Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 08:49 AM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
To give a concise answer:

Yes, it is possible to convert a Smart car into a mower; all it takes is sufficient time and money.

With 35 years of mechanical engineering experience behind me I can guarantee that the time and money to do so will far exceed what it would take to buy any reasonable ready-made alternative.

If you have the skills to do this, it would be a weird/cool/interesting thing to see. However, anyone with the skills to do this would not be asking a bunch of random strangers on the internet whether it could be done.
Post #13 is the answer. I’m sure you can find a turf tires to fit the car. I don’t understand all the negativity that’s been given (not from you) I actually find it interesting. I own a lawn service, so the hot and cold plays a role.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 10:33 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
you can buy this:

Or

Quote:
This one of a kind air-conditioned mower cab features a 22,000 BTU air condition unit with a 39,000 BTU condenser. The Air-Conditioner is designed to produce the highest capacity possible from a compact.unit. The resin housing is tough and good looking--perfect for our cab. The condenser is both rugged and versatile, allowing us to mount it without being on the roof top, thereby adding to the sleekness of the machine.
https://cabnair.com/

Old 09-25-2018, 02:35 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
I would use it all year as a farm utility vehicle, so the heat would be great for the winter. It would be use it for fixing fences and other tasks. This would be similar to how some use Gators. I mow about 2 acres up around the house and I also mow some trails around the place. A trailer on the back would be perfect for hauling tree limbs, brush etc. and moving stuff around. A used Smart car appears to be about half the cost of a NEW Gator.
You know, you can buy a used tractor or gator or other side by side for your purposes...For the same price as your used smartcar. I know it seems like your getting a car and not a tractor, but remember that the tractors and smartcars sell for the same amount brand new.

The thing is, you'll tear the snot out of the smartcar in a hurry. The first wayward stone is going to gut it.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:42 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
What kind of "farm" and "rural area" do you live in that a Smart car could drive around on with it's street only ground clearance? It would be hard to think of a worse utility vehicle than a Smart car.

I think it's a troll thread.
Best answer so far!

Old 09-25-2018, 07:13 PM

13,644 posts, read 9,698,765 times
All whimsy aside, there is a vexingly serious problem here: how to service multiple acres of rough, hilly ground in a wet, agriculturally-oriented climate... at moderate cost... in comfort?

Proper commercial-grade landscaping equipment is shockingly expensive, and for some reason, depreciates very slowly. In my part of the world, it is not at all outlandish to spend more money on such a machine, than on one's house!

If grassland is neglected, it only takes a few seasons before the "lawn" becomes unmowable by traditional mower decks, whether towed behind a vehicle, or suspended beneath it. I don't see how to do it, short of a dozer... but even the dozer might have difficulty negotiating steep hills, and waterlogged terrain. Has anyone priced a dozer lately?

Ideal would be a Jeep-style vehicle, with a power-takeoff at the front differential... with a hydraulic system of supporting a flail-style mower, and an armored cab to protect the operator from debris ejected at high speed. Is anything available along such lines?

Old 09-25-2018, 09:08 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
All whimsy aside, there is a vexingly serious problem here: how to service multiple acres of rough, hilly ground in a wet, agriculturally-oriented climate... at moderate cost... in comfort?

Proper commercial-grade landscaping equipment is shockingly expensive, and for some reason, depreciates very slowly. In my part of the world, it is not at all outlandish to spend more money on such a machine, than on one's house!

If grassland is neglected, it only takes a few seasons before the "lawn" becomes unmowable by traditional mower decks, whether towed behind a vehicle, or suspended beneath it. I don't see how to do it, short of a dozer... but even the dozer might have difficulty negotiating steep hills, and waterlogged terrain. Has anyone priced a dozer lately?

Ideal would be a Jeep-style vehicle, with a power-takeoff at the front differential... with a hydraulic system of supporting a flail-style mower, and an armored cab to protect the operator from debris ejected at high speed. Is anything available along such lines?

How many years could you pay for someone else to do it for what it would cost to do what the OP is asking? Sit on your porch and watch someone else do it.

Old 09-26-2018, 04:48 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
Turf tires and a pull-behind independently powered mower would probably work. I think the pull behind mowers are as large as 5 feet wide. If I find a good price on a used Smart car, I believe I will check it out. I would like the 3 cylinder diesel engine if possible. I think the ac and shade would be great, along with the stereo. A Smart car only weighs about 1,500 pounds. A turf golf cart weights about a 1,000 to 1,300 pounds, so I am not concerned about the weight on the grass. I have some tractors, but I was really looking for an economical route with ac and shade.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:16 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Let’s move this to the landscape fourm this has nothing to do with automotive none what so ever. This is a joke tread and is beyond stupid.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:47 AM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Let’s move this to the landscape fourm this has nothing to do with automotive none what so ever. This is a joke tread and is beyond stupid.
So someone came up with an idea of using a road legal vehicle that can drive on a freeway, to pull a cutting deck around there property and it has zero to do with automotive?!?! You do realize they could detatch the deck and drive to the store to buy beer to drink while cutting the lawn when it’s 105 and sunny, all while sitting in ac and listening to radio? Old people just hate change

Old 09-26-2018, 06:49 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Can a mower deck be mounted on a Smart Car?

Given enough time and $$$, anything can be mounted on anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive