U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 05:52 PM

15,291 posts, read 15,273,316 times

Advertisements

Kids need to be taught not to trust that drivers will stop for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 05:58 PM

6,633 posts, read 2,409,244 times
I saw someone pass a school bus recently.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:58 PM

13,477 posts, read 7,187,175 times
Well - I would never pass a bus with the stop sign up but I can understand why some might. In my subdivision they stop every block because no kid (even in high school) can walk more than a block, dontcha know, so if you get behind a bus you're gonna be late just getting to a main road where you can get around them.

Then, are kids are lined up waiting for the bus? No, they are sitting with their parents in their cars - and they aren't on the lookout for the bus - the bus can be there and they are still gathering their stuff and walking toward the bus. Oh, except for those hapless kids (again, some in H.S.) who are walking, perhaps as fast as a trot from their homes half a block away - WHILE THE BUS SITS - and EVERYONE else sits too.

I have even seen kids sitting with parents who then drive back to their homes after the bus comes - these parents aren't even on their own way to work! They get up and go out to sit with their kids before they even have to go to work themselves! What a strange world we live in.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:02 PM

32,173 posts, read 39,311,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Well - I would never pass a bus with the stop sign up but I can understand why some might. In my subdivision they stop every block because no kid (even in high school) can walk more than a block, dontcha know, so if you get behind a bus you're gonna be late just getting to a main road where you can get around them.

Then, are kids are lined up waiting for the bus? No, they are sitting with their parents in their cars - and they aren't on the lookout for the bus - the bus can be there and they are still gathering their stuff and walking toward the bus. Oh, except for those hapless kids (again, some in H.S.) who are walking, perhaps as fast as a trot from their homes half a block away - WHILE THE BUS SITS - and EVERYONE else sits too.

I have even seen kids sitting with parents who then drive back to their homes after the bus comes - these parents aren't even on their own way to work! They get up and go out to sit with their kids before they even have to go to work themselves! What a strange world we live in.
If I didn't know better I'd think you are my neighbor. Drives me crazy, too.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:27 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,736,279 times
My wife and I were talking about the unconscious drivers on the road today. And yesterday.

I related one of my happiest road events, some years back. To wit:

I stopped behind a stopped school bus on a rural road. Some ditz blonde 20-ish blew past me and past the bus with its STOP sign and lights flashing.

About 10 seconds later a deppity whizzed past us (bus was finished with his STOP), lights a-flashin. Oh that was SO cool! ONCE!!! Once some a-hole got caught. Thank you Jee zus!

Happens far too infrequently. A few days ago we were leaving the vets office and some woman we'd seen in the office, with MD white coat on, ran right through the red and turned left on a four-lane 45 MPH speed limit road. Unfortunately no garbage trucks were in the area to crunch her and show her the error of her ways.

People are just too bush and important nowadays to waste time on frivolities like rules, laws, common sense, or--heaven forbid!--driving.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:45 PM

59 posts, read 12,806 times
You can't stop for a bus when you're looking at your lap(cell phone). I think the majority of drivers are distracted. Some don't understand basic traffic laws either(stopping for a school bus, 4 way stops). Maybe drivers training courses need to practice with an actual school bus present in a parking lot.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:11 PM

12,569 posts, read 18,975,866 times
I think putting the bus stops on main roads is not helping matters any.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:59 PM

3,462 posts, read 2,155,554 times
Big fine if you do that in California.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:02 AM

4,889 posts, read 2,173,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

I like these neighbors that stay with their kids in a secured car. Seen and read about kids being accosted at or near a bus stop. I'm sorry that you consider it an inconvenience for you while the parents priority is safety. Gosh the nerve of these parents (who I'm sure pay taxes same as you) to be aware and take precautions.
I'm dearly sorry that folks don't realize how important your time is..or that of the others who are delayed..

Old 11-05-2018, 08:27 AM

9,872 posts, read 7,154,213 times
Here is an idea to help combat this. Why not equip the buses with cameras on the front and back that are activated when the lights come on. If some fool passes illegally then they are captured on the camera and the Police can send them a ticket/fine. Word will get around as a reminder that the law needs to be followed.

The number one way to prevent mishaps is to make sure the kids watch the road themselves and look both ways before crossing. The same goes for anyone in crosswalks that expect cars to stop for them. You can't trust anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or