Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 01:06 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Have also done a trade-in. Waited 10 weeks for new ordered vehicle to show up.

If some are impulse buyers then they will pay impulse prices.

Like I said you’re a very very small section of the car buying public. You’re not even anywhere close to the average buyer. Neither am I. I have not walked on a car dealers lot without knowing exactly the vehicle I’m looking for and the exact amount I’m willing to pay for over 24 years. Maybe when I was a young kid I got shafted a few times. But now? No way. I have no problem walking out, running a car finder or ordering one. But then I only buy a car when I need a car. Not just because I Willie Nilly decided I want a new car
The average buying public walks on the lot completely uninformed about what they need or how much they can afford. That’s why dealer make a crap ton of money. Cars have also gotten expensive due to the additional safety and government mandated things lien fuel,economy and safety. Someone has to pay for all that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 01:09 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,573,440 times
New cars for sure cost too much, to the point where they don't even make sense.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:12 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
No, cars are priced exactly where they should be. Too many buyers think they entitled to a high feature car, when all they can afford is the base model. In this case, they should buy used.
There appear to be tons of would-be buyers and would-be sellers. A small proportion actually complete the transaction. The higher the seller asks, the less bites he'll get. Often, this number is 0. He'll swallow his pride and remove the listing, re-list it next week and change the price to "$1", change the mileage from "170,000" to "170".

Fudging numbers in ads to appear at the top of the results when sorting by that value should result in the administrative deletion of such ads. It's not like someone's going to fall in love with a car that has fake numbers and just hand you twice the appraised value of the vehicle, despite approaching the end of its useful life and many trips to the shop ahead.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:20 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,670,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post

I don't think it's fair to compare the prices of todays cars with cars from yesteryear because they are better in every way by miles. Cars decades ago were incredibly simple and didn't last very long compared to modern cars, you get a ton more for your money than you used to. After you adjust for inflation, value needs to be added for a ton of research and engineering that went into it. That said, I would still never be willing to suffer the first few years of a vehicle's depreciation loss simply because I could afford the monthly payment. I'm glad there are those who are willing though, so people like me can take them off their hands when they are ready to bend over for their next new car purchase.
Vehicles of today may get better fuel economy and have higher content but I would say with the exception of the up and coming brands out of Korea I don't think vehicles are higher quality than 15 years ago...really I would say the opposite is true.

Cheaper materials...

Unperfected technology....

Ext.

If you are talking waaaay back in the day like the 80s yeah obviously vehicles last longer now.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:24 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
A few years ago a buddy of mine took me to his local Ford dealership to get a part for his car. I looked at the F-150's on the lot as I have never owned a pickup before, so just wanted to check them out. I always had a perception they were relatively inexpensive, utility vehicles. Boy, was I wrong. STICKER SHOCK. The average price was around $50K, and this was a few years ago!

Old 09-25-2018, 02:22 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
I think new cars are too expensive.I buy used and save the difference.I pay with cash and let someone else eat the depreciation.I am never getting a new car.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:33 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
are new cars too expensive?
no.
new pickups and SUV's are.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:12 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Vehicles of today may get better fuel economy and have higher content but I would say with the exception of the up and coming brands out of Korea I don't think vehicles are higher quality than 15 years ago...really I would say the opposite is true.

Cheaper materials...

Unperfected technology....

Ext.

If you are talking waaaay back in the day like the 80s yeah obviously vehicles last longer now.
Some are trying to compare vehicles from the 70s, 80s and 90s to today's vehicles factoring for inflation, and that was mainly what I was referring to. Vehicles from those decades and prior are primitive pieces of everloving crap compared to today's vehicles (yes, I know, nostalgia makes some of them practically priceless despite the fact they drive like dump trucks). There is obviously a much smaller gap comparing a 2019 model with a 2004 model than comparing it to a 1974 model, but it's still pretty sizeable. Vehicles just keep improving by leaps and bounds afaic.
I stay 10-20 years behind technology, I'll buy a 2018ish model in 2028 or therabouts and drive my recently bought 2010 and 2008 models till then. Every time it's time to replace my old vehicle I'm amazed, but not nearly enough to pay for it in real time.

Last edited by duke944; 09-25-2018 at 04:21 PM..

Old 09-25-2018, 04:19 PM

45,376 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
A few years ago a buddy of mine took me to his local Ford dealership to get a part for his car. I looked at the F-150's on the lot as I have never owned a pickup before, so just wanted to check them out. I always had a perception they were relatively inexpensive, utility vehicles. Boy, was I wrong. STICKER SHOCK. The average price was around $50K, and this was a few years ago!
That's partly because they've transitioned from utility vehicles to personal vehicles (think the mid-70s Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, Regal, Cutlass Supreme and Thunderbird-personal luxury coupes).

You can still get a bare bones truck, except bare bones has a different definition now than 40 years ago. I have had two "bare bones" F 150s-the 2014 is way more equipped and the 2003 had standard features that were options in the 1970s.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:28 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
I just watched a video where the couple bought a nice used 42 foot luxury 350 or 400 hp diesel RV and a new Jeep to tow behind it. They said the Jeep cost more.

When my truck was new, it cost more than my brother's first two houses - combined.

I have seen luxury diesel pick ups hit and exceed $80K. You can buy a pretty nice house for that in many places.

Loans have grown with prices. 72 months seems to have become the standard and a friend of one of my kids just bought a new car with a 96 month loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive