Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How fast do you typically drive relative to the posted speed limit?
Up to 5 mph below the speed limit 5 3.18%
Up to the speed limit 10 6.37%
Up to 5 mph over the limit 56 35.67%
Up to 10 mph over the limit 56 35.67%
Up to 15 mph over the limit 19 12.10%
Over 15 mph over the limit 11 7.01%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 07:56 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,775,972 times

Advertisements

It really depends. If I'm driving with no reason to get to my destination quickly, I drive at the speed limit unless there's someone behind me with no reasonable chance to pass. Then I'll either pull over or go up to 4 over.

The better time I have to make on the road, the faster I go. By myself with no "shield cars" ahead or behind, I rarely do more than 5 over. (I have terrible luck with cops.) If I have a "shield car" in the front who is driving it like he stole it, I will usually match him up to 10 over. If the guy wants to do more than that, I'd better have a rear "shield car" going the same speed that I know can't be a cop. I've been known to do as much as 40 over, when I have good shield cars... but it's extremely rare that I do more than 15 over. I've gotten two speeding tickets but both came at times when I legitimately did not know that I was speeding. Any time I knew I was speeding, I've been fine. You have to watch the tail lights of the cars ahead of you and make sure that you aren't in line to be radar gunned before you have the chance to slam on the brakes. I've had very few instances where that has failed, and fortunately I wasn't going THAT fast at the time. (I always watch my rearview mirrors to see if the cop pulls out... and then stay near the speed limit for the next mile or so in case there's a second cop not far ahead who is receiving messages from the first cop. I've seen them play that game........ when they should be trying to stop crime...... but that doesn't bring in money for the city or state now does it?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 08:02 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,572,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Here in California that wouldn't be a big deal, but I'd recommend being VERY careful in Virginia! Isn't that the state where you can get a reckless driving charge for going over 80mph? I heard they usually end up reducing the charge, but it would still cost a pretty penny - and some folks have even served jail time for it. Crazy, I know.

I was recently in MD and VA (I'm originally from the area), and noticed my Uber/Lyft drivers going super slow; I asked about that, and they said it was because of those insanely strict speeding laws. Felt like we were crawling, lol.
Something wrong with Virginia. In Texas, speed limit is 85 some parts and sometimes.

In NJ the speed limit is pretty much just a suggestion. Want to do 75 in a 55(Garden State Parkway?) Go for it! Thats the flow of traffic, anyways. And there are 5 lanes... dumb road. But hey. You can see the police from far away, you know they MAY be behind the bridges, and people are gonna go 80 (or faster) anyways and cut over at the last possible second to get on Rt 22. Don't try to stop them, they gonna do it anyways. Just drive assertively... Dont be that one guy that thinks you are doing something but driving 50 in a 55. Only on Virginia would that be maybe accepted as cool. They also don't know what the left lane is for...

Old 09-30-2018, 10:51 AM

305 posts, read 724,057 times
No more than 5 over. 10 over if passing or extremely necessary.

I try to go fast enough to not get pulled over.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:50 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Here in California that wouldn't be a big deal, but I'd recommend being VERY careful in Virginia! Isn't that the state where you can get a reckless driving charge for going over 80mph? I heard they usually end up reducing the charge, but it would still cost a pretty penny - and some folks have even served jail time for it. Crazy, I know.

I was recently in MD and VA (I'm originally from the area), and noticed my Uber/Lyft drivers going super slow; I asked about that, and they said it was because of those insanely strict speeding laws. Felt like we were crawling, lol.
I'm REEEEALLY late to reply, but excessive speeding is a huge offense down in Virginia. My mom had been caught speeding in VA while driving down to Georgia once, and she had to take time off of work to drive down there and fight it. Her and my grandma warned me about speeding in that state; however, not only do I not drive often, but I also don't go south of DC too often. I'll probably just stay off of the roads and take Amtrak next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive