Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 03:37 PM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
LOL. Fair enough. After 5 hours on the road picking up the Typhoon, taking pics wasn't a priority. I'll pull it out of the garage this weekend and post a few pics.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 08:45 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
I still remember the Car and Driver issue where they raced a Syclone vs a Ferrari 348 and the Syclone won.

They also recorded a 4.7 0-60 during their testing, though most mags/tests had it at 5.3 sec. The Typhoon was just a tick or two slower. You had to really launch them hard to get an ideal launch with the AWD, and most tests did not do that.

Horsepower was on point at 280hp, but that's not the story here, they had 360 lbft of torque, that's what made them so explosive off the line back then. It's still a healthy number today.

Congrats on the purchase, enjoy

Old 10-14-2018, 10:53 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Mopar guys really have nothing in the modern era that's "ultra rare" even Vipers are buckets of bolts that are shat upon on the regular by StangTards and TunerBois.

Leave us be, for we are but dust in the wind in the grand universe of prized automobiles.
Yeah , all those guys like to brag how much faster they are than a stock viper after they modify the crap out of their ricer or mustang. Do similar mods to the viper and they get real quiet.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:32 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
That's an above-average repaint, I would say you bought it well. Would still recommend you resist the urge to mod it. But it's your truck, do what you want.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:21 PM

297 posts, read 166,653 times
So... i have two comments. Do with them what y'all wish.

1. Back in 2008 when the iPhone became "affordable" some entrepreneurial mind decided to write/publish an app whose name was "I am rich" and all it did was display a glowing red light on the phone's screen. Cost, 1000 USD.

2. My daily driver is a 2007 police Expedition with 55K miles. Bough it for 4k with 47k miles. I'd say that year/mileage/configuration/price is damn rare. Better yet, it's all black but the roof is white. I'm willing to bet that is an ever rarer color combination. And to make it even rarer, in the absolute unique range, I painted the body myself, with a roller and Valspar Tractor Paint. HA!

Now that out of the way...

I do want a truly rare car someday. 1966 AMC Marlin. No hangups on color combo.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:36 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,148,399 times
That looks great OP, love it. Always thought those were cool back when they were new. It's nice to see one in such good shape, enjoy it!

Old 10-17-2018, 04:21 PM

Default amc ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukumjacka View Post
So... i have two comments. Do with them what y'all wish.

1. Back in 2008 when the iPhone became "affordable" some entrepreneurial mind decided to write/publish an app whose name was "I am rich" and all it did was display a glowing red light on the phone's screen. Cost, 1000 USD.

2. My daily driver is a 2007 police Expedition with 55K miles. Bough it for 4k with 47k miles. I'd say that year/mileage/configuration/price is damn rare. Better yet, it's all black but the roof is white. I'm willing to bet that is an ever rarer color combination. And to make it even rarer, in the absolute unique range, I painted the body myself, with a roller and Valspar Tractor Paint. HA!

Now that out of the way...

I do want a truly rare car someday. 1966 AMC Marlin. No hangups on color combo.

You're obviously not an enthusiast. There are many low production collectible cars that I'm not particularly enamored of, but I still recognize their significance. The fact that you equate an Expedition to a Typhoon speaks volumes about your understanding, or lack thereof, of historically noteworthy cars. Even the Marlin, which, unlike your Expedition, is actually something special, was produced in significantly higher quantities than the Typhoon. Yet, somehow you consider the Marlin to be "truly rare" but equate the Typhoon to a common-as-dirt Expedition. Let me guess, you also think a Buick GNX is no more special than a Camry because it's based on a Regal? The final Typhoon to roll off the production line sold at Barrett-Jackson for $51,800. I'd like to offer a bone stock Expedition auction sale price for comparison, but, well, nobody cares

I'm particularly amused by non-enthusiasts who mock color combo production figures. Go to ANY collectible car enthusiast forum and color combos production numbers are a common topic. It's not a "hang up", it's something owners of rare vehicles like to talk about.

I'm not sure why you even posted to this thread. Frankly, your post is nonsensical in the context of the topic at hand.

Seriously, an Expedition? Even funnier is that you went out of you way to mention that it's the bottom-of-the-barrel version, probably with rubber flooring and plastics seats.

Last edited by YourWakeUpCall; 10-17-2018 at 04:48 PM..

Old 10-17-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
That's an above-average repaint, I would say you bought it well. Would still recommend you resist the urge to mod it. But it's your truck, do what you want.

The urge to mod is strong, but I think I'll focus on refreshing the suspension/steering and getting everything working like new again before doing any modding. There's some stuff missing: the owner's manual, spare tire/mount/cover, the "Typhoon" embroidered driver's side floor mat, etc., which is going to take some time to track down. If I do mod, it will be minor - maybe a boost controller and exhaust - easily removable when I decide to sell it.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:57 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
I dig it. Big thumbs up from me.
I also think that "vintage" SUVs like this one are going to take off as collectibles.

It is rare but it's not THAT rare.
I can say that as a Merkur XR4ti owner... there are only about a dozen really good original ones.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:01 PM

297 posts, read 166,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
You're obviously not an enthusiast. There are many low production collectible cars that I'm not particularly enamored of, but I still recognize their significance. The fact that you equate an Expedition to a Typhoon speaks volumes about your understanding, or lack thereof, of historically noteworthy cars. Even the Marlin, which, unlike your Expedition, is actually something special, was produced in significantly higher quantities than the Typhoon. Yet, somehow you consider the Marlin to be "truly rare" but equate the Typhoon to a common-as-dirt Expedition. Let me guess, you also think a Buick GNX is no more special than a Camry because it's based on a Regal? The final Typhoon to roll off the production line sold at Barrett-Jackson for $51,800. I'd like to offer a bone stock Expedition auction sale price for comparison, but, well, nobody cares

I'm particularly amused by non-enthusiasts who mock color combo production figures. Go to ANY collectible car enthusiast forum and color combos production numbers are a common topic. It's not a "hang up", it's something owners of rare vehicles like to talk about.

I'm not sure why you even posted to this thread. Frankly, your post is nonsensical in the context of the topic at hand.

Seriously, an Expedition?
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As are many other things too. So, as long as you like it, it's worth whatever you paid for it, and then some.

Not every comment needs to come with an explanation. Nor do all deserve a reply. You feel the need to flaunt a little, and that's OK. Personally I wouldn't... my wife would though, a little, with her Beemer and several handbags worth several thousands each, but she deserves each and every one of them, at least in my eyes she does.

And personally, I like the Expy. Drives great, handles great for a giant beast, the fact that it was a police car has it equipped with the 9k lbs towing package and bulletproof doors (not that I need them but nice to have) and also the fact that it was a police car, gets people in front of me in the fast lane to think I might be a cop so they get out of the way. The white top and the bull bar might have something to do with it too

The Marlin is an attainable dream car for me. As in, I would spend the money, and a fully restored one can go up to 15-20k. I wouldn't spend that money on a new car. No matter the car. For myself, at least. Wife, different story. And I find the Marlin to be quite ugly, but ugly to the point that it becomes attractive. Hence my desire.
Now, unattainable, 1949-52 Mercedes 170v Convertible. At absolute mint, 200k+ easy. I think I'll just admire it from afar...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive