Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 08:34 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,760,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I take it to the dealer because oil changes at the dealership are not expensive like they use to be i get mine changed for $35 and i don’t have to crawl on the ground and then dent rid of the old oil. I changed my own oil when i was younger but now i i let dealer do it while i have a free coffee and donut waiting. Many dealers have express oil change service.
Yea I don’t know. I have to get my car and my wife’s in for oil change and tire rotations. Hyundai dealership wanted around $250 for both cars (we own two Hyundai Sonatas). Ended up going to Honda next door. Synthetic oil, tire rotation on both cars, taxes and all, $$120 out the door. So in a sense, you are right, but I think it’s paramount to call around aach dealership and price check. Literally 200 feet from Hyundai I saved $130 on oil change prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 09:14 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
I saw gallons of marked-down, fully-synthetic engine-oil at Walmart the other day........$5.

If you are sick of the sleeze, incompetence and hard-sell that occurs when going to some oil-change places, consider doing it yourself.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:14 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Yea I don’t know. I have to get my car and my wife’s in for oil change and tire rotations. Hyundai dealership wanted around $250 for both cars (we own two Hyundai Sonatas). Ended up going to Honda next door. Synthetic oil, tire rotation on both cars, taxes and all, $$120 out the door. So in a sense, you are right, but I think it’s paramount to call around aach dealership and price check. Literally 200 feet from Hyundai I saved $130 on oil change prices.
Also look at the dealer service department specials i get my wife’s 2016 Kia Sorento oil change for $50 i don’t use full synthetic because Kia says to change oil every 6,000 to 7,000 miles regardless of what oil you use if you want to be compliant wit your Kia Warrenty. So that’s why i use what the dealer puts in this way I’m covered un Warrenty in case anythwas to happen, they can check their computer to see i was compliant in getting oil change when needed. I don’t know we’re you live but that’s much money, and to get tires rotated it’s $20. Hell thers a Kia dealer by me that will give you a free oil change for a free appraisal on any 2016 or newer Kia.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:37 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Stand there and watch. Refuse to authorize any product or service other than an oil change.

If they suggest anything else, politely tell them you will have your mechanic check it out.
I was an auto mechanic years ago... I guess I am naive. cebuan seems to have a reliable answer.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:45 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I saw gallons of marked-down, fully-synthetic engine-oil at Walmart the other day........$5.

If you are sick of the sleeze, incompetence and hard-sell that occurs when going to some oil-change places, consider doing it yourself.
This, also. I forgot - one time I did see Mobil 1 Full Synthetic at Auto Zone for $2.49 a quart, confirmed the price was accurate, and proceeded to buy the store out of all 42 quarts they had.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:58 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yep. Oil changes aren't expensive at my dealership. By the time I hit Walmart to buy 7 quarts of Mobil 1 and buy the OEM filter and drain plug crush washer online, it's not much of an up-charge. I kind of like my car up on a lift with a mechanic eyeballing it several times per year. I can then ignore them telling me I need to replace my brand-new engine air filter and cabin air filter I change myself. I won't go to a quick change place. Too much risk. If a dealership messes up, I have far more recourse.
But is your dealer using Mobil1 (or another equivalent synthetic) or some conventional bulk crap from a barrel?

Old 11-07-2018, 01:12 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
But is your dealer using Mobil1 (or another equivalent synthetic) or some conventional bulk crap from a barrel?
Synthetic conventional bulk crap could very well be better than top tier conventional

Old 11-07-2018, 01:14 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Like i s stated if you have a vehicle still under warranty why would you use full synthetic oil because in order to keep your warranty in tack you better get the oil change when you’re manual says to. If something happens and you are changing your oil at longer intervals because of running full synthetic oil and the dealer looks up your history and sees that you were not getting the oil changed according to the manufacturer they can deny your warranty if it has something to do with a internal engine component. If you own your vehicle that’s a different story or if it’s out of warranty.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:07 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Like i s stated if you have a vehicle still under warranty why would you use full synthetic oil because in order to keep your warranty in tack you better get the oil change when you’re manual says to. If something happens and you are changing your oil at longer intervals because of running full synthetic oil and the dealer looks up your history and sees that you were not getting the oil changed according to the manufacturer they can deny your warranty if it has something to do with a internal engine component. If you own your vehicle that’s a different story or if it’s out of warranty.
Just because you use synthetic doesn’t mean you have to use longer intervals, I use Pennzoil Platinum at 5k intervals. I like synthetic because it holds up to heat better, and also flows better at startup. I don’t care about longer intervals.

Personally, I think Hyundai/Kia’s 7500 mile OCI is too long for conventional oil, considering the all use GDI now. Drain it once yourself and you’ll notice how bad it looks and smells, it’ll be black as tar and smell like gas.

Some manufacturers like Toyota have gone to 0w oil, which is only available in synthetic, so dealers are likely using that, but if your engine uses a 5w oil they can use whatever cheapest stuff they can find.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:03 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Stand there and watch. Refuse to authorize any product or service other than an oil change.

If they suggest anything else, politely tell them you will have your mechanic check it out.
That’s good advice but unfortunately every dealer I ever been to takes the car and you dont see the mechanic working on it and you aren’t allowed in the work area. On regular independent shops or corner service stations you can walk out and see the mechanic working on your car.

What I find absolutely insane is oil change prices. I took my serivce truck to a local oil place. My company wanted synthetic oil. $140 for synthetic. It was gonna be $100 for regular.
I have four cars. One gets a oil change every two months simply due to the amount of driving I do. 2600 miles a month. So that would be 600 bucks a year for oil changes on one car. Say the the other three cars only did the typical 2/3 changes you’re still looking at 2/300 a year. So that’s another 6/900 a year strictly on oil changes.

Most dealers that have the $30 oil change coupon/special it’s strictly used as a hook to get you in and upsell you on other stuff. They aren’t doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. That’s where your “no I don’t want anything other than my oil change” comes in. The problem with the automotive world as I see it it’s hurry up and get to the next car. I diy and it takes me a while. I drain the oil, wipe everything down, look at everything under the car see if anything is loose worn or damaged, which allows me to make sure I have less of a chance of breaking dow.

If you truly want it done correctly
Diy if you can diy.
If not
Find a good mechanic that’s honest. That’s getting harder to find but they’re out there

As far as intervals for oil changes I do 5k. On some of my trucks it ends up being a once a year. For examp,e one truck I drove about 550 miles this year. It sits a lot. That’s why I plan on selling it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive