Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 11:47 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,335,731 times

Advertisements

You can find good stuff on CL, you just have to dig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 12:25 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Craigslist is used mostly by people not wanting to spend money to sell their car, so there is a greater percentage of clunkers. Autotrader costs a lot more to post, but it's a write-off for dealers so they will use it along with their own websites. Most people with a nice late model, low mileage used vehicle will trade it in, especially if they still owe on it, because dealing with a private party is a hassle if you don't have a clear title.
Money has nothing to do with it as to why I use craigslist.

It has a huge audience, and when selling, that is a big plus.

Bob.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:45 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
One person mentioned Offer Up. I think that too is going to the dogs. I was checking it last night and 5 of the trucks and SUVs I clicked on went to one guy in some shady neighborhood.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:46 PM

21,832 posts, read 25,102,289 times
You can just exclude dealers from Autotrader with filters.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:12 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Have no problem with craigslist.

I don't like Offerup. It's much higher priced. In cars. Otherwise, we get good deals there.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:34 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,448,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Offer up

I have a truck on Autotrader. And yes I’m asking a high price. But it’s in perfect shape,records all in order, everything works, no accidents. It’s basucally a cream puff not a junk pile. Had a few bs loser will you take 1/2 of asking or can I make payments. Sure you can make payments. You pay me when you’re done paying you get the car. Call it a lay away plan.
Really just need to sift through the trash. I would call whatever car you’re interested in and ask

1. Is the car titled in your name and currently registered.
2. Is all the paperwork/title in order
3. Is there anything I need to know about the vehicle before I come for a test drive.

Trust me dude there is a lot of junk out there. I looked fir a car about a year ago. Lots of bs liars and ****tards trying to make a buck at your expense. Out of all the cars I saw I walked away from 90% of them. The other 10% the sellers were so stupid I refused to waste time going to see the vehicle.

About a year ago.
One guy I was gonna go see. 50 miles away. Would of needed to drag my wife with me. Willing to pay full asking price. Called the guy before I was gonna leave. Had cash in hand ready to go. The guy refused to go get it smog checked. Ok thank you. Here’s $5500 hanging up. The car is STILL for sale. Today. For $3500. I think it just sold. All the guy had to do was go get a $50 smog test.
Foatvoutvtokd me gophers will never oaybfir a smog test. Even though by law he is required to do it. And simply part ways. Have a nice day.
I would of pushed hm out of the way trying to get to the smog station to make the sale. But hey he still has his car and I still have most of my money. Found a perfect little commuter car from a coworker.
"Would've" or "Would have".

You're welcome!

Old 10-12-2018, 06:48 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times
I have listed numerous cars on both Autotrader and Craigslist. The buyers have came from the craigslist ad every single time. I finally quit listing on Autotrader because it was a waste of my time. My cars are all very good vehicles in very good condition. It usually takes very little time to sell them and quite often, the very first person that comes to see it and test drive buys it that day. The reason some people think that most of the cars on craigslist are "clunkers" or "junk" is because the good ones sell quickly so the ad is only up for a few days. The junkers are there for weeks or months because the are in fact junk.

You just have to weed through them. After a while you learn to distinguish which ones are most likely junk. They usually have very few pictures. Often they only have a picture of one side of the car because the other side is a mess. They often do not have any pictures of the interior or if they do it will be a close up of one seat. The details are usually vague as well. The clues are there, you just have to look for them.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:01 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
cars.com
Found them to be a joke. Low budget internet upstart.

Mostly dealers with high asking prices. Many already sold and not available. Enhanced descriptions. Most/all dealers don't take vehicle off cars.com after being sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive