Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 08:31 AM

9,611 posts, read 21,135,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Whats your tag number? Care to give it out?
Which vehicle? I have three, you're welcome to them, just let me know and I'll check. I don't know them off the top of my head.

Although, the van will be getting a custom plate when it's due next time so I can give you that one. "M FOLEY". I keep it parked down by the river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 08:47 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,798,090 times
some people put the VIN, others don't, some don't hide the LP. From either you can run a search about the vehicle, and where it's been. Some don't want you to know it was bought in Houston (after Sept. 2017) while others do it, because they think that you can do a search and it will give out their home address. It Doesn't, and unless you're LEO, or some geek hacker that has too much time on his/her hands, they might be able to.
For the most part, it's futile, but if it makes them feel warm and fuzzy, who gives a rat's "gluteus maximus"

Old 09-14-2018, 09:15 AM

15,677 posts, read 20,170,578 times
Well, if this was a average Toyota Prius or a Chevy Malibu, it might be a little bit tinfoil hat to block your plate.

However, if the car in question is a highly modified, and very desirable type of vehicle or rare, it might be a target to thieves who do want it's parts and components. Think more enthusiast vehicles, vs a plain jane Ford explorer. Many people with such desirable cars/parts post in forums showing off what they have detailing out a pretty extensive mod list. It's basically a shopping list for anyone with similar tastes in vehicles who decides they would rather steal parts than buy them.

Now, I realize driving down the road, you can't block your plate. Go to a car show, and same thing. If you drive past someone who decides they want to run your plate, or follow you home and then steal your car..there's nothing you can really do about that.

At that point, you are just playing the odds game. What are the chances of driving past someone who takes an interest in your vehicle, and wants to steal is vs posting your car on an enthusiast forum with a nicely detailed list of whats in it and enticing someone to take note of your plate #, find where you live, and get themselves some nice goodies for their own vehicle. At least if you block your plate in online photors, you can reduce this possibility.

Years ago, I ran with a shady group and there was a guy who did exactly this. He would get plates run for him and he would steal the wheels or the entire car. He knew someone who was an insurance agent and could run plates for him. Was really quick and easy to do so.

Even today, if I really wanted to run a plate and get an address, I could make a call or two and get it done.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 09-14-2018 at 09:25 AM..

Old 09-14-2018, 10:03 AM

16,446 posts, read 19,462,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I've never understood why people do this, what possible infringement of privacy issues do they feel they are risking?
This can't be a real question. Because people are afraid I am going to look up your personal information and then come and kill you I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The reason they do this, of course, is because people are very protective of numbers that identify us.
This
Quote:
or else they will STEAL OUR IDENTITY! Hahaha...
All our lives, we're told not to give anyone our social security number, or our address, or our credit card numbers, or our phone number, or our birthday, or else they will STEAL OUR IDENTITY! Hahaha...
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Whats your tag number? Care to give it out?
Ohio plate: FBF 3659
Dox me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
And computer tech savvy people can trace who they are, where they live.
You watch to much TV. Yea, no one I personally know is as tech savvy as I am and I can't hack into the DOT database and find ANYTHING out about you. Googling your plate won't help me.
These don't work well:
https://www.autocheck.com/vehiclehis...-license-plate
https://recordsfinder.com/plate/
https://www.vehiclehistory.com/license-plate-search.php

Put your info in there. Find anything? Yes, there are paid services however
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Realize that for every person that as access to these systems, they know several other people that could just ask them to run a number for them and they would do it. For most location this would be maybe 30% of the population.
It is not 30% of the population. What a ridiculous made up statistic. How many people in your life do you think have access to someone (that is also pretty unethical) who would be able to truly run a license plate?
I know at least 30-40 people in my main circle... no one has access to that (except through me actually working at a law firm). Not one of those people would ever have the gall to ask me to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Now for the biggest morons, short wave licensed people sometimes put their call signs on their plates. All you have to do is google that number and it tells you everything you need.
Helpful to the 5% of the population that even a) knows what knows what short wave radio is b) know that numbers on a plate would equate to a short wave radio frequency or the 1% of people that would be so angry at short wave radio person to spend any effort trying to look him up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
They block out their plate to have people like the op to start a debate on CD. You know people have to post meaningless stuff on here that has nothing to do with anything automotive.
Wow. If you're not interested in this AUTOMOTIVE related question you could have just not said a word,
How rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
It natural habit to block out the plate. Yeah it’s pointless but now so many folks are used to doing it or seeing it that it looks weird without it.
Disagree. I think it looks weird when people do block out their plates. Looks weird without it?

If you can't tell it is one of my pet peeves when people ruin pictures of their nice cars with an ugly box around the plate because... they either don't know any better or are truly paranoid. Not talking about CL ads, but "Pic of my car" threads on car forums.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:15 AM

6,975 posts, read 5,294,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
This can't be a real question. Because people are afraid I am going to look up your personal information and then come and kill you I guess. Police can tun a plate and find out everything about were you live and people out their I’m sure others have asked their policeman’s friend to run a plate for them.

This

Ohio plate: FBF 3659
Dox me.

You watch to much TV. Yea, no one I personally know is as tech savvy as I am and I can't hack into the DOT database and find ANYTHING out about you. Googling your plate won't help me.
These don't work well:
https://www.autocheck.com/vehiclehis...-license-plate
https://recordsfinder.com/plate/
https://www.vehiclehistory.com/license-plate-search.php

Put your info in there. Find anything? Yes, there are paid services however

It is not 30% of the population. What a ridiculous made up statistic. How many people in your life do you think have access to someone (that is also pretty unethical) who would be able to truly run a license plate?
I know at least 30-40 people in my main circle... no one has access to that (except through me actually working at a law firm). Not one of those people would ever have the gall to ask me to do that.

Helpful to the 5% of the population that even a) knows what knows what short wave radio is b) know that numbers on a plate would equate to a short wave radio frequency or the 1% of people that would be so angry at short wave radio person to spend any effort trying to look him up...

Wow. If you're not interested in this AUTOMOTIVE related question you could have just not said a word,
How rude.

Disagree. I think it looks weird when people do block out their plates. Looks weird without it?

If you can't tell it is one of my pet peeves when people ruin pictures of their nice cars with an ugly box around the plate because... they either don't know any better or are truly paranoid. Not talking about CL ads, but "Pic of my car" threads on car forums.

It’s no one’s business why they do what they do, like me I’ve had my identity stolen 2 times so I’m a little paranoid about anything that is connected to my identity. And this is not automotive related it’s a license plate that has nothing to do about a vehicle,, it’s not part of the vehicle it’s for ID purpose only for the state. The vin number is part of the vehicle not the license plate.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:58 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,272,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Because they want to. That's a god enough reason.
That works for me as well, can't imagine why anyone else would mind or even care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

Years ago, I ran with a shady group and there was a guy who did exactly this. He would get plates run for him and he would steal the wheels or the entire car. He knew someone who was an insurance agent and could run plates for him. Was really quick and easy to do so.

Even today, if I really wanted to run a plate and get an address, I could make a call or two and get it done.
Sad but true, everybody "knows somebody".

Old 09-14-2018, 03:14 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,531,916 times
Yeah it's a weird random question that probably doesn't belong in the automotive subforum.
My thoughts are displaying your plate on a forum is the same as displaying your name and address, this is giving away your anonymity and completely different from someone who is soliciting buyers for a car on craigslist. Why would someone selling a car wish to remain anonymous - what sense does that make when all someone would have to do to get your identity is make an appointment to see the car? But why would someone care who owns the car that is being advertised, and what could they do with that info that the seller is trying to protect against?

Heres my car for sale - you can't see the plate for fear of you finding out who I am, but here's my phone number, text me so we can meet up = makes no sense.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:20 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,038,277 times
Quote:
or our credit card numbers
You do realize that every time you go to a restaurant, or buy something, you very sheepishly hand off your credit card to the waitress...

Old 09-14-2018, 08:42 PM

29,753 posts, read 11,352,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Well, if this was a average Toyota Prius or a Chevy Malibu, it might be a little bit tinfoil hat to block your plate.

However, if the car in question is a highly modified, and very desirable type of vehicle or rare, it might be a target to thieves who do want it's parts and components. Think more enthusiast vehicles, vs a plain jane Ford explorer. Many people with such desirable cars/parts post in forums showing off what they have detailing out a pretty extensive mod list. It's basically a shopping list for anyone with similar tastes in vehicles who decides they would rather steal parts than buy them.

All they would have to do is request to test drive it. At that point know the address and where it is parked. I am not sure what all this hiding would prevent with that.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:01 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,887,466 times
In a word: Paranoia.

As for the "short wave" (actually Amateur Radio Licensees) call-sign license plates, every time I talk on the radio, I must give my call sign at the beginning of the conversation, at the end of the conversation, and every ten minutes during the conversation. Any person with a receiver tuned to the frequency I am using can hear the conversation, and will know the call signs of all the operators involved. A search of the FCC or ARRL websites will give all the information about those call signs. Often, when participating in an emergency situation, the call sign license plate helps identify the person as a Ham Operator. That can simplify things greatly for the operator and the entity he/she is assisting.
I no longer have the call sign license plates, because I wanted to put PERMANENT registration on my vehicles, and the FCC license expires every ten years. The State will not allow the PERMANENT tags on a call sign plate, so I got Navy Veteran plates instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive