U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 02:43 AM

6,911 posts, read 2,566,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I could see diesel electric for semis. We have hybrid transit busses here and smaller electric ones for short routes. They are working on fully electric semis, I think Tesla built one, I just feel like a fully electric heavy duty commercial vehicle would have a smaller cargo wieght.
I have my doubts about the Tesla semi. Each recharge requires the power of 4000 homes https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft....a-d9c0a5c8d5c9

Tesla thinks their batteries will last the life of a semi (1 million miles) based on the lifespan and degradation of their cars that use a very small portion of their range. A semi would pretty much drain the entire battery pack everyday multiple times a day. Deep discharging and recharging of lithium batteries is what shortens their lifespan.
Knowing Elon’s shenanigans it’s most likely just intended to get an interest free loan (deposits), while continuing to look like there’s more to come to keep his stock price high to pay his debts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 07:27 AM

226 posts, read 56,140 times
Most vehicles will be heading toward electric, in case you are not paying attention. The ecobmics and policies will dictate it.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:50 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,822,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I have my doubts about the Tesla semi. Each recharge requires the power of 4000 homes https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft....a-d9c0a5c8d5c9

Tesla thinks their batteries will last the life of a semi (1 million miles) based on the lifespan and degradation of their cars that use a very small portion of their range. A semi would pretty much drain the entire battery pack everyday multiple times a day. Deep discharging and recharging of lithium batteries is what shortens their lifespan.
Knowing Elon’s shenanigans it’s most likely just intended to get an interest free loan (deposits), while continuing to look like there’s more to come to keep his stock price high to pay his debts.
If one were to look at the reservation list, one will find the the vast majority of potential buyers are not looking to use the Tesla semi for long haul routes. Companies like UPS, FedEx, Wal-Mart, et al are looking to use them for routes between distributions centers and stores.

If - and it's a big if - the batteries are capable of 500 miles and recharging in 30 minutes, then it might be useful for mid distance routes where a driver is going to take a break during the run. True long haul will take major development and creation of an easily accessible charging infrastructure.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:52 AM

13,374 posts, read 7,310,157 times
More should go to diesel.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
If one were to look at the reservation list, one will find the the vast majority of potential buyers are not looking to use the Tesla semi for long haul routes. Companies like UPS, FedEx, Wal-Mart, et al are looking to use them for routes between distributions centers and stores.

If - and it's a big if - the batteries are capable of 500 miles and recharging in 30 minutes, then it might be useful for mid distance routes where a driver is going to take a break during the run. True long haul will take major development and creation of an easily accessible charging infrastructure.
There's not too much development, really they just need to build some supercharger stations spatially designed for Semis only.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
There's not too much development, really they just need to build some supercharger stations spatially designed for Semis only.
For development, I'm referring more to having a range of 700-800 miles. That range would work for long haul routes where the driver is moving the max of 11 hours a day. Yes they can break before the 11 hours but charging may be during their break. Most drivers don't want to hang around for hours waiting to "fuel" up.

As for semi only superchargers, I see how brodozers ICE (block superchargers) at rest areas. I can't imagine the reaction that one would get at a T/A or Pilot service center.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:00 PM

6,911 posts, read 2,566,717 times
Quote:
In order to build a property sized battery for a vehicle you have to oversized it. If you need a 500 mile range, you need at least a 1000 mile battery. This is why Tesla owners typically opt for a much larger battery than they’ll ever use. If you drive 500 miles, a 500 mile range battery would be cutting it very close under the most optimal of circumstances. Real world range includes taking trucks at max capacity up hills, at highway speeds, in cold weather, etc. On top of that you would require a “protection” capacity that would prevent overdraining the battery and prematurely degrading its lifespan and range.
The problem of course with over sizing is weight and cost. Excessive weight cuts into payload. It also consumes much more power to quickly recharge.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:03 PM

Good, fair points.

I'm not familiar with commonality of long-range driver commutes. Truck drivers drive more than 7 hours without stopping for a break?!

Old 10-24-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Good, fair points.

I'm not familiar with commonality of long-range driver commutes. Truck drivers drive more than 7 hours without stopping for a break?!
They can drive 11 hours in a 14 hour period then they have to take a 10 hour break. Depending on circumstances, they will go straight through.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:16 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,470,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Undoubtedly the trucking industry is a key component of commerce however they are over utilized. If the road use tax was adjusted for the amount of damage they do to roads they would be paying a lot more. A lot more of that long haul freight would move to rail where it belongs.

The cost for consumer goods would rise but the burden on the motorist to build and maintain roads is reduced.
Trucking companies pay a 12% Federal Excise Tax for this on every new truck they buy. People tend to forget about that....

A new sleeper truck costs about $140-150K, and roughly $15K of that is for F.E.T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or