Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 01:35 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,574 times

Advertisements

I had 5 on my 1991 Toyota pick-up I ordered it, and they shipped it from Japan, straight to SA. Lowest number I've ever had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 01:43 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
When I purchased my one-and-only new car, I told the dealer I wanted to be the first person to drive it. They picked me up at work in a service vehicle, drove me to the dealer, and I drove the car off the lot with 7 miles on it.

The first person who drove that car had the 'pedal to the metal' for the first 1/4 mile in the Assembly Plant storage lot. The guys who drive the cars out of the plant get paid per vehicle rather than per hour, and many are college aged saving toward next semester's or next year's classes, so they are on a dead run whenever they aren't smoking the tires on a brand new car.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:57 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
I had a beater family hand-me-down 1972 Ford Maverick with 00000.0 on the odometer in maybe 1979.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:59 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Do manufacturers take the cars for a short test drive to make sure everything is in working order before delivery? just curious...
No. Otherwise, once at the dealership a mechanic checks and fills up the fluids. Many cars will need to be driven off the lot in order to fill the tank up with gasoline. Most dealerships don't have fuel pumps on their lot.

Then certain models of cars and trucks are so desirable that a dealership might have only one or two of them on the lot at any given time. And who doesn't want to test drive the car (or truck) that they are planning to buy? Or there are inventory trades between dealerships when a customer wants a car in a particular colour that another dealership has... so there are many reasons why a new car can't be delivered with zero miles on its odometer.

Personally, I don't care about getting a car with zero miles on it. And with my '94 Civic Si, I was really hoping to put a million miles on her.

And getting a car with zero miles on the odometer is about as important as purchasing it for another $50 or $100 dollars off the price. It's too tiny a detail to sweat it out over.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:42 PM

149 posts, read 104,252 times
I think the lowest I saw on a new car was 12. The highest was 122 (and I used that against the salesman that it was a used car).

Old 10-22-2018, 07:05 PM

6,546 posts, read 7,129,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
I found this video years ago on how some unscrupulous individuals treat the cars after they came off the line.
Since the trains are long and connected to drive the car furthest into them, the drivers were speeding the cars through the train carriers while lining them up.

Im afraid to see what else they might do to the new cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCV-FadV5UQ
I’ll bet you anything that what they are doing is coming as a direct order from plant management.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:08 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,187,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Then the dealer is probably going to take it to fill up the tank before you take delivery.
Thanks for this! I needed a good laugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
For the hell of it, I took a drill to an old mechanical speedo cluster I had sitting on a bench. Even on the highest speed setting, it took a long time to just roll it back 1 mile. If you wanted to roll it back 10K miles you'd pretty much have to set it up and tape the drill trigger on and walk away for a few hours.
There are also little clickers on the tenth dial that prevent roll-back (at least as far back as a 1990 Jeep). So, you can run forever and roll back .1 mile.

However, for earlier units, the proper application is a Dremel Tool.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:56 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,137,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I’ll bet you anything that what they are doing is coming as a direct order from plant management.
Maybe, is it a union job.
From what I read in the comments from guys that worked the job, they got paid by the car in many cases.
But cars now come in "transport mode" where they dont go over 20mph until they get to the dealer.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:46 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,132,407 times
My 2005 Corolla had 17 miles on it when I bought it. My 1993 Nissan truck had 12 miles. The last new car I bought, my 2017 Corolla had 48 miles on it.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:34 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,838,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
A lot of cars take the speed readings from one of the wheel speed sensors there days.

For the hell of it, I took a drill to an old mechanical speedo cluster I had sitting on a bench. Even on the highest speed setting, it took a long time to just roll it back 1 mile. If you wanted to roll it back 10K miles you'd pretty much have to set it up and tape the drill trigger on and walk away for a few hours.
It used to be a real problem. Unsavory used car dealers would run the odometers back using drills. They would just lock the trigger on and leave it running (most drills have a trigger lock, you don't have to tape them). Back in the early 90's a bunch of used car dealers got busted for rolling back the odometers which is a federal felony offense and they went to prison for a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive