Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 10:06 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Sticker price maybe, but nobody pays sticker price. My F-150 was a special order, and I didn't even pay close to sticker price for it, so I certainly wouldn't for something that's been sitting on the lot for months.

2019 (not an '18) F-250 single cab 4x4, XL trim with power locks-windows and backup camera, with the diesel engine for $45,000.

Not a Ford man? Here's a RAM that might tickle your fancy. That one's a great deal, it's a Crew Cab 8' box Tradesman 4x4, but it has power windows-locks, keyless entry, Sirius radio and backup camera for under $45,000. Don't like RAM either? Maybe a bow-tie is more your style? Another Crew Cab 8' box diesel 4x4, this one has the larger touch screen with voice recognition, Onstar, power windows and locks, keyless entry and a sprayed on bedliner. All for under $50,000.

Here's a truck you would like, 2018 F-250 SuperCab with the 8' box, XLT trim (although not loaded), and diesel engine for under $50,000.
Even if you take 5/7k off the sticker you’re still up there. You’re not getting 10k off sticker price. No matter how you slice it new trucks are expensive. Considering dealers don’t like to keep base and mid level in stock you’re gonna have a hard time finding the cheaper trucks
You’re still looking at 50k for a truck.
My trucks are paid off and run great. Why would I waste my money on a new truck when I dint need one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 10:16 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I am not sure the OP would consider a truck affordable for "only" $50,000.
I was directing my post at electrician4you, as most people don't need a 3/4 ton diesel pickup that can tow 17,000 lbs.

Here's a brand new Ford Escape, with power-heated seats, power operated rear hatch, rear parking sensors, voice operated Navigation with 8-inch touchscreen, four-wheel drive, keyless entry, power and heated mirrors, and airbags all over the place for a tick over $23,000. The dealer also purports to throw in a "lifetime powertrain warranty".

What was $23,000 getting you back when cars were supposedly affordable?

Old 09-23-2018, 11:43 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Many, like me feel that used cars can offer better value.
Depends on the brand. Definitely on something like a Ford or Chevy. When it came time to buy/replace our Subaru we were going to buy used. However Subarus hold their value well. Did the math and found buying used we would save 20% over new on a Subaru if we went with a Forester that was 30-%40% used up. Ended up buying new. No regrets

Old 09-24-2018, 05:00 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
I was directing my post at electrician4you, as most people don't need a 3/4 ton diesel pickup that can tow 17,000 lbs.

Here's a brand new Ford Escape, with power-heated seats, power operated rear hatch, rear parking sensors, voice operated Navigation with 8-inch touchscreen, four-wheel drive, keyless entry, power and heated mirrors, and airbags all over the place for a tick over $23,000. The dealer also purports to throw in a "lifetime powertrain warranty".

What was $23,000 getting you back when cars were supposedly affordable?
No you’re right. Most people don’t need a diesel, but I see a lot of diesels that have spotless beds never had a hitch ball installed in the hitch and the 5th wheel caps were never touched.

And those cars you’re pulling up i guarantee you the dealer may have maybe 2 on the lot. Usually you see the ad with “one at this price” and the sales guy can’t find it” or “it’s been sold already “. Some big volume dealer may have a plethora.

As far as I can remember (say around 1994) 23k got you what was considered fairly luxurious at the time. Power seat windows doors leather was considered add on items. A base vehicle was thousands cheaper.
We bought our GMC Jimmy for 24k. 10 years later we bought a leftover 04 Sorento for 24k. Both were fully loaded for their time. To but the exact thing today (package wise) you’re looking at 35k. Sure you can buy a Ford Escape but it’s a lesser car than what you bought before at 25k.
Really doesn’t matter. I just set a budget and I don’t go past it. I don’t need all the fluff that cars cone with.

If people stayed within a need not a want bracket they would buy affordable cars. Most don’t some do. Unfortunately for me a diesel adds 10k to the purchase price and I’m stuck with a 3/4 or 1 ton. My camping trailer weighs about 10,000 pounds empty. A 1/2 ton would be having a hard time towing it. Yes I know some 1/2 tons are rated to tow 10k. If you ever towed max tow capacity with a 1/2 ton....it’s a interesting ride. I’ve towed with gas trucks and it was a pain. I’m just happy my diesels run great and aren’t problematic.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:28 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Even if you take 5/7k off the sticker you’re still up there. You’re not getting 10k off sticker price. No matter how you slice it new trucks are expensive. Considering dealers don’t like to keep base and mid level in stock you’re gonna have a hard time finding the cheaper trucks
You’re still looking at 50k for a truck.
My trucks are paid off and run great. Why would I waste my money on a new truck when I dint need one
My 2017 F150 4x4 XLT 5.0 V8 sticker was $46,800, and I paid 35,000. That’s $11,800 off. Considering that in 1990 I paid $25k for a bare bones Bronco, $10,000 more 28 years later doesn’t seem bad.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:27 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,132 times
New are overpriced. Look for a great deal on a 2-3 year lease return that's sold as certified. Could get the vehicle at half price versus new sticker. Unless your one of them that HAS to have a new vehicle.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:35 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
I've always bought 1-2 year old "used" cars. Just seem like better deals, especially if they are some sort of luxury vehicle. Every car I've purchased "felt" new, still had factory warranty, and drove like a brand new car....just with 20-25K miles on it that someone else drove.

If it knocks 15-30% or more off the new price...i'm fine with that. I'd rather put that money into something like my house or investments

Old 09-24-2018, 07:47 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
And those cars you’re pulling up i guarantee you the dealer may have maybe 2 on the lot. Usually you see the ad with “one at this price” and the sales guy can’t find it” or “it’s been sold already “. Some big volume dealer may have a plethora.
My neighbor would always purchase the on sale bare bones extended cab 4X4 new pickup. The advertised price.

He always got it. He would drive 2 states to get it. He would telephone ahead. Ask if truck was still for sale and in stock. He would then have them hold it and state that he was coming up that day to buy it. Always seemed to work for him. I was his ride to get truck. Did it twice that I know of as I gave him the ride.

Always worked for him.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:54 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
New are overpriced. Look for a great deal on a 2-3 year lease return that's sold as certified. Could get the vehicle at half price versus new sticker. Unless your one of them that HAS to have a new vehicle.
I have to repeat the "lease" story.

Neighbor leased a new vehicle. 3 year lease. He never did any maintenance to vehicle. Never changed the oil. Nothing. His philosophy was that since he didn't own the vehicle he is not going to pay a dime in maintenance.

When he was about to turn in. His wife happened to check the oil. It was black and barely showed up on dip stick. Wife had the oil changed before he turned in.

Vehicle did look new. But someone is getting a off lease vehicle that burns oil and probably has permanent engine issues.

So much for a good clean used off lease vehicle.

Obviously, this may not be how all off lease vehicle are. But how can one find out. Unless the selling dealer has all records of maintenance and oil changes.

Too much of a gamble.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:02 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I've always bought 1-2 year old "used" cars. Just seem like better deals,
Those are at most 2 or 3 grand off of brand new, and have 30K on the clock. Carmax is full of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive