Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 05:37 PM

16,541 posts, read 19,668,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
It’s no one’s business why they do what they do, like me I’ve had my identity stolen 2 times so I’m a little paranoid about anything that is connected to my identity. And this is not automotive related it’s a license plate that has nothing to do about a vehicle,, it’s not part of the vehicle it’s for ID purpose only for the state. The vin number is part of the vehicle not the license plate.
It's a license plate. License plates go on cars. On cars. We're talking about photos of cars. How this not related? Nothing at all wrong with it being here. Lighten up.

Some of us are talking about selling cars. I can see it there. What's the big deal if the plate is blocked.
But on car forums or Reddit...I like pice of cars and dint like blocked plates unless it's done well. And it rarely is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 07:24 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,116,680 times
The REAL question is why so many people question what other people are doing when it doesn't affect them...

Old 09-15-2018, 07:46 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,409,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
The REAL question is why so many people question what other people are doing when it doesn't affect them...
Exactly why does it matter what people do, how does it effect their life.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:49 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,570,976 times
If you're a police officer and have access to that little computer in the cop car, then you can know where someone lives (or where the registration says they live) off a plate.

Otherwise... no danger.

Except maybe if there's a scam artist trying to phone in an accident claim.. I really don't know

But I agree.. making the plates illegible in a photo is silly.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
If you're a police officer and have access to that little computer in the cop car, then you can know where someone lives (or where the registration says they live) off a plate.

Otherwise... no danger.

Except maybe if there's a scam artist trying to phone in an accident claim.. I really don't know

But I agree.. making the plates illegible in a photo is silly.
To you it’s silly but not to the ones who do it why does it bother people, looks like people have to complain about everything these days even a trivial thing like why people block their license plates out, who cares. I’m sure you do things that others think is silly also.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:02 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,116,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
To you it’s silly but not to the ones who do it why does it bother people, looks like people have to complain about everything these days even a trivial thing like why people block their license plates out, who cares. I’m sure you do things that others think is silly also.
Yeah like posting silly threads aking why people do stuff...

Old 09-16-2018, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Yeah like posting silly threads aking why people do stuff...
Yes like this whole discussion about why some block out their license plate. We’re do people come up with these stupid topics. I guess people have to be nosy about why people do what they do that doesn’t effect their lives in anyway. Like i said before who in the heck cares why they do it.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:34 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,965,657 times
Quote:

That, at least, is easy to answer.
It is, quite simply, a desire to understand why people do what they do.
I hate to admit it (I don't much like psychology or psychologists), but it is a psychological thing.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:24 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,044,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I've never understood why people do this, what possible infringement of privacy issues do they feel they are risking?
I don't get it either. The last car I sold on CL, not only did I include a picture of the license plate, but I included a picture of the VIN number as well. So they could look up all the details they wanted. A guy drove 150 miles to pick up the car that night. Would he have still driven 150 miles to get the car if I hid the car license number? Maybe, maybe not. Personally I think it's a red flag if the seller hides the license number. If they do that they are trying to hide something, or maybe they are planning to rob and murder you, and don't want any evidence.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:37 AM

30,393 posts, read 21,210,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I've never understood why people do this, what possible infringement of privacy issues do they feel they are risking?
So they can't be killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive