Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 03:51 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times

Advertisements

Donate it. Most organizations will come pick it up and then you can write it off your taxes as charitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 04:06 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Donate it. Most organizations will come pick it up and then you can write it off your taxes as charitable.
Depending on the state laws and in some states the age of vehicle - a title is required to just give it away.

If a title is required. Just leaving it someplace - you potentially will incur towing and storage charges.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:58 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
given the tax law changes of the last few years, the "donation value" of an older vehicle, not in running condition, and without a title so that it could be transferred to a new owner for street use …

is essentially the "scrap value" by weight of the car.

So that's only a charitable donation of $100 or so.

The days of claiming a charitable donation high value comparable to the FMV of the same model car in good running order with a title for such a car are long gone. Most "charity" outfits will tell you these days to have the car taken to a wrecking yard because it's more trouble than it's worth for them to get such low value vehicles. The cost of a tow to them could easily be as much as the scrap value of the vehicle.

Last edited by sunsprit; 09-13-2018 at 05:25 PM..

Old 09-13-2018, 06:51 PM

757 posts, read 837,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoinettekunda View Post
Hi

First new to this platform, so apologize in advance if I am doing something wrong

I have a 2002 GMC Envoy (190k miles) that is licensed in AZ back in 2013. My husband died and I can't find the title. We moved to Los Angeles in 2012 and never transferred the license. I am having trouble getting rid of it as everyone seems to want a title. I have the death certificate and our marriage license.

It is not currently running (might start up with a jump) and needs new tires (front going flat). It has a new battery (2017), new radiator hose (upper 2018) and a new alternator (2018). I feel it will take to much money (at least for me) to get it running but it was a trooper when it was. It is in decent shape externally (no dents, bangs, etc) and internally it is also in good shape with the exception of the drivers seat which needs major upholstery work.

I am looking for ideas as to how to get rid of it. Thanks
I am not sure I understand. Does the vehicle have a current AZ license plate? You have new parts on it so that leads me to believe the plate is recent. AZ motor vehicle has an excellent online service and an 800 number. No doubt they will have forms available to transfer ownership IF there is no will. If you can get the vehicle into your name then you can sell it easy enough. The thing about AZ titles is you have to have a title transfer notarized. Obviously if you are not the owner then a notary is not going to notarize the title. As it stands you need to get the title transferred to you. Barring that you may be able to have the vehicle treated as abandoned. Remove the license plate and call the sheriffs department. Your local jurisdiction might remove it at no expense to you. Then it will be sold at auction with new papers generated for a new owner.

I have seen this all too often where a surviving spouse winds up in the exact situation. Complicating things is moving to CA and not changing the registration.

A last possibility is a buyer getting a title bond which substitutes for a missing or unusable title. You can investigate that and then advertise the vehicle for sale via a title bond. At the right price there are many buyers who will know exactly what that means. Assuming the CA has a title bond procedure .

I used to work at an MVD office in another state some years ago.

Start with the AZ motor vehicle website.

Good luck.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:41 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoinettekunda View Post
Hi

First new to this platform, so apologize in advance if I am doing something wrong

I have a 2002 GMC Envoy (190k miles) that is licensed in AZ back in 2013. My husband died and I can't find the title. We moved to Los Angeles in 2012 and never transferred the license. I am having trouble getting rid of it as everyone seems to want a title. I have the death certificate and our marriage license.

It is not currently running (might start up with a jump) and needs new tires (front going flat). It has a new battery (2017), new radiator hose (upper 2018) and a new alternator (2018). I feel it will take to much money (at least for me) to get it running but it was a trooper when it was. It is in decent shape externally (no dents, bangs, etc) and internally it is also in good shape with the exception of the drivers seat which needs major upholstery work.

I am looking for ideas as to how to get rid of it. Thanks
Save yourself the trip and phone DMV ahead about what documents you need and what kind of process it will take for you to get a title. If it is going to cost you for applications or court etc then I'd save myself from a migraine and call a wrecker to haul it off. The longer it sits the faster it will deteriorate;
belts, hoses, brakes either turn brittle or rust for example. It is in pretty bad shape from the sounds of it.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:05 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,918,607 times
Not trying to be cavalier but just park it on a street and let it get towed. Whoever tow it will do a lien sale on it if no one (you) inquires about it and they will mail you an intent to lien form. Ignore it and go on with your life. Not worth messing with.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:44 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
given the tax law changes of the last few years, the "donation value" of an older vehicle, not in running condition, and without a title so that it could be transferred to a new owner for street use …

is essentially the "scrap value" by weight of the car.

So that's only a charitable donation of $100 or so.

The days of claiming a charitable donation high value comparable to the FMV of the same model car in good running order with a title for such a car are long gone. Most "charity" outfits will tell you these days to have the car taken to a wrecking yard because it's more trouble than it's worth for them to get such low value vehicles. The cost of a tow to them could easily be as much as the scrap value of the vehicle.
The point would not be so much to get any type of real donation deduction, but to get rid of it. And yes, depending on state laws she may still need a title to do so. Same with giving it to a junk yard for scrap.

Go to you DMV and request a new title. Bring a death certificate and marriage license or executor documents.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:19 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
Not trying to be cavalier but just park it on a street and let it get towed. Whoever tow it will do a lien sale on it if no one (you) inquires about it and they will mail you an intent to lien form. Ignore it and go on with your life. Not worth messing with.
Cavalier? I thought it was an Envoy?

Old 09-14-2018, 08:20 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Take it to watts. Leave the keys in it and the door unlocked. Go home.
That is exactly what you should do. Take cash, and arrange a cab away from the area. Just take it there are park it, period.

I once left a car on a lift at the Midas Brake Shop in Kalamazoo, Michigan (a Chevy LUV truck). The turkey technician, who sounded like an extra from "Jim the burnout mechanic" on the show Taxi (1970s), was droning on about hundreds of dollars for brakes on a truck worth essentially zero. I said, "yeah, Jim, I'm going to go hit the ATM!" ...and walked away. I was in college and couldn't have put $500 cash together if it meant the firing squad. Could still be there for all I know/care.

Just deny everything if ever mailed garbage paperwork after. Obeying BS and byzantine "laws" in a BS state that penalizes taxpayers and glorifies/excuses bums and vagrants is by definition anarchy. Don't hesitate to join the outlaws in a state that jams on you for being successful and trying to follow the so-called law.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:22 AM

3 posts, read 9,423 times
thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive