Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 01:50 PM

1,386 posts, read 998,790 times

Advertisements

I was on the New Jersey Turnpike, at night, driving a stately 70 MPH, when this old station wagon FLIES past me doing at least 120 MPH. As I'm asking myself "where are the cops when you need 'em," a NJ state trooper goes flying past me at 120 PMH after this guy. A half mile ahead I see the trooper's lights fash on. Sometimes the cops ARE where you need 'em....

--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 05:15 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,748,347 times
Sometimes I think slow drivers and fast drivers are less compatible than Christianity and Islam.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:22 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,685 times
Funny story? We have this van logoed running between our two north/south cities. He's cut people off, pulled in front and slowed them down (impeding traffic and very dangerous; three pointer if caught) and vapes, so the THIRTY PEOPLE in my hood that have dealt with this guy can't see who's in the van, there's so much vape smoke!! (facebook thread)

So, I suggest a galloping case of Asbergers' on the go, and go to the corp. site. It's primarily based two regions away, and this office is a lone satellite health care (testing) of some kind. Yes, posters have contacted the corp. AND the RCMP. Then I suggest a mental health "crowd fund" for the guy.

Turns out his HR VP at Head office, a lady, is giving a MENTAL HEALTH lecture in Toronto. We need to send him to his own employers health advocacy. I see a plane ticket in his future!! win/win/win, I hope. Before he KILLS someone.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:44 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I like to see them get tickets for speeding or reckless driving, but not hurt. That video of the car crash in Belgium where someone impatiently cut across lanes and swerved back into the lane to avoid a stopped semi they couldn't see before changing lanes and got CREAMED is horrifying. I read later the driver survived; amazing.
I apologize to you Ukiyo, I read your OP the wrong way.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:30 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,925,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
I hate people who act like they HAVE to drive the speed limit or only a couple above it. Annoying AF. People have places to be. Get the hell out of the way.
Everyone has a right to be on the road and to drive at the legal speed limit. We all pay taxes. If you're in a hurry, leave 10 minutes earlier next time.

And if you tailgate me, trying to harass me into speeding up... it will backfire. I slow down when I'm being tailgated. If that makes the tailgater kiss my rear bumper, well, that's their problem. Will not be bullied on the road. And I am prepared to defend myself if you want to try to turn this into a road rage incident.

I favor strong road rage laws to get some of these abusive personalities off the road. Three strikes and you're out. License suspended for six months, mandatory drivers ed course, and hefty fine.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:12 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,748,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Everyone has a right to be on the road and to drive at the legal speed limit. We all pay taxes. If you're in a hurry, leave 10 minutes earlier next time.

And if you tailgate me, trying to harass me into speeding up... it will backfire. I slow down when I'm being tailgated. If that makes the tailgater kiss my rear bumper, well, that's their problem. Will not be bullied on the road. And I am prepared to defend myself if you want to try to turn this into a road rage incident.

I favor strong road rage laws to get some of these abusive personalities off the road. Three strikes and you're out. License suspended for six months, mandatory drivers ed course, and hefty fine.
You're trying to sound like an internet tough guy but ironically the behavior you describe regarding how you treat your fellow travelers is passive aggressive, and that's a more feminine trait.

Last edited by Fifty Seven; 10-25-2018 at 08:25 PM..

Old 10-25-2018, 08:17 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,571,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I had a very satisfying experience driving yesterday and figured a lot of people would have amusing stories, so please chip in with yours.

Mine was relatively straight-forward. I usually drive about 5 mph over the speed limit on freeways and less on surface roads. Today I was driving about 27-28 on a somewhat winding two-lane road with a posted limit of 25. Guy behind me was tailgating me for about a half-mile, and as soon as he gota dotted yellow line he flew past me in a roar doing at least 50 - that is, until he went around the next, nearby curve and a cop immediately pulled out after him.

I was tempted to give a little honk, smile, and wave, but of course, I just drove on my merry way, at 27-28 mph.

That's the "Instant Karma." And I too hate tailgaters.

Speeding is usually fine, but tailgating.. Can't imagine how many of the self-proclaimed "good drivers" tailgate, or do other things in traffic that are like

And Instant Karma rarely happens. Good job.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

Come to NJ, the tailgater will get in front of you and brake-check you, whether or not they do it for a long time, you don't know.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:26 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,059,442 times
I love my dash cam - it makes me drive in a more reasonable manner since it clearly shows my actions also.

For the record, I’m a +10 mph speed limit driver most of the time, like long walks on the beach, generally stay to the far right or center and am a lot calmer driver than in the past. Lol

Old 10-25-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
I was on the New Jersey Turnpike, at night, driving a stately 70 MPH, when this old station wagon FLIES past me doing at least 120 MPH. As I'm asking myself "where are the cops when you need 'em," a NJ state trooper goes flying past me at 120 PMH after this guy. A half mile ahead I see the trooper's lights fash on. Sometimes the cops ARE where you need 'em....

--

The Turnpike has always been a great source of revenue for NJ.

They won't really stop you unless you are doing faster than 75. I was nervous the first few times I set my cruise at 75. I slowed down when I saw them. As far as I know, they don't come out unless for 80 plus (79 is a brave, brave man. I wouldn't - anymore. Not sure if I ever pushed it that far.)

Then there is the belief of setting it at 74, or 79. Because 10 or over is 4 points, 9 or under is only two...

Turnpike is a spot you can get a ticket, usually the Garden State Parkway too. Or Exit 42 area on Rt 80. Heavy police presence in these spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive