or ebay has actual books: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=subaru+shop+manual

Old 09-12-2018, 05:19 AM

And for the diesel F-250? As I said, any type of car.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:05 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
And for the diesel F-250? As I said, any type of car.

You're not going to get ONE book that covers EVERY car, so you look for the books that cover the individual cars you have. They are out there for pretty much every car, from Chiltons, or Haynes, or Bentley, depending on which car you're looking for.

I have dozens of books, covering the range of cars I have owned.

There used to be Motors Manuals for American cars of a general age range, where you could get that sort of information about all American cars of various years. But that was easy since most of them were basically identical with very little variation between models and manufacturers, so the books could be much more like a set of encyclopedias.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:35 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,468,466 times
Honestly, YouTube has been the best resource for me. The only downfall is when you get someone who takes way too long setting up the video; You know, they have to talk about why you should subscribe, what the problem is, and why that certain vehicle seems to be prone that sort of problem. I usually find myself skipping to the part where they actually start fixing the issue I'm looking for. So, it's a bit of trial and error, but for me, I tend to be more of a visual learner than reading a book.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:43 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,166,449 times
Quote:
This morning, I had to change the head lamp bulb on my Forester. Something I guess I had done before a time or two, but this time, it was very difficult to get the electrical connection off. So much, I was ready to revert to the Net.

Ready to but as I had to turned off the lap top for the night, I had to wait for a reboot and in that time, I was successful in another attempt.

Going to the Net is something I rather not do for I don't have the quota to find out how to do things via Youtube, probably don't have the time to go through this or that expert's instruction on how to do.

SO, is there someplace where one can get the complete manual, more than what the owner's manual provides, on how to do routine stuff like changing things on their car, any type of car (why it is here and not in the Subaru subsection). Perhaps some detailed PDF manual site somewhere?

I don't need to know it like a mechanic, just need something to instruct me so I don't need a mechanic to access user serviceable components.
Chilton or Haynes manuals are fine for learning basic maintenance. For more in depth stuff, use YouTube or buy the service manual.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:48 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
There is no universal guide for basic maintenance. There are probably some "auto repair for dummies" books out there, or something like that... but there are thousands of designs out there, so nothing like that will be truly comprehensive.

For basic maintenance in this days and age, honestly Youtube is the best resource out there. Just about any maintenance task you want to do, somebody has made a video of it.

For in depth repair, the factory service manual is the only way to go. Haynes and Chiltons are a waste of time and money IMO. The OEM service manual will generally cost more... but will pay for itself with the first successful repair.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:07 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Honestly, YouTube has been the best resource for me. ..... I usually find myself skipping to the part where they actually start fixing the issue I'm looking for. .....
Me too. I use the skip-forward arrow a LOT of times. But being able to actually see the component is often helpful.

To the OP: If you can, get the PDF version of the manual. I know some folks like to still have the 'dead-tree' version, to put post-it note book marks, comment in the margins, etc. but I find being able to do a keyword search an invaluable feature. And I have no qualms about printing out 6-8 pages of the manual and put in a clipboard to carry to the garage.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:50 AM

6,736 posts, read 4,418,450 times
Quote:

To get the connection off. On most vehicles. On the plug to disconnect from the headlight. There is a safety catch on the plug to push in or pull out, then pull the plug off. Without doing this first, you wont be able to disconnect the plug. Sometimes if its been on there for a while, and corroded. You might have to use something to pull or pry off the plug.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:29 PM

Youtube is nice but I can't afford it. It is ungodly, astronomically expensive. Any video is; hence I need something that presents it another way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive