U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 08:40 PM

14,384 posts, read 12,699,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
These are in middle class and upper middle class subdivisions of a "city" of about 125,000 - we're not talking urban or high-crime in any sense of the word - and they aren't 7 year olds - they are all in middle school or higher.

The main point is that them BEING there and waiting in their parents' cars does not speed anything up - despite an adult sitting there. Kids AND parents are heads down looking at their phones and have to get their ish packed up once they see the bus right in front of them.
Just plain rude, inconsiderate and entitled.

We would be at the end of the driveway waiting for the bus. When the weather was bad, Mom would watch out of a window for the bus and we were in our coats, books and lunch in hand, ready to run out the door.

Mom would yell when she saw the bus coming and we would RUN out the door to the end of the driveway so the bus wouldn't have to wait for us.

Times sure have changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 09:22 PM

162 posts, read 166,120 times
I saw it a few weeks ago here. I leave earlier in the mornings now, so I don't end up behind the bus. Some drivers get pushy when they have to keep stopping for the bus, so I like to avoid being around it. It also helps avoid a lot of crazies that get in a hurry because they're late for work. A few minutes can make a big difference in traffic.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:46 PM

2,562 posts, read 2,221,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Why so many more today than in decades past?
It's because of the baby boomers, also known as the 'me generation.'

They have this scary combo of feeling entitled while also being in the early stages of degenerative brain function, which can be hard realize. Almost every time I'm on a run & some car blows right through the crosswalk next to me it's some older person who either doesn't even notice me, or they make eye contact & have that look that says get out of my way, I'm entitled.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:21 PM

1,777 posts, read 612,501 times
Drivers these days are more distracted than they were just a few years ago.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:11 AM

4,997 posts, read 2,235,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Just plain rude, inconsiderate and entitled.

We would be at the end of the driveway waiting for the bus. When the weather was bad, Mom would watch out of a window for the bus and we were in our coats, books and lunch in hand, ready to run out the door.

Mom would yell when she saw the bus coming and we would RUN out the door to the end of the driveway so the bus wouldn't have to wait for us.

Times sure have changed.
I agree, the folks who are complaining about the parents guarding their children and attending to their safety are indeed selfish. Be of community mind and stop it with the blame game . this entire concept that in "rich" or high income neighborhoods their should be a different standard of "crime?" Murder. kidnapping happen anywhere.

I feel sorry for todays parents having to be so on alert .

All our district buses come with cameras, our $$$ in revenue has gone up on these fines. I wish it didn't as ppl are willing to pay to speed thru bus stops....

Old 11-06-2018, 06:33 AM

13,680 posts, read 7,331,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I agree, the folks who are complaining about the parents guarding their children and attending to their safety are indeed selfish. Be of community mind and stop it with the blame game . this entire concept that in "rich" or high income neighborhoods their should be a different standard of "crime?" Murder. kidnapping happen anywhere.

I feel sorry for todays parents having to be so on alert .

All our district buses come with cameras, our $$$ in revenue has gone up on these fines. I wish it didn't as ppl are willing to pay to speed thru bus stops....
A group of kids standing on a corner in a middle class subdivision are gonna be kidnapped or murdered? You watch way too much tv lady. And that still has NOTHING to do with being rude and making others wait on you. I have no sympathy for helicopter parents who can't even get their kids ready on time anyway - maybe it would be safest if they just DROVE their kids to school?

Old 11-06-2018, 08:28 AM

2,933 posts, read 8,401,889 times
https://start.att.net/news/read/arti.../category/news

And this new article, about the idiot in Wisconsin that ran down 3 10 yr olds and a mother?! High, and driving. Worse is he had been arrested 2 months ago for a similar driving incident, (in another country) I'm assuming Canada, but, whatever. Totally distracted, "Treu and a passenger in the pickup truck both told investigators that prior to the crash they had intentionally been inhaling chemical vapors to get high, also known as "huffing."

The two groups of Girl Scouts participating in the highway cleanup project at the time were wearing "green highly visible safety vests" and were stationed in a ditch off the highway.

Investigators say Treu's pickup truck veered out of its lane, crossed the highway's center line and ended up in the ditch, striking five members of the group.

"The truck failed to stop and render aid, but instead left the scene of the crash," police said."

Seriously? People have to get killed to get attention! This is the me generation, I want to get high, I deserve it, it makes me feel good, ahhhhhhh, yeah, 4 people died due to my selfishness, but, I deserved that High...

Old 11-06-2018, 08:41 AM

974 posts, read 474,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"Why so many more today than in decades past?"
5. distractions increased with hand-held technology.

5 times more likely than a drunk to cause an accident, yet their use is blatant; and not enforced in my state b/c it's not even a moving violation.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:53 AM

1,403 posts, read 561,381 times
Well there was this several years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UTM40K53K8

and another where the bus was stopped and children were beginning to board the bus and a driver passed on the right inches from the open door barely missing the kids and parents. An angel was there which kept even one kid from stepping off the sidewalk a second earlier and onto the bus. I can't find a youtube video, however you can see it here https://jalopnik.com/video-scumbag-s...run-1700785711

Then there was this one where a late crossing kid nearly got run over. All involved were at fault. Even though the bus had retracted the stop sign and bar as a driver I would never speed past a stopped school bus in a neighborhood when I am seeing lots of children around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kh2-6WAfbo

Old 11-06-2018, 01:04 PM

8,936 posts, read 7,450,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
A group of kids standing on a corner in a middle class subdivision are gonna be kidnapped or murdered? You watch way too much tv lady. And that still has NOTHING to do with being rude and making others wait on you. I have no sympathy for helicopter parents who can't even get their kids ready on time anyway - maybe it would be safest if they just DROVE their kids to school?
Nearly happened to us in the mid 1970s. Middle class subdivision. Group of us elementary school kids waiting for the bus by ourselves. Guy in a car pulls up, opens his passenger door, then tells us we missed the bus and to get in and he was going to take us to school. One kid started to step forward but I grabbed him and held him back he closed the door and took off. Not even a minute later our bus arrived. My sister and I recently told our mom this story and she went pale. Donít know why we never told our parents until a few years ago. It was so long ago I wasnít sure if it really happened or if it was a nightmare dream. My sister verified it really happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or