Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 03:46 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think if everyone is going 80 in a 70 zone, they aren’t going to pull over one car. My favorite thing is to get behind a car going faster than I am. I think of him as the sacrificial lamb.
"Follow the rabbit." That's advice I always see on how to avoid getting a ticket when you're a habitual speeder (as I am). Don't be the fastest car on the road.

One fun experience I had was using a state trooper as my "rabbit" once. I was driving in the left lane of a highway, speeding as usual, when I saw a statie come racing up behind me in the left lane. I thought I was going to get pulled over, and I moved into the right lane, but instead of pulling me over, he went flying by.

He was clearly out the left lane, effectively, so I decided it would be cool to follow him at a discreet distance. I let him get a little bit ahead and then stepped up my speed to his speed and cruised at high speed behind him down the highway in the left lane. I wish I could do something like that every drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 08:13 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think if everyone is going 80 in a 70 zone, they aren’t going to pull over one car. My favorite thing is to get behind a car going faster than I am. I think of him as the sacrificial lamb.
When I was younger and traveled a lot I did this as well, of course back then on coming used to flash thier lights when they saw a cop running radar too.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:14 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,243,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I got pulled over today for passing a car going slower then I was driving today. I passed them with broken lines on my side of the road. I did exceed the speed limit to do so it’s my understanding that this is legal, it would seem tha in N.C It’s not. She was doing 40 in a 45 when on coming traffic was clear I passed her using my blinker and proceeded to pass. When I did she accelerate. As did I. I was clocked doing 71 in a 45 and I admitted to that. The officer saw it differently no surprise there. So I do have to go to court come December on the 18th. He says that I should be able to talk to the judge and he might give let me take a driver safely course to get the points knocked down. Going 30 or more in N.C they can take your DL away from you.
IMO, THEY care more about giving tickets then you passing within the law then anything else.
All my tickets in the past 20 years have been in NC, however GA is the worst. I think they have 2 cops for every vehicle passing through. In the future, start using the WAZE app on your phone. It will tell you where the cops are almost 100% of the time. It has saved me a small fortune in tickets.

SS

Old 10-21-2018, 12:36 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
dont think of it has speeding, but as donations to the police fund

Old 10-21-2018, 05:20 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
All my tickets in the past 20 years have been in NC, however GA is the worst. I think they have 2 cops for every vehicle passing through. In the future, start using the WAZE app on your phone. It will tell you where the cops are almost 100% of the time. It has saved me a small fortune in tickets.

SS
I remember living out West and hearing about GSP gods special people. I grew up in Georgia driving since I was 13. Never really got my D.L until I was 20. Moved back to G.A some 20 years later they are the worst!
In South G.A the local police in Valdosta sit on the overpass and tag out of state cars. Only. They have 3-4 cars sitting on the on ramp who run you down, highly illegal but the out of state people don’t know it.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:10 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
"Follow the rabbit." That's advice I always see on how to avoid getting a ticket when you're a habitual speeder (as I am). Don't be the fastest car on the road.

One fun experience I had was using a state trooper as my "rabbit" once. I was driving in the left lane of a highway, speeding as usual, when I saw a statie come racing up behind me in the left lane. I thought I was going to get pulled over, and I moved into the right lane, but instead of pulling me over, he went flying by.

He was clearly out the left lane, effectively, so I decided it would be cool to follow him at a discreet distance. I let him get a little bit ahead and then stepped up my speed to his speed and cruised at high speed behind him down the highway in the left lane. I wish I could do something like that every drive.
Be careful with that though. CT is notorious for having Troopers stationary on the on-ramps waiting for speeders to pass without even seeing them. In CT, they can also issue you a ticket through the mail without even pulling you over. Happened to a friend of mine, he didn't get pulled over because the trooper was heading towards a call.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:14 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
Just watch how other cars react in front of you. Hitting the brakes and slowing down for no reason indicates that there's one ahead waiting for you without even seeing them yet. Always look farther down the road than you normally would. Radar detectors are useless if they use laser. Watch what they use to detect speed and notice a pattern. If you see a black "blow dyer" looking device being pointed out the window, you know it's a laser, which means it's vehicle specific. Radar spreads out a signal and picks up the fastest speed. Cops use their eyes to determine their speed, and the radar confirms it. I've been trained on both of them.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:20 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitey View Post
at least my assumption has a basis in the supplied facts whereas yours don't. When someone speeds up while you're trying to pass them on a two-lane road, it's a reasonable assumption they're belligerent. For the sake of this discussion, i'll gladly stipulate the other driver may have been cluelessly dangerous rather belligerently dangerous, but the fundamental nature of this scenario remains the same: The op was put into a dangerous situation by a dangerous driver who forced him to make a split-second decision between two potentially dangerous responses to extract himself from that situation. That very dilemma is precisely why it's illegal to do what the other driver did.

Sorry but "do two wrongs make a right?" is not the legal standard for a successful affirmative defense, so whether the ticket stands does not hinge on your fatuous "two wrongs don't make a right" formulation.

Once again, you do not have enough facts to know whether that was any more or less smart in this circumstance.

Once again, assuming facts not in evidence. And if it never occurred to you that driving faster is an effective defensive driving technique in certain scenarios, you're not as educated about defensive driving as you think you are.

I can't even make sense out of this post. Charlygal posted "[t]he other car was 100% legal" when that is blatantly false based on the provided information. Speeding up while someone is passing you is clearly illegal, not to mention extremely stupid and dangerous.

On what basis do you conclude he "chose the wrong one?" and how did you conclude the op "got a 100% legal ticket for speeding" when it hasn't even been adjudicated yet?

I'm not your son (and thank god for that) so don't patronize me, chump.

Except when you do.

And now you've moved the goalposts to preserve your lie. This is what you actually said: "'bitey' believe[s] that you were forced into the passing lane, forced to speed up, forced to compete with the other driver." either produce the quotes where i said any such thing or be man enough to admit you lied.
everything, totally off, too bad you never got taught the right way. Continue showing you're lack of good judgement, and cause unnecessary problems. As to the son, no, never. Would have made sure there was an abortion. I abhor people that are unable to admit they're wrong and believe their opinion is the right one. Thank god i am not in anyway fashion related to you. Please stay in your own bubble, advise wrongly, support wrongdoing. Just stay outta my way. Life will be pleasant then. Patronizing is the easiest way to let you down. And your name calling is nothing more than a show of your lack of ability to admit your own shortcomings. Which i dare say are many. Keep your chump champ.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:25 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Yeah ok... were you there in the car with me? No so your talking about things you don’t know. Your entire post proves you didn’t read anything I posted.

You assume way too much I never mentioned that I was on the interstate not once.
You might want to READ my entire post. Stop assuming.
No, wasn't in the car, would have advised you to slow down and not put others in danger. Interstate was the word used by the police officer in news article, but it stands for all NC roads. (You were on a road right?) And since it wasn't an interstate, doing 71 in a posted 45 is 26 miles over speed limit, you can honestly state you weren't putting anyone in danger? That's not anyone I would ever want to be on the same road with. You take your own actions as acceptable, but had anyone else done that around you, or put your family in danger, you'd delfinitely have a different view. But, double standards seem to be okay and acceptable by you. Ergo, you believe it's ok to drive in major excess of posted limits.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:30 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,571,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Yes, I heard that that's how the system works in New Jersey, that points you already have from past violations go off at a certain rate every year that you are free of tickets. That makes sense.

Every year you have a license that isn't suspended. Three per year.. "Insurance Surcharge points." Yes, correct!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive