Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 04:29 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times

Advertisements

With bluetooth I haven't had Satellite radio in years. Pandora, I Heart Radio, Spotify and a few others, it doesn't make sense. Even upgrading to premium I spend less than $4 a month. I think my Pandora is only $2.99 a month.

You make your own radio station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 04:58 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,339,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
With bluetooth I haven't had Satellite radio in years. Pandora, I Heart Radio, Spotify and a few others, it doesn't make sense. Even upgrading to premium I spend less than $4 a month. I think my Pandora is only $2.99 a month.

When Howard Stern moves his program to I Heart Radio or Spotify, I will drop them. Until then, I will keep playing the "I can't afford that, can you do any better?" game with them.

Pandora is now owned by SiriusXM, fyi.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:47 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I had Sirius XM twice. The first time I got it, I was single, didn't have anything better to spend my money on, and wanted to know what it was like to have a subscription. So, I went out and bought the portable XM radios that you hook up in your car. In my old Sentra, I had it playing through the Aux, in my Mustang, I had it playing through the FM transmitter.

The sound quality wasn't what I had expected. I figured because the radio was one of those portable radios, that the sound quality wouldn't be as good as what you'd get with a head unit that had XM built in. I cancelled my subscription after about a year. The next time I got it was when I bought my Honda Accord in '11. Got XM free for three months. During that three months, I had forgotten I had it and hardly ever used it. So, I decided I'd do the six months for $25 - pretty good deal! I made sure to use it during those six months, but man, same exact sound quality as what was on that portable radio I had gotten. I liked the hairband and 80's stations the most, but I realized I had most of all the music on those stations - in much better quality on my iPod as the sound quality via XM, so I cancelled again.

Honestly, XM might be best for those stations like the comedy stations, Stern, or sports, but it is not good for music in my opinion.
That's why I have it and for the rare times I find a decent metal song on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
The best I ever got was around $5 / month. I just called them right before it was time to renew and told them (nicely) it wasn't worth any more than that and they could sell it to me for that or I could cancel.

I dumped them when I signed up for Google Play music
Same as everyone else, bought a used car, it came free. I rarely listened to it till it was too late then liked it. We let it expire they sent deals in the mail. I believe hub got it for $4 a month for a year because I've had it since Christmas

Old 10-03-2018, 07:21 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
I had Sirius XM twice. The first time I got it, I was single, didn't have anything better to spend my money on, and wanted to know what it was like to have a subscription. So, I went out and bought the portable XM radios that you hook up in your car. In my old Sentra, I had it playing through the Aux, in my Mustang, I had it playing through the FM transmitter.

The sound quality wasn't what I had expected. I figured because the radio was one of those portable radios, that the sound quality wouldn't be as good as what you'd get with a head unit that had XM built in. I cancelled my subscription after about a year. The next time I got it was when I bought my Honda Accord in '11. Got XM free for three months. During that three months, I had forgotten I had it and hardly ever used it. So, I decided I'd do the six months for $25 - pretty good deal! I made sure to use it during those six months, but man, same exact sound quality as what was on that portable radio I had gotten. I liked the hairband and 80's stations the most, but I realized I had most of all the music on those stations - in much better quality on my iPod as the sound quality via XM, so I cancelled again.

Honestly, XM might be best for those stations like the comedy stations, Stern, or sports, but it is not good for music in my opinion.
Did you ever consider that the issue might be with the low quality OEM radio systems in the Honda Accord and your earlier cars as opposed to XM? Try listening to XM in through a premium radio system instead. My car has a Meridian Surround Sound System putting out 1300 watts through 26 speakers. I guarantee you that if you listened to XM through such a system you'd be blown away by the sound.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:29 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,085 times
yes, renewed mine in March, 12 months, $ 60 . plus taxes. just let it run out for about 2 weeks, they beg you to come back and offer tons of discounts.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:33 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

We drive frequently in areas with no or little data service available, but the satellite radio works virtually everywhere except tunnels and between very tall mountain passes.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:02 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I enjoy several of the Sirius music channels. It sort of provides a curated playlist that I can venture out from if I want to. I got the six month, $30 package a few months ago. Yes, you have to be religious about canceling it and renegotiating the deal, but they have excellent service. It's also the only reliable way I can Reds games on radio here in Tennessee.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:12 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Did you ever consider that the issue might be with the low quality OEM radio systems in the Honda Accord and your earlier cars as opposed to XM? Try listening to XM in through a premium radio system instead. My car has a Meridian Surround Sound System putting out 1300 watts through 26 speakers. I guarantee you that if you listened to XM through such a system you'd be blown away by the sound.
I do have the premium sound system installed on my Honda.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:21 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
I got it for 6 months for $25, which wound up being something like $4.10/month.
Mine was the same I think but point still stands. $5... $4.10.... 90 cents. Come on OP... you going to quibble over 90 cents? Do the $5 deal. It's a good deal still. Like 66% off.
Anything else we can help you with?

Old 10-03-2018, 08:33 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Mine was the same I think but point still stands. $5... $4.10.... 90 cents. Come on OP... you going to quibble over 90 cents? Do the $5 deal. It's a good deal still. Like 66% off.
Anything else we can help you with?

Yes, a Bose sound system. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive