Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 11:55 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times

Advertisements

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/loc...omplex#photo-2

And the car is just sitting on blocks? How do you fix this? You can't tow it. You have to put it on a flatbed. But wouldn't that cause damage to the axle/what's left of the car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 11:59 AM

957 posts, read 2,020,043 times
You put on another set of wheels and tires?

Then fix any rotor/suspension/rocker damage you probably have

Old 09-12-2018, 12:20 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Must be quite a cottage industry ;-) Bristol Police Warn: Protect Against Wheel Thefts

Bristol Police Warn: Protect Against Wheel Thefts - Courant Community

When I worked at a car dealer, I saw cars towed in with "junk" wheels/tires the tow co. put on so they could get the car on a flatbed tow.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:07 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Towing companies know what to do have you ever seen those little wheels on the side of a wrecker they are tow dolly’s Just for this type of situation. When they are strapped to the vehicle they can tow the rear end if rear wheel drive or the front if front wheel drive! I was a wrecker driver in the 70’s before flatbed tow trucks were around I drove a sling tow truck. I could back a vehicle hooked to my truck right into the garage onto the hoist.

Last edited by easy62; 09-12-2018 at 01:16 PM..

Old 09-12-2018, 01:21 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
Wheel locks, don't park your car outside overnight, etc.

When I was a teen, the wheels of choice to steal were the aluminum sport rims on the Integra Type R. Had a neighbor who had one, he and his brother always parked their cars outside in their parents circle drive, while the parents had their cars in the garage.

One night around 3am, thieves came by and stole two of the rims. Then I guess something scared them off, they left the car sitting on firewood logs.

So my neighbor obviously couldn't drive to school the next morning, so he rode with his brother. He didn't do anything to secure the wheels that were still on there, so... That night, the thieves came back and stole the other two LOL, and then the car was sitting on firewood all around.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:21 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Had a buddy who had the wheels stolen off his car. It was on a public street so the car was towed, er, dragged up a flatbed.

Then it sat at the tow yard until he could find another set of wheels to put on and get it out of there. Fun times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
One night around 3am, thieves came by and stole two of the rims. Then I guess something scared them off, they left the car sitting on firewood logs.

So my neighbor obviously couldn't drive to school the next morning, so he rode with his brother. He didn't do anything to secure the wheels that were still on there, so... That night, the thieves came back and stole the other two LOL, and then the car was sitting on firewood all around.
Wow. That sucks

Old 09-12-2018, 01:23 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Towing companies know what to do have you ever seen those little wheels on the side of a wrecker they are tow dolly’s Just for this type of situation. When they are strapped to the vehicle they can tow the rear end if rear wheel drive or the front if front wheel drive! I was a wrecker driver in the 70’s before flatbed tow trucks were around I drove a sling tow truck. I could back a vehicle hooked to my truck right into the garage onto the hoist.
That's not going to do any good if the thieves stole a front wheel and a back wheel, not to mention, chances are they'd still need to move the car first to be able to hook it up the tow truck without damaging the rotors.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:50 PM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Someone stole all 4 wheels from an extra plow truck of mine. Just left it on blocks until found used wheels for it. All trucks got locking lug nuts after that.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:52 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
That's not going to do any good if the thieves stole a front wheel and a back wheel, not to mention, chances are they'd still need to move the car first to be able to hook it up the tow truck without damaging the rotors.
Yes it will you only need these type of dollies and when the dolly’s are put on you can move that vehicle by hand. I guess you never seen in person how the dolly’s work. Movers use different tops of flat top dollies to move heavy furniture. This is what wrecker drivers do for a living they. If the wheels are missing you just lay the rotors in the middle and strap into place, then you can move it anywhere.

Attachment 202515

Last edited by easy62; 10-09-2019 at 07:08 PM..

Old 09-12-2018, 05:36 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
https://news4sanantonio.com/news/loc...omplex#photo-2

And the car is just sitting on blocks? How do you fix this? You can't tow it. You have to put it on a flatbed. But wouldn't that cause damage to the axle/what's left of the car?

The rotors/axles don't usually get damaged unless the vehicle is dropped. And the thieves usually can't get their jack out unless they put the car up on something- a chunk of wood, blocks, etc. lots of people take cars right from the dealer to the tire store & get a fairly decent credit towards fancy aftermarket wheels - so for common pickups or sporty cars, quite often it's possible to buy nearly-new factory wheels & tires.

Funny thing is, the addition of the "tire pressure monitoring sensors" (which really do suck!), has made it easier / possible to recover some stolen wheels - those tpms sensors store the vin of the vehicle they came on - so with a dealer scan tool, you can prove they are yours. Check the pawn shops just outside your city limits for your wheels & call the cops if you find them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive