Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 11:40 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times

Advertisements

The only backup camera I like and use is the one at the back of my truck. It's quite handy when coupling a trailer to the truck since I don't need anybody to guide me back. I just watch the ball getting exactly under the coupler before I get out of my truck, even at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 12:23 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Yes they can! That's assuming they aren't parked between two SUVs.
Generally in parking lots they are parked between other cars. If there are no other cars, then they shouldn't be backing up at all. The should just drive straight through.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:31 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You can't see 50 feet away? Wow. You probably shouldn't be driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
???????You can't see 50 ft to the side while backing up? You do know 50ft is not very far. The length of my rancher perhaps. A tractor/trailer is probably a bit longer then 50 ft. But 50 ft is out of the range of any backup camera I've seen.

At 30 mph the other car would impact your car in half a second. Even if you could see the other car 50 feet away, it would just be a blur before you would feel an impact and your car would be spinning. No human can react that fast. So that is not a skill necessary to be a good driver.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:53 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
At 30 mph the other car would impact your car in half a second. Even if you could see the other car 50 feet away, it would just be a blur before you would feel an impact and your car would be spinning. No human can react that fast. So that is not a skill necessary to be a good driver.
??? When I see a car approaching from 50ft away (or 100, or 200, etc...) I don't pull out of the space. I let them go by first. I'm not in that much of a hurry to rush out, get creamed, and take even longer to get to where I'm going. I wait. And seeing a car approaching at those distances is quite easy.

BTW, I look before pulling out, as well as while pulling out. No camera can see at those distances.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:32 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
I actually was one of those "I don't need this Nanny-aid" people in the beginning.

But my Taurus has a nice 9" screen, with a pretty wide field of view. It's very useful for seeing cross-traffic, and on occasion, I've used it exclusively to drive in reverse (on a private road..not a public road) and love how much a I can see.

I still check my mirrors, but the camera is just pretty damn good and a useful tool.

My wife still turns around in her '17 Traverse with camera but she's an overly cautious driver in general

Old 09-20-2018, 08:42 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I like mine, but I do not use it exclusively and I find it a problem if you do.

Those cameras show you basically what is behind you. They do not show you what's 50 feet away coming towards where you're backing up at 30mph. They don't have a wide enough angle.
Exactly. I was backing out of my driveway and I could see directly behind me but there was a car approaching from my left that was NOT in the camera field of vision. Had I relied solely on the camera - I would have backed out in front of the approaching vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
It's a tool to help cover a dangerous blind spot. It's not a substitute for looking.
Totally agree. I know too many people that have backed into other cars while looking through their back up camera!

Old 09-20-2018, 08:43 AM

35,062 posts, read 31,284,584 times
To me, the backup camera is like cheating. I've always been terrible backing up. I can do things with the big display and backup camera on my Jeep that I couldn't do in smaller, more nimble vehicles on my own.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:57 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Exactly. I was backing out of my driveway and I could see directly behind me but there was a car approaching from my left that was NOT in the camera field of vision. Had I relied solely on the camera - I would have backed out in front of the approaching vehicle.

And if you were relying only on your mirrors you would still have backed out in front of that approaching vehicle, Does that mean mirrors are useless and bad to have? Hmm? Of course not. Tools are tools, and you use them wrong at your own peril.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:45 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
I use my backup camera and mirrors. No more neck craning.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:02 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
I don't like them. For my last purchase, when I narrowed my decision to two cars, I chose the one without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive