Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 11:16 AM

24,363 posts, read 22,935,890 times

Advertisements

I had an oil change yesterday and while I was waiting the service rep came out and said I had a dirty air filter and they suggested I replace it. I thought I had had it done last year, but I said okay since it was only like $20 installed. So today I checked my service records and I had had it replaced last April, 6 months and 4000 miles ago. I don't live where its dusty, if anything its been a very wet spring and summer. I'm not super mad although now I'm tempted to open the filter housing and see if whats in there is a new one or if they left an old one in and just billed me $20 for nothing. And now I'm wondering if they even replaced the oil or oil filter. Dealers can think they're making a fast buck this way but if they lose a repeat sale down the road or have customers go elsewhere for service, they really are fools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 11:21 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,555,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I had an oil change yesterday and while I was waiting the service rep came out and said I had a dirty air filter and they suggested I replace it. I thought I had had it done last year, but I said okay since it was only like $20 installed. So today I checked my service records and I had had it replaced last April, 6 months and 4000 miles ago. I don't live where its dusty, if anything its been a very wet spring and summer. I'm not super mad although now I'm tempted to open the filter housing and see if whats in there is a new one or if they left an old one in and just billed me $20 for nothing. And now I'm wondering if they even replaced the oil or oil filter. Dealers can think they're making a fast buck this way but if they lose a repeat sale down the road or have customers go elsewhere for service, they really are fools.

They get to say that whole "You should change the air filter at the same time as an OC" thing... They are basically making you feel like you aren't taking care of your car if you don't.

Whether or not they did change it (does it look like it was never touched? Same dirt around the area of etc) or whether or not they "gotcha" is all relative.

If I can't do something in my driveway with ramps, a ratchet set, catch pan.. (The initial investment is quite high, but will pay for itself in later uses. Assuming you can hang on to the equipment) I'm not doing it, if it is a maintenance vs a "repair."

And some of these repair prices are quite high.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:43 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,689,793 times
Service writers are just car salesmen who can't make the bigger cut, quite often working on a commission or quota basis.

One of my kids is a (commercial) mechanic and loathes the service writers for loading on unnecessary services like this.

Last edited by Quietude; 10-03-2018 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-03-2018, 11:58 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,901,778 times
Quote:
I had an oil change yesterday and while I was waiting the service rep came out and said I had a dirty air filter and they suggested I replace it. I thought I had had it done last year, but I said okay since it was only like $20 installed.
Seriously, if you are unable to check something as simple as this yourself, find a relative or neighbor to check for you.

Should be able to check the oil and the transmission fluid. Some automatic transmissions are "sealed". Therefor one should check the owners manual to find out when to change.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:27 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,061,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Service writers are just car salesmen who can't make the bigger cut, quite often working on a commission or quota basis.

Not usually true, in fact, as the other thread on this subject went over. I was a service writer for a Honda/GM dealership and was salaried and made no commission or bonuses for upselling. Every service writer position I've looked at was similar.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:22 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,689,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Not usually true, in fact, as the other thread on this subject went over. I was a service writer for a Honda/GM dealership and was salaried and made no commission or bonuses for upselling. Every service writer position I've looked at was similar.
I've known far too many to the contrary. Some manufacturer/dealers make them salaried positions; others make them commission. But even the salaried ones are often pushed to load up ROs with marginal services like cabin filters, tire rotation and the like.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:43 PM

5,918 posts, read 6,417,452 times
I always changed my air filter every time I changed the oil, regardless if it looked like it needed it or not. Of course, this was back when oil and filters were dirt cheap and I had the time to do it all myself. I still, at least, change the air filter myself though, and it's usually more frequent than once an year.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:01 PM

13,644 posts, read 12,298,450 times
I will say about the cabin air filters, replacing them does seem to cut down on dust and smells. Noticeable if you have a black interior. For the engine air filter? Meh, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:12 PM

949 posts, read 566,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post

One of my kids is a (commercial) mechanic and loathes the service writers for loading on unnecessary services like this.
Mine was a mechanic that wanted to get away from that side of the business. It helps because he understands my comments and questions better than someone without any hands on training.
Good ones are really hard to come by today.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:17 PM

1,271 posts, read 1,229,119 times
Quote:
I had an oil change yesterday and while I was waiting the service rep came out and said I had a dirty air filter and they suggested I replace it. I thought I had had it done last year, but I said okay since it was only like $20 installed. So today I checked my service records and I had had it replaced last April, 6 months and 4000 miles ago. I don't live where its dusty, if anything its been a very wet spring and summer. I'm not super mad although now I'm tempted to open the filter housing and see if whats in there is a new one or if they left an old one in and just billed me $20 for nothing. And now I'm wondering if they even replaced the oil or oil filter.
I would have just said, regarding the air filter, "Thanks for letting me know. I'll take a look at it when I get home."

I do my own oil changes so I never have to wonder about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive