Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 12:39 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times

Advertisements

I had a very satisfying experience driving yesterday and figured a lot of people would have amusing stories, so please chip in with yours.

Mine was relatively straight-forward. I usually drive about 5 mph over the speed limit on freeways and less on surface roads. Today I was driving about 27-28 on a somewhat winding two-lane road with a posted limit of 25. Guy behind me was tailgating me for about a half-mile, and as soon as he gota dotted yellow line he flew past me in a roar doing at least 50 - that is, until he went around the next, nearby curve and a cop immediately pulled out after him.

I was tempted to give a little honk, smile, and wave, but of course, I just drove on my merry way, at 27-28 mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 03:21 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
Typical case, he outsmarted himself.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:29 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I had a very satisfying experience driving yesterday and figured a lot of people would have amusing stories, so please chip in with yours.

Mine was relatively straight-forward. I usually drive about 5 mph over the speed limit on freeways and less on surface roads. Today I was driving about 27-28 on a somewhat winding two-lane road with a posted limit of 25. Guy behind me was tailgating me for about a half-mile, and as soon as he gota dotted yellow line he flew past me in a roar doing at least 50 - that is, until he went around the next, nearby curve and a cop immediately pulled out after him.

I was tempted to give a little honk, smile, and wave, but of course, I just drove on my merry way, at 27-28 mph.
Please tell me you are not one of those who drive in the left lane of a 3 lane interstate at 5 mph over the limit.....and have a need to get to that left lane as soon as they enter

Old 10-24-2018, 05:55 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
On my way home from work years ago in South NJ coming from PA there was an extremely impatient WRX driver. There was no way to go any faster than the flow of traffic due to the amount of cars on the road at the time. This guy, however, proceeded to cut in and out of traffic with no blinkers, tailgating, and trying to pass people in the breakdown lane. This went on for miles and miles but he never ended up getting ahead. I wont let someone over if they aren't using a blinker so I pissed him off even more when he tried to cut in front of me. As soon as we got onto the AC Expressway, traffic opened up and he floored it, he must have been doing about 90 when, I'm not sure what happened, but he lost control and smashed right into the Jersey barrier, bounced off, and coasted to the right side of the road. As I drove by, I saw him punching his steering wheel in anger, I honked my horn and waved as I drove over the parts of his car that were scattered all over the road. He got what he deserved.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:28 AM

61,646 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Yeah, he had a bad luck, but sometimes I can understand that frustration. You drive for miles behind someone driving the posted speed, and there is no way to pass that person, so frustration builds up, and when the opportunity finally arrives, you speed up, pass that person and get caught by the cops.
I think people who religiously adhere to speed limits should still give a way to those who don't, especially when they drive on the left lane to pass.
Heck, in many states THATS THE LAW. Please READ the laws stated on the link posted below.
The laws don't talk about speed limit, but about OBSTRUCTION of the traffic flow.
People who think they adhere to the laws actually BREAK them. I am not sure when that will be clear to all drivers. I guess some are very slow learner's and have problems with comprehension and common sense.
They are not the traffic police, they are not there to "teach" others how to drive or enforce rules.
They are often a cause of a bad driving behaviors and road rage.
I never understood that people who agree to "live and let live" don't want to accept "drive and let drive".
Really, it should stop being their business if others drive faster that the limit or not.
That’s not the only annoying thing that drivers do in the fast lane. They leave more than 20 car lengths between themselves and the car in front of them; they match the speed of the person next to them, which is blocking anyone from passing in either lane; and they speed up and slow down based on how much they are paying attention. All of these things are annoying, and depending on what state you are in or if you are driving on a federal highway, any of them could be illegal!
READ THIS:
https://www.grandtournation.com/4906...ep-right-laws/

Last edited by elnina; 10-24-2018 at 08:17 AM..

Old 10-24-2018, 07:55 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post

If you like to see people get hurt from frustration after you block them on the road, you should watch the car crashes on youtube, they have tons of videos like that. You'd be in heaven.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:12 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,518,435 times
Happens almost weekly September through April

Mostly WA, IL & CA plates, with just a touch of grey hair peeking above the

steering wheel. surprisingly a few of them did not purchase the turn signal package

Old 10-24-2018, 08:21 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
I'm sure the OP really enjoyed that. I'm sure he also enjoys tormenting other drivers to the point of frustration. Good job OP.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:56 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,814,454 times
Half of the posters obviously didn't read the OP. He was driving on a two lane, not a four lane, so there was no obstruction of traffic or hanging in the wrong lane. He was exceeding the speed limit on a windy road. Just because dude behind him got impatient doesn't make the OP someone who "enjoys tormenting other drivers to the point of frustration" or see them "get hurt from frustration" and he wasn't religiously adhering to the speed limit.

I've had the same sort of thing happen with me, except I WAS in the left lane because I was getting ready to get into the left turn lane (and not a half a mile before my turn so I could pass everyone who is actually following the law on where to get into the turn lane) and I was in a school zone. So the 45 mph speed limit was lowered to 25 mph during certain hours, which was the time that I was driving by. Guy came blowing up on me, sat behind me for a second, whipped it over into the right lane and floored it. There were two police officers, one on each side of the road and they were very visible and not trying to hide. The guy blew past me at 50+ mph and was immediately pulled over. He was one of the reasons that the police had to park there to slow down speeders in the school zone. No need to speed in a school zone, no matter how much of a hurry you are in.

I will say in the OP's case, I hate that the other driver got pulled. Sometimes passing zones are short so you need to get out, get around and get back over quickly. That means exceeding the speed limit for a short time.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:24 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post

steering wheel. surprisingly a few of them did not purchase the turn signal package
Come to think of it, my car flashes the entire dashboard at me if I leave a signal while driving too long on without turning. Its hilarious. I wonder how many other makes do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive