Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 11:10 AM

15,216 posts, read 8,823,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by townshend View Post
Spot on.

Read the following two articles:
https://www.thetrace.org/2017/04/roa...hootings-guns/
Looking at that map, it's lucky he is driving in one of the more civilized states. Try doing that in Houston or Memphis.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:18 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,532,798 times
Here's a real road rage I've encountered. There's a merge from 2 lane to 1 lane and I was side by side with a Dodge truck. I sped up to get ahead before the merge and the truck driver mashed the gas and went off the road to get side by side with me and raised his finger at me and pulled in front of me and brake checked on me. So I pulled around him and got off the side road and then got around him then other cars got into the 2 way road and he was stuck behind 3-4 cars.

I didn't understand why someone just snapped or had road rage on a simple road merge scenario. It isn't like I purposely went around to cut him off. We were side by side and there was nowhere for me to go but to merge but he obviously didn't take it well. These kind of road rage is completely unnecessary.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:22 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,536,523 times
OP, think about it. Someone shows you that they are a rude a$$hole by cutting you off, you already know what that person is. Then you honk at them, and are surprised at their response. Of course they are going to flip you off, they are rude a$$holes to begin with. Your surprise defies logic. Don't honk at people who have already identified themselves as a$$holes.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:36 AM

1,517 posts, read 979,204 times
Quote:
When I get cut off in traffic which happens often, I'll usually hit the horn. Drivers respond by giving the finger.

Let me guess. OR or CA plates?

Old 09-29-2018, 12:37 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,281,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 36_Chambers View Post

Moving on...instead of focusing on use of the horn (which was never my question in the first place), is anyone able to answer my initial question: why do people react with middle fingers and aggression when they're calling out on doing something wrong and dangerous? They are in the wrong. How can they be angry at someone else for their incorrect actions?
Some people are always angry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Looking at that map, it's lucky he is driving in one of the more civilized states. Try doing that in Houston or Memphis.
See, this is an occasion where I'm NOT glad to see my town made a list!

Old 09-29-2018, 12:41 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,036,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Do you consider someone cutting you off that is merging onto the same freeway you merged onto and needs to get into the same lane as you and that might require a tiny adjustment to your speed? Or someone signaling to get into the same lane as you to get off the freeway that also might require a slight adjustment to your speed to facilitate that for them?

I’m not saying that you do but there are plenty of drivers out there who actually go out of their way with glee to ensure others are not able to otherwise safely move about lanes because it might require them to actually acknowledge that they are sharing the road with others.

Honking is done to warn someone of imminent danger, not to express anger.

If I could, I'd copy this and paste it on every steering wheel of every car in America. Well written and correct.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:51 PM

672 posts, read 689,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I stay in Memphis. This has really ramped up in last 2-3 years but was rare prior to this. For the most part I only use my horn when absolutely necessary, as in, a imminent potential accident for this very reason. On occasion I still use it when I get cut-off or someone does something stupid but my life is worth more than a minute of irritation.

Last edited by dc1538; 09-29-2018 at 01:02 PM..

Old 09-29-2018, 12:57 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,281,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Do you consider someone cutting you off that is merging onto the same freeway you merged onto and needs to get into the same lane as you and that might require a tiny adjustment to your speed? Or someone signaling to get into the same lane as you to get off the freeway that also might require a slight adjustment to your speed to facilitate that for them?

I’m not saying that you do but there are plenty of drivers out there who actually go out of their way with glee to ensure others are not able to otherwise safely move about lanes because it might require them to actually acknowledge that they are sharing the road with others.

Honking is done to warn someone of imminent danger, not to express anger.
There sure are. The drivers bolded above can cause accidents that are usually found (by insurance companies) to be the fault of the victims, while the gleeful drivers sail off into anonymity, wiping the sweat from their brow.

"Wow, that could've ended badly."

Old 09-29-2018, 01:20 PM

2,872 posts, read 2,037,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Not sure where are you from?
But here in the United States, hitting the horn is looking for trouble.
In places like Italy, Spain, Brazil, etc, is pretty normal to hit the horn.
So, do not hit the horn again.
Brazilian people are great. I always tell my friends they are a friendly people that will give you the shirt off their back unless you're trying to get your bag at the airport or driving in traffic. Those two things seem to transform them!!

Old 09-29-2018, 02:10 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,553,195 times
I'm on Garden State Parkway North, doing 75MPH. Cars are passing me doing 80. Who is going to give me a ticket?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive