Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 11:36 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Its not the speeding thats a hot topic, its people that want to block and control other drivers thats a hot topic. Same type of activity for people defending left lane hogs.
In the original situation, who was trying to control and block? The speed limit was 45. The driver was doing 40. Honestly, would the OP have done anything different if the driver was doing the full 45?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 06:27 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I got pulled over today for passing a car going slower then I was driving today. I passed them with broken lines on my side of the road. I did exceed the speed limit to do so it’s my understanding that this is legal, it would seem tha in N.C It’s not. She was doing 40 in a 45 when on coming traffic was clear I passed her using my blinker and proceeded to pass. When I did she accelerate. As did I. I was clocked doing 71 in a 45 and I admitted to that. The officer saw it differently no surprise there. So I do have to go to court come December on the 18th. He says that I should be able to talk to the judge and he might give let me take a driver safely course to get the points knocked down. Going 30 or more in N.C they can take your DL away from you.
IMO, THEY care more about giving tickets then you passing within the law then anything else.
Before my last speeding ticket 5 years ago, I went 14 years without a speeding ticket.

My reaction was -- It's about time.... I generally find it amusing when I get a speeding ticket. I've been driving for 40 years now, and it's nice to get confirmation on occasion that I still have it.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:51 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I’ve always felt like we should get a credit for every year we go without a ticket. OP should have one pass a year for the next 15 years. So should I. When I rule the world, I’ll implement that for y’all.

As it is, OP, pay up and shut up.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’ve always felt like we should get a credit for every year we go without a ticket. OP should have one pass a year for the next 15 years. So should I. When I rule the world, I’ll implement that for y’all.

As it is, OP, pay up and shut up.
You do get a credit for not getting a ticket -- You don't get fined and you get cheaper insurance..

My attitude is, do the crime, pay the fine. I always apply that to myself. I speed quite a bit, but when I get nailed, I pony up and pay the fine. That doesn't mean you can't "negotiate" on it -- You don't necessarily have to pay the first stated fine. You can show up in court and try to knock it down, if you think that's worth it. I generally do that if my ticket is local and it's easy to get to the court, but if it's an hour away, like with my last ticket, I just mail in a check for the amount they want.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:13 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,573,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
You do get a credit for not getting a ticket -- You don't get fined and you get cheaper insurance..

My attitude is, do the crime, pay the fine. I always apply that to myself. I speed quite a bit, but when I get nailed, I pony up and pay the fine. That doesn't mean you can't "negotiate" on it -- You don't necessarily have to pay the first stated fine. You can show up in court and try to knock it down, if you think that's worth it. I generally do that if my ticket is local and it's easy to get to the court, but if it's an hour away, like with my last ticket, I just mail in a check for the amount they want.

In NJ, every year you go ticket-free (I think it goes by "posting date") gets you three points "point credit" on our points system. The total can never go below zero.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:15 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,573,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
43 posts in 7 hours, speeding is a hot topic. Everybody speeds in southern Calif. well everybody in the left 2 lanes on the freeways.

You should see the Parkway down here. (Garden State Parkway) Doesn't really matter if the speed limit is 65, as it is down here, or if it is 55 like in the Northern part of the State. You are getting run off the road if you are doing 70 or less, more like 75 is the flow of traffic....

I would have to re-read the thread to see if our usual "YOU ARE VIOLATING THE LAW" posters have showed up.

But yes. In general, posts about how everybody speeds make people's heads explode, and you get hot-button topics. It's a trigger. Gotta wonder......

Old 10-20-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
In NJ, every year you go ticket-free (I think it goes by "posting date") gets you three points "point credit" on our points system. The total can never go below zero.
Yes, I heard that that's how the system works in New Jersey, that points you already have from past violations go off at a certain rate every year that you are free of tickets. That makes sense.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
You should see the Parkway down here. (Garden State Parkway) Doesn't really matter if the speed limit is 65, as it is down here, or if it is 55 like in the Northern part of the State. You are getting run off the road if you are doing 70 or less, more like 75 is the flow of traffic....

I would have to re-read the thread to see if our usual "YOU ARE VIOLATING THE LAW" posters have showed up.

But yes. In general, posts about how everybody speeds make people's heads explode, and you get hot-button topics. It's a trigger. Gotta wonder......
It's true that almost everybody speeds. I sure as hell do, and I'm not afraid to admit it. I think that in many cases, speed limits are set too low, either for revenue purposes or because of an assumption that people will exceed the limit anyway, so it has to be put below the speed you really want people to drive.

Under the right circumstances, there is nothing wrong with exceeding the speed limit, even by a wide margin sometimes, but you do have to recognize that there's a possibility of getting nailed, and suck it up without complaint if that does happen.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:15 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I think if everyone is going 80 in a 70 zone, they aren’t going to pull over one car. My favorite thing is to get behind a car going faster than I am. I think of him as the sacrificial lamb.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:30 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I did read that. Even if they sped up, 70 was still more than what was needed.
You were there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
How do you know that's the best course of action when dealing with a clearly belligerent driver? The answer is you don't in this specific instance, at least not based on the available information.

It's almost like nobody in this forum has ever had to make a split-second decision between two courses of action which both have uncertain and potentially disastrous outcomes. I bet if we could review camcorder footage of everyone's lives, we could all identify several decisions per week any one person made that seem ill-advised in hindsight but were understandable in the moment.

And you reached this conclusion based on what facts?

It scares me to know there are people on the road who believe it's "100% legal" to speed up and box someone out who's trying to pass you. Good God.
It's like the old joke about "pilot error" in flying circles. "Ten people sitting around a table discussing the matter for days on end, make a decision about 'pilot error' for an event that took place six months ago when the pilot had three seconds and no chairs, no five people to consult, no table to sit around," or something to that effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
In the original situation, who was trying to control and block? The speed limit was 45. The driver was doing 40. Honestly, would the OP have done anything different if the driver was doing the full 45?
Quite likely he wouldn't have passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive