Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 03:25 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,767,067 times

Advertisements

Time is money, folks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 03:28 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Time is money, folks

And you waste other people's time and money with your self-important behavior. Like I said, we get it.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:33 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,416,367 times
Those cutting in half of parts, and destroying parts you dont need to get what you. Is actually destroying their inventory they could of sold later. Some one may come in and looking for the parts you may have destroyed. Thats why some yards dont allow this. If the yard employee wants to unbolt a few things, and yank it out with the forklift, they can.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:44 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,476,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Difference being that it is their property.

Plus the fact that junkyard employees are usually not the brightest critters in the workforce.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:48 PM

If they're fine with sawzalls... then they're fine with sawzalls. What more is there to know?

Old 09-13-2018, 04:02 PM

149 posts, read 104,232 times
I would be more concerned with folks leaving cars teetering on blocks and rims once they get what they want. Some cars are almost like booby traps.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:33 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I’m restoring a 1989 gmc. I cant tell you how many times I’ve gone in just to find the truck and the part I ant is broken and you can tell it’s been torn off. It’s such a motherf’er A-hole moment.

If I had a junkyard I would never allow a pull your own. So many hard to fone valuable parts just bashed. I saw a guy cut a frame fenders hood fire support just to pull a Diesel engine out. Wrecked $1200 worth of front end sheet metal not to mention a few thousand worth of frame to get a engine and trans out.
Just about every 88-95 c/k I've ever seen has been desecrated and picked clean in a yard.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Pull-a-part yards mainly deal with common-as-dirt vehicles. Mass-produced commuter appliances with no particular collector value or performance potential. And even among those vehicles, the more desirable/valuable parts are often removed before the vehicle is put on the lot. If parts don't sell within a few months depending on the yard... off to the scrapper they go.

These are the Wal-marts of junkyards. Quick, simple, mass-produced junk turning a quick profit. Nothing wrong with that... that's perfect for the kind of vehicle I drive.

But by and large, these are not valuable parts or vehicles... and they warrant no special consideration. I'm not going to destroy commonly sold parts that are worth something. But wiring harnesses and hoses? Out come the side-cutters. Can't get to a particular bolt? Yep, I'll cut a chunk outta the frame.

90% of the time, it's just going to the scrap yard anyway. Junkyard employees know this, and that's exactly how they treat these vehicles.
In Pull-aa-Part I've seen
40s business coupe
MG Spitfire
60s Biscayne
Turbo Caravan

and other popular cars that are modded or just common such as my CVPI. Sometimes a junkyard is the only place you can get some parts. I was working on a friends 05 Impala and it needed a particular plastic line replaced that has to do with the EGR system. No parts stores, not even GM carries it. Has to come from another 3.8 v6... where... in a junkyard. You can rationalize it like that all you want, but it's the principal of the matter, that somebody is going to need those parts, even if it is to keep some old Pontiac 6000 on the road.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
In Pull-aa-Part I've seen
40s business coupe
MG Spitfire
60s Biscayne
Turbo Caravan

and other popular cars that are modded or just common such as my CVPI. Sometimes a junkyard is the only place you can get some parts. I was working on a friends 05 Impala and it needed a particular plastic line replaced that has to do with the EGR system. No parts stores, not even GM carries it. Has to come from another 3.8 v6... where... in a junkyard. You can rationalize it like that all you want, but it's the principal of the matter, that somebody is going to need those parts, even if it is to keep some old Pontiac 6000 on the road.
I've seen cool vehicles at the pull-a-part too. But the vast majority are massed-produced junk that nobody cares about.

If a part is in my way and cutting it is easier than unbolting it... I'm gonna cut it and go on about my day. Anybody else who works efficiently will do the same.

Sorry, life ain't fair

Old 09-13-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I've seen cool vehicles at the pull-a-part too. But the vast majority are massed-produced junk that nobody cares about.

If a part is in my way and cutting it is easier than unbolting it... I'm gonna cut it and go on about my day. Anybody else who works efficiently will do the same.

Sorry, life ain't fair
Yes, yes, and mouth-breathers such as yourself tend to lean things towards the unpleasant, more difficult for everybody else bullspit. I know life isn't fair, my life is more often than not utter effing bullspit, you're gonna tell me I'm black next, or my first name is also a nickname for Jacksonville fl? Any other things I know or live? Pathetic that you seem to lack a common decency for somebody in the same situation as you, trying to get their car back on the road, which is really all it comes down to. The ability to pick your own parts and walk a yard is beneficial not only in keeping prices low, but lets one see things, find things, some, such as myself find joy in walking through a yard. I might be an a-hole, but damn if I don't have some decent morality. You know; people can do bad all by themselves without pricks like you making things worse. LiFeS nOt FaIr...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive