Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 11:29 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Okay, I had one just this morning.

I was on I-295 NW of Richmond, one of the only roads in Virginia that was built large enough to actually handle the traffic volume it sees. It was a little after 6am and I was driving from my home down to Norfolk where I work. The interchange from I-95 South to I-295 is a left hand exit and deposits drivers into the left lanes of the 295 and volume was moderate and spread out across all lanes. I was behind a few different drivers and had a Prius* behind me so close I could not even see the car's headlights. When traffic volume subsided to the point some lanes opened up the Prius driver jumped into the lane to my right, cutting dangerously close to a vehicle already in that lane, and blew past the rest of us (we were all going ~75 in a 70) for a distance of a few hundred yards, when a state trooper pulled out and rolled him up. Here in Virginia the troopers camp out in the median between trees and they have these service roads in the medians every few miles, seemingly for this purpose. Virginia loves a speed trap. It was satisfying to see such an impatient and aggressive driver get a roadside chat with one of Virginia's finest. Based on his speed relative to ours he was easily exceeding 80, which will get you an invitation to traffic court here in Virginia.

*I am always cautious to paint with a broad brush like this because bad drivers can be found in every make and model. With that said, when I was commuting from my home north, toward Washington D.C. I found that drivers of the Prius, when controlling for single make and model, were easily the most pushy and aggressive. By a long shot.
I always found pick-up truck drivers to be more aggressive, and they turn 1000 lights on their grill on and get right up behind you, I feel like they try to bully me into going faster. I usually assume all small fuel-efficient cars are going to be slow drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 11:49 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I always found pick-up truck drivers to be more aggressive, and they turn 1000 lights on their grill on and get right up behind you, I feel like they try to bully me into going faster. I usually assume all small fuel-efficient cars are going to be slow drivers.
Where I live aggressive drivers are in every type of vehicle imaginable. I've had aggressive pickup drivers too. I've had aggressive minivan drivers, sports cars, motorcycles and anything else you can imagine. But again, if I had to single out a specific make and model, the Prius is so far ahead of the pack I don't even think I could identify a second place candidate.

Old 11-02-2018, 01:18 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Sure, sure, but do you really think that's the topic OP had in mind when he made this thread?
What do you think the intent of the OP is if not what Mathguy described in post #19?

Using page #'s doesn't work well btw. I see it on page one because I have my posts per page set to 30.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 11-02-2018 at 01:38 PM..

Old 11-02-2018, 08:55 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times
Quote:
Okay, I had one just this morning.

I was on I-295 NW of Richmond, one of the only roads in Virginia that was built large enough to actually handle the traffic volume it sees. It was a little after 6am and I was driving from my home down to Norfolk where I work. The interchange from I-95 South to I-295 is a left hand exit and deposits drivers into the left lanes of the 295 and volume was moderate and spread out across all lanes. I was behind a few different drivers and had a Prius* behind me so close I could not even see the car's headlights. When traffic volume subsided to the point some lanes opened up the Prius driver jumped into the lane to my right, cutting dangerously close to a vehicle already in that lane, and blew past the rest of us (we were all going ~75 in a 70) for a distance of a few hundred yards, when a state trooper pulled out and rolled him up. Here in Virginia the troopers camp out in the median between trees and they have these service roads in the medians every few miles, seemingly for this purpose. Virginia loves a speed trap. It was satisfying to see such an impatient and aggressive driver get a roadside chat with one of Virginia's finest. Based on his speed relative to ours he was easily exceeding 80, which will get you an invitation to traffic court here in Virginia.

*I am always cautious to paint with a broad brush like this because bad drivers can be found in every make and model. With that said, when I was commuting from my home north, toward Washington D.C. I found that drivers of the Prius, when controlling for single make and model, were easily the most pushy and aggressive. By a long shot.
Funny, when I was in Richmond, I found the drivers curteous and far better drivers than you'd find in Kentuckiana.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:58 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times
Quote:
Where I live aggressive drivers are in every type of vehicle imaginable. I've had aggressive pickup drivers too. I've had aggressive minivan drivers, sports cars, motorcycles and anything else you can imagine. But again, if I had to single out a specific make and model, the Prius is so far ahead of the pack I don't even think I could identify a second place candidate.
People joke about them being slow, but they are faster than one would assume.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:54 PM

16,069 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
What do you think the intent of the OP is if not what Mathguy described in post #19?

Using page #'s doesn't work well btw. I see it on page one because I have my posts per page set to 30.
I didn't think of it as a storytelling opportunity. Maybe I've seen too many of these threads but I pretty much expected it to turn into debate over whether it's ever ok to speed, because that's how CD rolls.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:58 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I didn't think of it as a storytelling opportunity. Maybe I've seen too many of these threads but I pretty much expected it to turn into debate over whether it's ever ok to speed, because that's how CD rolls.
I can see that. I took my cue from the title of the thread.

Quote:
Bad Drivers Get Theirs
Which includes much more than speeding. But you are right. They all devolve into speed arguments.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:26 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Geez, that sounds identical to the road I commute on to work everyday I would say it is the SAME road but of course I am here in PA; perhaps they cloned that road, lol.

The road I travel on goes through numerous villages/towns and of course a creek runs along one side of it. Nowhere to pull off really but there are places to pass...at least a few since it is really hilly.

Sounds like a "fun" road. The good news is that once you drive it more often you will pretty much memorize the areas where you need to be the most vigilant.

I've named various segments of my road. 'Crazy Deer Driveway', 'Oblivious Pedestrian Passageway'. It helps to have a sense of humor about it
I forgot about the goat that was trotting along the road one day. And the chickens that sit on the edge. Or the cats and dogs that play tag with my wheels. Or the *#^$%$ grouse that sat in the middle of the road once. I drove up on them, expecting them to move, but they just sat there and I almost drove over them. I had to get out and shoo them off the road. All I could think of was, "And people have to hunt these?" By staying in my car, I could have had 6 for dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive