Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2018, 03:11 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times

Advertisements

Part of not worrying about my wife was being sure her car was in tip top shape thus as soon as I felt any had issues, I encouraged her to buy new. She did have one car she loved, a Volvo 240DL (bought new) that she kept for 10 years, 1986 to 1996? I kept it in top condition both mechanical and body wise. I never cared for it, but it was dependable.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:25 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, you said you saw most women driving cars that were 8-9 years old, or less. A lot of those were bought used. I don't see how your observation supports a conclusion that women buy new cars. I just bought a 2010 used car months ago. But that wouldn't count in your book, as a used car?? Please explain.

Well technically it is but it's Colloquially not, it's "pre-owned"

Example:

New

Pre-owned

used

All for are red four door Honda civics, the last one on the list would be more likely to be owned by a guy, and that guy and the woman who owns the one in the middle often have roughly the same income. PS: the middle one is a 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Everybody else must be living in a different universe than I am.
In my younger days, young single guys would spend $3k out of their crappy minimum wage job to customize a busted $2K car to make it worth $1k. That of course was intended to “lure” the hotties and show the other single males what’s up.
Now that I’m older, I see guys making $50k a year driving $65k pick up trucks and buying $2k BBQ grills and $500 Yetis. Don’t get me started on $75k fishing boats. This forum seems to attract guys who think spending $35k on a car to get to work is “living above their means” while here in the real world I see guys spending at least double that on their hobbies alone.

While there are frugal money conscience guys out there, there’s no way in hell I’d make that a blanket statement with a straight face.

I agree there are many men who blow money like theres no tomorrow, but it also seems like the majority of super frugal people tend to be men. us guys tend to be at both ends of that spectrum, the flashy "make it rain" guys and the "I buy socks once every ten years" both tend to be guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Women are more voracious consumers than men.

Not true, males and females blow money at about the same rate, its just that men tend to spend more in static products, women tend to spend more in diminishing products, and services, translation a guy and a gal comes into an extra several thousand on a scratch-off and they are both caught up on bills/tax's and have no dept and a years savings.

Statistically they guy will buy toys "sporting gear, electronics etc etc" and the woman will take a trip, cruise or stay in town but go to places she normally did not have the extra money to like shows, restaurants etc etc.. men pay for things women pay for experiences(but I guess atleast you still have the things after the money is gone).

And yes I personaly know men who would travel and women who would get gaming gear lol but we are talking typical spending patterns here not the exceptions.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:19 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, you said you saw most women driving cars that were 8-9 years old, or less. A lot of those were bought used. I don't see how your observation supports a conclusion that women buy new cars. I just bought a 2010 used car months ago. But that wouldn't count in your book, as a used car?? Please explain.
I know plenty of women who drive older cars than their husbands driver. Most of them cart the kids around in older, grosser cars until they just don’t work very well anymore and repairs become too expensive. I kept my car for about 10 years until it became apparent that it was going to cost more per year to repair it than it would be to buy a new car. I looked for a use one, but unfortunately for the type of car I wanted, there were no reasonable options for that model that were available used.

As to the person who is talking about “preowned” cars... Colloquially, no one calls anything “preowned”- only car dealerships call it that. Most human beings in the world call it “used.”

Old 10-14-2018, 05:30 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,060,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
According to some you will be morbidly depressed (if you aren’t already) driving a 2009 vehicle past 2020. You should be looking at your 3rd car loan by now.
I’m trying to starve car salesmen into extinction, but someone must be feeding them because there still are plenty of them. I bought my 2009 online to avoid them and was in and out of the dealership only to sign papers. Fifteen minutes. I know they made SOME money off me, but any money they get from me has to last them a looong time.

Besides, some people post the most charmingly entertaining stuff. It ain’t good entertainment, but it’s free.

Added: I enclosed my screened porch, installed an irrigation system, and got new carpet and custom draperies instead of buying new cars every couple years.

Last edited by Gusano; 10-14-2018 at 06:00 PM..

Old 10-14-2018, 06:49 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
If a person keeps their car in good shape it seems to me that it's a bit tricky to tell what year is. The styles don't seem to change that much. I don't be hard pressed to tell a 2008 from a 2018 in many cases.
This is a good point. There are more cars having evolutionary style changes than have revolutionary style changes. Even when there is a revolutionary style change it does not always make the car better, only different. Audi/BMW/MB all maintain a vaguely familiar look over many years.

Along the same line - cars are better built. They do not rust and the paint seems to look good for most of the cars useful life. Many cars can easily run over 150k miles with regular maintenance and can look good with an occasional cleaning.

Then there are the low mileage cars that come off 3-4 year leases. Lots of these cars spend at least half of the lease in a garage keeping the cars out of the sun and weather. These cars are practically new when they are turned in at the end of a lease.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:00 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Calm down there buddy. Yes I’m saying all those things. Unlike you, I’m a bit of a car guy. Picking out just two more cars for the next 24 years is a depressing thought. I mean, it’s a great investment strategy if you want to live forever. I’m sure in the next life you can have a nicer car.

Yes, I’ll see tons of comfortable people driving some boring POS 12 year old Kia, but maybe they spend their money on burbon and hookers. I don’t know and don’t care, but it’s obvious they just see their car as an appliance. I also see very comfortable people leasing brand new Mercedes and BMW’s and saving money on hookers and burbon. Whatever. At least they can get to work in the BMW.

Yes after 100k miles (or in some cases before that) your car could have an expensive failure at anytime. Especially now that design requirements are based more on emissions and fuel efficiency and less on longevity. The manufacturer isn’t in the market for selling you used cars, they’ll only promise their design up until the warranty ends then you’re on your own.

My goal in life isn’t to be a retired engineering CEO that works as a handyman driving a 10 year old Kia minivan. That actually sounds pretty dreadful. I’m sure his cats will be happy when he goes though.

We’ve been over this before, but a car payment is perpetual even if you pay it off and drive it forever. It doesn’t matter if you’re driving a Ferrari or an old Kia, it will eventually need to be replaced unless it’s a collectors car you plan to keep in the garage and take to car shows.
How much you plan to spend to replace it is a matter of your own finances, priorities, and personal taste.
”Car guy” is a pretty subjective term. Changing cars every 12 years may depress YOU, but that doesn’t mean it depresses everyone...especially those wanting to save money without sacrificing much. First world problems. What exactly makes a 12 year old car bad? In most cases after 12 years one will have a reliable and nice looking car as long as it’s maintained decently well.

What’s wrong with seeing a car as an appliance? Some people just want to get where they are going comfortably and don’t see the point in throwing money at newer cars. What - spend all the money so they can be considered “car guys”? And what about the person who buys a “driver’s car” and keeps it 12 years? Are they now out of the car guy club because they exacted a lot of value from their car by driving it 12 years? I guess I should tell the die hard ‘Vette or Miata guy that he’s not a car guy because he’s daily driving his 2007 model that he bought new 12 years ago.

What makes a 12 year old Kia a “POS”? At what point does a car become a POS? Is a 2010 Kia a POS because it’s almost 10 years old? What about a 2011 model? You have quite an arbitrary cutoff. I guess I should just tell everyone driving cars approaching 10 years old that a self proclaimed car guy online says their car is a POS. What’s the cutoff for homes, clothing, etc? All these folks living below their means and building wealth just aren’t living because more of their money isn’t going toward a depreciating trinket.

Of course your goal isn’t to retire young, wealthy and secure with a million dollar home and the ability to pursue whatever you desire (anything from feeding the hungry to training pet birds to YES using youre learnied skills to repair and beautify homes). You see, people with money often don’t follow the masses by buying crap that people with lesser means believe one should be buying. WHAT you mean millionaires will buy something like clothing on clearance at Target instead of paying $200 for a pair of designer jeans? Oh the horror. Morbidly depressing I must say.

Bottom line - being 12 years old doesn’t make a car unreliable and driving one doesn’t mean one is morbidly depressed.

Yes, a 100k+ mile car could have a breakdown, but the odds are tremendously in favor of the car being reliable and NOT breaking down. It’s simply foolish to think a perfectly running car with 100k miles will suddenly become unreliable when it will most likely go another 100k+ problem free miles. How many Civics or Accords for example run well but become problematic lemons as soon as they hit 100k miles? 1 or 2%? Hell, Toyota and Honda’s entire reputation was built on the volume of relatively problem free cars they have running to 200K+ miles. This isn’t the 70s where cars are lucky to make 90k miles.

A car payment is NOT a perpetutual thing. I’ve already gave you an example of how much more it cost to constantly have car payments vs driving a car 12 years. Over the course of 24 years we are talking about what amounts to A LOT of money for most. As I said, financial math like this is something kids should be learning in school.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:21 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
This is a good point. There are more cars having evolutionary style changes than have revolutionary style changes. Even when there is a revolutionary style change it does not always make the car better, only different. Audi/BMW/MB all maintain a vaguely familiar look over many years.

Along the same line - cars are better built. They do not rust and the paint seems to look good for most of the cars useful life. Many cars can easily run over 150k miles with regular maintenance and can look good with an occasional cleaning.

Then there are the low mileage cars that come off 3-4 year leases. Lots of these cars spend at least half of the lease in a garage keeping the cars out of the sun and weather. These cars are practically new when they are turned in at the end of a lease.
Oh yes, plenty of cars will run to 150k and beyond while being reliable and cosmetically acceptable. It’s no feat at all to accomplish this. If someone wants to believe cars become lemons at 100k...well, that’s probably just their justification for buying a new car. Nothing wrong with believing that, but let’s not pretend it’s a fact.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:42 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I know plenty of women who drive older cars than their husbands driver. Most of them cart the kids around in older, grosser cars until they just don’t work very well anymore and repairs become too expensive. I kept my car for about 10 years until it became apparent that it was going to cost more per year to repair it than it would be to buy a new car. I looked for a use one, but unfortunately for the type of car I wanted, there were no reasonable options for that model that were available used.

As to the person who is talking about “preowned” cars... Colloquially, no one calls anything “preowned”- only car dealerships call it that. Most human beings in the world call it “used.”

No they call it "newer used" but I've heard the term "pre-owned" by a few people.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:58 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
How about that they can afford them but i don’t make it a habit of what other people drive because i could care less what others drive i don’t know why people always bring up what others are driving.

Anyone can have a bill in their garage--or parking spot.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:34 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
Not true, males and females blow money at about the same rate, its just that men tend to spend more in static products, women tend to spend more in diminishing products, and services, translation a guy and a gal comes into an extra several thousand on a scratch-off and they are both caught up on bills/tax's and have no dept and a years savings.

Statistically they guy will buy toys "sporting gear, electronics etc etc" and the woman will take a trip, cruise or stay in town but go to places she normally did not have the extra money to like shows, restaurants etc etc.. men pay for things women pay for experiences(but I guess atleast you still have the things after the money is gone).

And yes I personaly know men who would travel and women who would get gaming gear lol but we are talking typical spending patterns here not the exceptions.
When I read your original post, my silly female brain thought you were actually trying to have a conversation. With each page, it has become even more clear to me that this thread was created with the sole intention of bashing women.

Here we are, talking about how ridiculous it is for women to buy a car that was manufactured in the past decade, and then you post this.

Men are the ones who buy static items while women pay for experiences, huh? I thought the whole problem that inspired this thread was that women are the ones who spend too much on cars. Now, is a car a one-time "experience," or is it a big hunk of metal that you park in your driveway and use over and over again?

And although they are certainly all depreciating assets, are you trying to say that buying a Playstation 4 and a set of skis (that will probably get used twice and then stuffed in the garage somewhere) is an acceptable way to spend money, but buying a reliable car to drive to work each day is not?

By the way, if women are the ones who waste money on nights out, I wonder who keeps strip clubs running?

It's like you're so busy creating hypothetical scenarios in which men are financially superior to women that you don't even realize that you're contradicting yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive