Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 03:20 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
It’s because they have the wprld’s most annoying fanboys. Same thrill people would get if Apple went under.
Hey, I keep a special jar of premium popcorn on hand for that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Still seems like a trivial reason to wish the failure of the first mass producing American automaker in decades... it would cause alot of hard working Americans to lose jobs.
Um, what? Tesla's "mass production" is a fraction of most major brands here. They're killing themselves trying to build 5000 cars a week; Ford, the smallest US major, builds 12000 a week with capacity to spare.

Tesla employs about 37,000, only some portion of which would be totally unemployed if the company shut down. (Subsidiaries like the battery factory would likely continue.) While that's not insignificant, it's not really a reason to prop up Tesla in any major way, either. Most work in areas where they could be equivalently employed after a long weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 03:29 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post

Um, what? Tesla's "mass production" is a fraction of most major brands here. They're killing themselves trying to build 5000 cars a week; Ford, the smallest US major, builds 12000 a week with capacity to spare.

Tesla employs about 37,000, only some portion of which would be totally unemployed if the company shut down. (Subsidiaries like the battery factory would likely continue.) While that's not insignificant, it's not really a reason to prop up Tesla in any major way, either. Most work in areas where they could be equivalently employed after a long weekend.
Ford is not the smallest of the big3 Chrysler is. And when i worked for Chrysler back in the late 70’s we were putting out 55 pickups an hour and when i got transferred to the K car plant we were putting out 72 cars an hour. And Ford builds build one F-150 every 52 seconds at their Dearborn F150 assembly plant. Can Tesla do that.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:19 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post

And this is why we should all be totally cool with the company failing? And by the way Tesla currently employs closer to 50,000 employees. You are citing the 2017 figure.

Old 09-20-2018, 04:34 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
And this is why we should all be totally cool with the company failing? And by the way Tesla currently employs closer to 50,000 employees. You are citing the 2017 figure.
The sooner it fails the better, before it gets too many more employees. It’s one thing for a company to fail during record unemployment, it’s another to fail later with more people once the economy starts slipping again. Now is the time.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:28 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Capitalism is allowing the weak and infirm companies to fail, so that valuable human capital can be put to productive use. Tesla doesn’t have a mass-produced $40k electric car now, and their first $80k cars are already going obsolete and dated. By the time they are able to actually produce a “cheap” electric car in volume, the design will have aged out & won't be fresh enough to sell in quantity. And there’s no measurably updated “cheap” car in the pipeline. A minor redesign isn’t going to justify the price premium necessary to support the company, and they’re already out of cash to fund a major redesign. Heck, the plant looks like a literal dump from the air right now.

Tesla doesn’t have any “right” to exist as a company & they really haven’t innovated beyond the competition in any measurable way. Their current plant was very efficient & made twice as many nummi-cars with half the workers when it was a gm/Toyota plant - cars that are still sought out by cheapskates across the country because of their low prices & high quality.

Hindsight being perfect, a government infusion of the same amount of dollars Tesla got to design & market a new nummi-car would have been a much wiser investment and could have provided half the jobs but been actually sustainable beyond the hype period of Tesla.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:39 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Ford is not the smallest of the big3 Chrysler is. And when i worked for Chrysler back in the late 70’s we were putting out 55 pickups an hour and when i got transferred to the K car plant we were putting out 72 cars an hour. And Ford builds build one F-150 every 52 seconds at their Dearborn F150 assembly plant. Can Tesla do that.
There is no “big 3” anymore, it’s more like the big 2 now, I see more Kias than Chryslers. I’m not even sure I consider Chrysler a domestic brand anymore.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:16 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Capitalism is allowing the weak and infirm companies to fail,

Tesla doesn’t have any “right” to exist as a company

There's a difference between letting capitalism work and actively rooting for a company to fail. The righties want American manufacturing come back, and then actively root for one of those manufacturing firms to fail. Hypocrites.

if Telsa fails, it fails. If it succeeds, it succeeds. I prefer an American company to grow and flourish.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:20 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
There is no “big 3” anymore, it’s more like the big 2 now, I see more Kias than Chryslers. I’m not even sure I consider Chrysler a domestic brand anymore.
Chrysler is still considered the big3 and they are still making American vehicles made and assemble here in the USA sure they use some Fiat platforms but so does Ford when they were with Mazda, and GM with Daewoo platforms and Swedish when they owned Sabb. Chrysler still has stamping plants and assembly plants throughout the Midwest and Canada.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:27 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Tesla doesn’t have a mass-produced $40k electric car now, and their first $80k cars are already going obsolete and dated.

they really haven’t innovated beyond the competition in any measurable way.

Listening to some of you constantly whine about Tesla once a month is making me root for Tesla. Elon makes plenty of mistakes, but his cars are definitely impressive. The Model 3 (or M3 in some circles ) may have a few panel fitment issues, but I have yet to see a review complaining about performance. And even with this impressive performance, these cars seem to be the most efficient electric car of up to 130 mpge - better than the i3, Leaf, or Bolt. Even the preliminary reviews of the eTron indicate that it the lacks performance and range of the Tesla.

Say what you want about Elon, or the panel gaps of the Models 3's but criticizing the technology of the Tesla is 'ludicrous'. If there is no advantage, then why can't I go out and buy an electric vehicle from a competing manufacturer with the same or better performance, range, and efficiency? Statements like yours reeks of lack of knowledge or blatant narrow mindedness. I WISH there was a mainstream manufacturer that had an electric car to compete with the Model 3, as I would prefer to buy one of those over a Tesla, however, they just don't yet.

As for obsolete, is there another EV on the market that bests the Model S yet? The upcoming Porsche Taycan might, but then again, it might only have build quality advantages, as I'm not seeing massive performance or range advantages. If there was no innovation beyond the competition yet for the S, why isn't there another car even LIKE it yet?

Old 09-20-2018, 08:57 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
There's a difference between letting capitalism work and actively rooting for a company to fail. The righties want American manufacturing come back, and then actively root for one of those manufacturing firms to fail. Hypocrites.

if Telsa fails, it fails. If it succeeds, it succeeds. I prefer an American company to grow and flourish.
What makes you assume everybody who wants Tesla to fail is a righty? Not everything is politically motivated.
Capitalism is an American thing, not a right or left thing. Every single lefty software exec is a caplitalist through and through.

A true capitalist wants to see the weak rooted out as quickly as possible before it become a large and weak inefficient company that then gets “too big to fail”. Tesla’s has proven it has absolulty no interest in efficiency. Elon even admitted he doesn’t really look at return on investment. He just wants things that are “cool” as any bored workaholic billionaire would. How many of their executives even have automotive manufacturing experience? Their execs are mostly washed up silicon valley types. They’ve chosen the longest most painful way to profitability and then don’t understand why it’s such a shorted stock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive