U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 09:30 AM

32,329 posts, read 39,618,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Here is an idea to help combat this. Why not equip the buses with cameras on the front and back that are activated when the lights come on. If some fool passes illegally then they are captured on the camera and the Police can send them a ticket/fine. Word will get around as a reminder that the law needs to be followed.

The number one way to prevent mishaps is to make sure the kids watch the road themselves and look both ways before crossing. The same goes for anyone in crosswalks that expect cars to stop for them. You can't trust anyone.
Some have cameras already, at least here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 09:35 AM

7,019 posts, read 2,548,971 times
When I was a kid, school buses did not have those stop signs. I think I started seeing the signs about 20 years ago?

Old 11-05-2018, 09:57 AM

13,680 posts, read 7,331,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I like these neighbors that stay with their kids in a secured car. Seen and read about kids being accosted at or near a bus stop. I'm sorry that you consider it an inconvenience for you while the parents priority is safety. Gosh the nerve of these parents (who I'm sure pay taxes same as you) to be aware and take precautions.
I'm dearly sorry that folks don't realize how important your time is..or that of the others who are delayed..
These are in middle class and upper middle class subdivisions of a "city" of about 125,000 - we're not talking urban or high-crime in any sense of the word - and they aren't 7 year olds - they are all in middle school or higher.

The main point is that them BEING there and waiting in their parents' cars does not speed anything up - despite an adult sitting there. Kids AND parents are heads down looking at their phones and have to get their ish packed up once they see the bus right in front of them.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:27 AM

1,766 posts, read 701,203 times
Just a couple of weeks ago the NBC news affiliate out of Fort Meyers ran a story detailing over 600 instances of drivers not stopping for a stopped school bus. Some of the videos they showed were very frightening. I think a license suspension of six months might help to stop some of this.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:30 AM

4,122 posts, read 1,845,544 times
I see this almost every day; as I live on a street with a designated school bus stop on the corner & my youngest son receives transportation services for disabled students that stops right at the house.

This neighborhood was built in the 1950's & the street is only two blocks long. For years; it was a street that led basically nowhere, ran N-S from one slightly busier two-lane road to another slightly busier two-lane road. The road to the south ended two blocks from a small shopping area, otherwise, it was a neighborhood to neighborhood street. To the north, there was an older nursing home & a turf farm.

Ten years ago, the turf farm sold & a massive two-building medical complex was built, one building is 5 stories high, with an outpatient surgical center, physical therapy gym, various provider offices & a medical equipment retail store.

Then about 4 years ago, the Colorado DMV took over a long empty section of the shopping center to the south, that had once housed a grocery store. Three different "Student Driving Schools" quickly followed, that are also licensed to do DMV driving tests (ours is backlogged).

Now; this two blocks long residential street has become a "shortcut" for commuters, patients, those unlucky enough to be "taking a number" at the DMV & it's also a favored place for those driving schools to bring their students to practice parrallel parking.

I've been standing in the street & had drivers blow right past the bus while I'm helping my son board & they do have their lights flashing & sign extended. It IS caught on camera & if the bus driver gets a chance to catch the license plate number, they get on the radio with dispatch & call it in right away.

In the past couple of months, there has been a high-speed chase by police down our street & a fatal auto vs pedestrian accident (not a student) on the road to the south & I'm worried about the kids. Hopefully with DST over with, the potential for accidents will go down, because for the last few weeks; it's been dark out when my son boards his 6:50 am bus.

I think other areas may be having the same issue, which boils down to an infrastructure that was not designed to handle the volume of traffic that it now has to.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:51 AM

6,846 posts, read 1,660,107 times
I see people blow past them all the time around here, I think many people know its the law to stop, but are in too much of a hurry, the average driver will start blasting their horn if you are just the slightest bit late in taking off when light turns green, they expect you to get up to speed real quick too.

Its the same reason so many drivers hate semi trucks...they are big and slow moving.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:55 AM

13,697 posts, read 29,710,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
When I was a kid, school buses did not have those stop signs. I think I started seeing the signs about 20 years ago?
They had them when I was a kid in the 80s. I think it was 1991 when they started putting the flashing strobe light on the roof.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:03 AM

2,933 posts, read 8,401,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I see people blow past them all the time around here, I think many people know its the law to stop, but are in too much of a hurry, the average driver will start blasting their horn if you are just the slightest bit late in taking off when light turns green, they expect you to get up to speed real quick too.

Its the same reason so many drivers hate semi trucks...they are big and slow moving.
Too many people now adays are believing that it's ok for them to do it. They feel that driving a vehicle on the road is a right, not a privilege. They pass cars doing the speed limit, because they feel they are more entitled and their time is more valuable than someone else's life. There was another thread about passing cars that were going the limit on a regular road, they passed them and got a ticket for reckless driving. All the while on here saying that it was the other drivers fault. Too many these days don't understand courteous driving. Running thru stop signs, behind others. I was a a stop sign the other night, the road had a left turn lane in front of me, some idiot in a rice burner, loud muffler sewing machine, swerved into the left turn lane, blew thru the stop sign, instead of waiting behind 4 cars at the intersection. so easily could have been a terrible wreck.
Driving is a PRIVILEGE, use it wisely, cautiously, and remember there are others on the roads.
Most don't even know that a turn signal is ASKING to change lanes, not demanding, get out of my way cause I'm coming over.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:48 PM

214 posts, read 72,798 times
I nearly got run over earlier as a pedestrian at an intersection because several drivers chose to believe that them turning right on red takes precedent over a pedestrian crossing on a "walk" sign. I let one pass, 2nd one had stopped and I started walking but he changed his mind and just turned anyway even though I was already 1/3 across the street, third one had the audacity to honk at me for crossing the street at all. I swear to God, some of those morons probably have never even seen a driver's manual.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:01 PM

1,127 posts, read 793,507 times
They don’t stop because they don’t care. Just look at the responses to this thread.

If a kid walks out in front of them, it’s the kid’s fault. And the parents who should have taught them to not walk out in front of cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or