Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 10:57 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I prefer this over the Camaro.
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Superbird - Model RM. 375 bhp, 440 cu. in. OHV V-8
I loved the old mopar muscle cars they upped the muscle car game with their cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 02:01 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,287 times
I don't like classic cars modified. It ruins them.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:39 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
The hood needs to go, it looks to be a safety (outward vision) problem for pedestrians and other vehicles.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:44 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,563 times
It's a drag car, it has a roll cage which is required to be able to run under a certain time. Under the hood is a blower set up. Everything done to it that isn't stock has been done for the drag strip, not to look cool or any other reason.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:00 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I prefer this over the Camaro.
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Superbird - Model RM. 375 bhp, 440 cu. in. OHV V-8
I know a guy who was in a bike/car accident. He was what he refereed to as bread and buttered. They (the bike group) were going around the car; the car for some reason turned the wheel to take some of them out. I'm not sure what bike he was riding; he wasn't a Harley guy; but he was a quadriplegic from it. Hew bought a few muscle cars, this was one of them. Was a beautiful car that unless you were me wouldn't see often even back then in the late 80's to early 90's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Love it, 67 Camaro rs/ss. Hate the hood but that is an easy fix.

I like a 69 Mustang fastback more, though I would love to have either of the two.
That's my kind of muscle too. I had a 69 Stang (like a Grande) and a 67 deluxe fastback that I was restoring. My ex made me sell it, biggest mistake I ever made.

Old 09-30-2018, 02:38 PM

217 posts, read 381,786 times
To truly do this right, you should include 3 pictures.... exterior like you have done. Under the hood and then an interior picture. But, I like your concept.

To me, while I certainly appreciate numbers matching vintage cars, but they're not for me. I want elite performance, and old muscle is flat-out slow overall. Hence, my favorite type of a car is an older body style updated with modern performance. Retromod works for me.

I like this car... would be a hoot to drive.

On a side note, a rollcage in your street car doesn't hurt anything if done right. I have one in my C6 Z06 vette and I don't even notice it. Removable sidebar is a big help.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:40 PM

141 posts, read 504,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
It's a drag car, it has a roll cage which is required to be able to run under a certain time. Under the hood is a blower set up. Everything done to it that isn't stock has been done for the drag strip, not to look cool or any other reason.
I'm betting that car sees way more street time than it ever does on a drag strip. Lots of pro street cars were built back in the day to look like a drag car but were never ran down a drag strip.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:16 PM

468 posts, read 355,850 times
Back in the late 60's there was a Chevy dealer located in Baldwin, Long Island called Baldwin Chevrolet and they hooked with a cat named Joel Rosen of Motion Performance and they built the baddest Camaro's in the land

An article about one of their customers and what happened to his special order SS 427 Camaro.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...-motion-camaro

More on the Baldwin - Motion creations ..and then the government stepped in .

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...tion-supercars
Attached Thumbnails
Evaluate this car (classic car, etc chat, discussion)-baldwin-motion-camaro-ss-427.jpg   Evaluate this car (classic car, etc chat, discussion)-motions-super-vega.jpg  

Last edited by NY 915; 09-30-2018 at 07:24 PM..

Old 09-30-2018, 08:18 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times
It is a longstanding debate, as to whether modifying an older/collectible car is gauche and offensive, or whether it's the most reasonable thing to do, to a sporty car that was intended to be driven spiritedly. The matter is unimportant when the subject cars are plentiful and cheap. Camaros were plentiful at one time, and relatively cheap. Neither is true today. But as the generation that grew up with those cars comes to age-out of the phase of life, where working on those cars (let alone driving them), perhaps opinions will again shift.

I personally prefer the simplicity of such cars, the ease of working on them, the visceral connection between the driver's actions and the machine's response. This to me is more important than quarter-mile numbers, or skid-pad numbers. But I'm not a sufficiently dedicated fan, to car for matching-numbers or punctilious detail to authenticity. Modifications done to the subject-car may (depending on quality) be quite welcome. Agreed on the excess of that hood, though.

As for the role cage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Lost View Post
...On a side note, a rollcage in your street car doesn't hurt anything if done right. I have one in my C6 Z06 vette and I don't even notice it. Removable sidebar is a big help.
The chief detriment is that in a proper roll-cage, with a tube running parallel to where the upper edge of the doors meets the roof-line, the expectation is that the driver will always be wearing a helmet. Otherwise even in the most gentle of collisions, one's head would hit the subject bar, causing serious injury. It becomes ungainly and annoying to be wearing a helmet everywhere that one goes.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:43 AM

217 posts, read 381,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

As for the role cage...

The chief detriment is that in a proper roll-cage, with a tube running parallel to where the upper edge of the doors meets the roof-line, the expectation is that the driver will always be wearing a helmet. Otherwise even in the most gentle of collisions, one's head would hit the subject bar, causing serious injury. It becomes ungainly and annoying to be wearing a helmet everywhere that one goes.
The Main hoop is behind the drivers head and in my case, behind the head rest of the seat.... for my head to hit the rollcage, it would first have to literally go through the seat. But, I guess this depends on the type of car you have. But, if you have a head rest, you really can't hit it with your head. I'll add, most run padding on the rollcage as well. It's readily available and cheap. This is all with a 5 or 6 pt cage.... a 10 pt cage wouldn't be much different, but would now have a bar running horizontal at the roofline and front windshield meet..... but that is too high for the head to go, unless of course you didn't have your harnass or seat belt on.

A funny car cage is a different animal.... you have to run a helmet with those.

Real problem with a rollcage, is that it eats space, especially the rear points. Mine go into my hatch, hence limiting space back there a little bit.

Just my opinion anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive