Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 10:15 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times

Advertisements

Electric bikes are a close in commuters dream. Lots of naysayers on here, again looking at their own lives and how previous choices have prevented them from realizing the savings in both money and time a much simpler lifestyle would offer.

My point is there can be an alternative life for you long term if you buck the trend and think out of the box. One with a lot less hassle and headache. It might involve some planning and long term investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 10:21 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
I love the convenience of Lyft and do use it to avoid paying for extended parking or areas with limited or undesirable parking.
I also live on an area where I have never had to wait more than ten minutes for a ride, it's often been more like five.

Would not give up the convience of an SUV good luck finding a Lyft driver who wants to load their car with bags of mulch or drive you and your vomiting Siberian Husky to the vets office.

Young single urbanites who never really stray far from home may be able to make dependency on ride sharing work but for anyone else it's going to be costly and somewhat limiting.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:30 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Electric bikes are a close in commuters dream. Lots of naysayers on here, again looking at their own lives and how previous choices have prevented them from realizing the savings in both money and time a much simpler lifestyle would offer.

My point is there can be an alternative life for you long term if you buck the trend and think out of the box. One with a lot less hassle and headache. It might involve some planning and long term investment.
Yea, that electric bike will be great for the commute, to get some household goods (just got a bunch of paver bricks from Home Depot), and to bring the family out. Not seeing the savings as I still will have the car, I guess save some gas, but still have the cost of of the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I love the convenience of Lyft and do use it to avoid paying for extended parking or areas with limited or undesirable parking.
I also live on an area where I have never had to wait more than ten minutes for a ride, it's often been more like five.

Would not give up the convience of an SUV good luck finding a Lyft driver who wants to load their car with bags of mulch or drive you and your vomiting Siberian Husky to the vets office.

Young single urbanites who never really stray far from home may be able to make dependency on ride sharing work but for anyone else it's going to be costly and somewhat limiting.
Lyft is great when needing a taxi, would never depend on it as my only source of transportation unless need to. I learned from experience living in DC all those car-free people love to use the person with the car for things like grocery shopping, shopping in general, the "hey, next time going to Shenandoah, I want to come!" because they have no means to get there unless they rent a car, the always bring their pet to the vet because hardly any Lyft/Uber will allow it, etc.

I find those that are car-free have a very limited lifestyle and area of living, they stay very close to home...works for some, but not for me, hell, I just did a 116 mile round trip just to eat at a specific restaurant today.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:54 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Must all be all New Silent Generation or Generation Z.or Millennials or Generation Y posting on here because my generation is laughing at this topic.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:13 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
Wheelsup, I would have loved living close to my work, but doing so would have at least doubled my housing costs. It was a technical job, not easily replaced that I really liked, I made a 33 year career out of it, but had to commute 22 miles per day round trip. And again, an electric bike in Chicago would have been good for maybe 6 months a year, and that's if I didn't get killed on the congested streets between home and work. Plus, since I worked long hours, I took the dogs to day care for several years, not doable on a bike. The money I made easily paid for the cost of a car (much less than the $0.50 per mile you quoted, probably closer to $0.30 - for example, I put 90,000 miles on one car that got 25 mpg that I paid $5000 for and very little in repairs). Shunning the convenience, time savings, and freedom of an automobile would have been the dumbest move I ever made. Now that I'm retired, I drive a lot less (maybe 6000 miles per year, unless I go on a long trip), and again, have no intention of moving into the city where I wouldn't need a car. In fact, my plan is to move as far away from Chicago as I can, it's a friggin' cesspool as far as I'm concerned. Masochism for the sake of frugality may be your thing; I chose comfort and convenience at a reasonable cost.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:53 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Must all be all New Silent Generation or Generation Z.or Millennials or Generation Y posting on here because my generation is laughing at this topic.
And next week, when your gen is gone, the discussion will continue.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:00 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
And next week, when your gen is gone, the discussion will continue.
My generation is far from gone because we still have the buyer power your generation wishes it has and in full control of this country.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
My generation is far from gone because we still have the buyer power your generation wishes it has and in full control of this country.
Right.

If "62" is your birth year, I'm senior to you. I just don't have a pissy sense "we" are the rightful owners of the world.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:45 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
"Cars cost a fortune in maintenance and insurance and just the amortization, which means as they go down in value, you're losing money," O'Leary explains. "Let's say I pay $25,000 for it. Two years later, it might be worth only 12 [thousand dollars]."

That why buying a used car, that's been inspected, a better value. The value has dropped enough to make it possible to buy for cash and usually has a warranty still in effect (Hoping it's transferable)

Old 09-30-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
"Cars cost a fortune in maintenance and insurance and just the amortization, which means as they go down in value, you're losing money," O'Leary explains. "Let's say I pay $25,000 for it. Two years later, it might be worth only 12 [thousand dollars]."

That why buying a used car, that's been inspected, a better value. The value has dropped enough to make it possible to buy for cash and usually has a warranty still in effect (Hoping it's transferable)
Not news to most savvy buyers. The greatest cost of a car is in its first year of operation. Choosing a near-mint lease return vehicle with 30k miles and two years of new rubbed off can save more than 50% in the long run, and with very little downside. Careful third-party purchase can save even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive