Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 08:43 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
I go to AAA or Sears for oil changes on discount, and they include tire rotations, but was considering the dealer.

Though my car is over 10 years old makes me wonder if they might discover more tings wrong with it.
Well you won’t be going to sears anymore they are going by by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 08:44 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,695 times
Is this a trick question?

Old 11-06-2018, 08:46 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
I still find that doing my own oil changes is the most effective to prevent myself from getting ripped off. I know it's done right and I know I'm getting a new filter and the synthetic oil I paid for. With a Fumoto oil drain installed I can easily do an oil change in my own garage. Dumping the oil is no problem. There are plenty of oil recycling facilities nearby. No special trip needed. I like to drain my oil for half an hour to get as much of the old crap out as possible. Dealers, jiffy lubes and independents are going to put that plug back in within 30 to 60 seconds after it was removed. Possibly with an impact wrench. As long as I do my own oil changes I won't ever have an oil change horror story to tell about. And there are plenty of them on any automotive forum.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I still find that doing my own oil changes is the most effective to prevent myself from getting ripped off. I know it's done right and I know I'm getting a new filter and the synthetic oil I paid for. With a Fumoto oil drain installed I can easily do an oil change in my own garage. Dumping the oil is no problem. There are plenty of oil recycling facilities nearby. No special trip needed. I like to drain my oil for half an hour to get as much of the old crap out as possible. Dealers, jiffy lubes and independents are going to put that plug in within 30 to 60 seconds after it was removed. Possibly with an impact wrench. As long as I do my own oil changes I won't ever have an oil change horror story to tell about. And there are plenty of them on any automotive forum.
I’ve never seen or heard of anyone useing an impact on a oil drain plug.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:52 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post

Just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I have heard about it.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:52 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,515,655 times
Quote:
Well you won’t be going to sears anymore they are going by by.
They ripped me on a brake job in the late 1990s. Brakes NEVER worked right, and I kept having to go back. More work each time. Another $100. Another $200. Another $250.

I NEVER went back to Sears after that - for car repair. I only did it because I worked at the mall at the time, and it was convenient.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:53 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by technow View Post
I live in apartment so I can't change the oil because my apartment prohibits working on cars in the parking lot. I see many videos about oil change scams. Can somebody recommend me a trustworthy oil change service in San Jose, please?
I'm in San Jose. I use my local mechanic to change my oil, because I can trust him to let me know if he sees any other problems, etc. He doesn't just check the oil. This is my mechanic. I live in the Rose Garden area, close to Westfield Valley Fair Mall. This is the guy I use:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/stevens-cre...e?osq=mechanic

He's always treated me fairly and done great work. I trust him.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:18 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
You haven’t lived.

When I was young I worked in a big auto joint. Sort of like a Pep Boys but it was a new chain. It later failed. I have seen people murdering cars. Wrong fluids in wrong places, no fluids, cars not placed correctly on lifts.

I do a majority of my own work. I have amechanic fir stuff I can’t get to or dint have time for. If i get old enough where I can’t do the work I’ll start leasing cars and turn them in.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I have heard about it.
Maybe on construction heavy equipment but on a car or pickup if you say so anything is possible.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You haven’t lived.

When I was young I worked in a big auto joint. Sort of like a Pep Boys but it was a new chain. It later failed. I have seen people murdering cars. Wrong fluids in wrong places, no fluids, cars not placed correctly on lifts.

I do a majority of my own work. I have amechanic fir stuff I can’t get to or dint have time for. If i get old enough where I can’t do the work I’ll start leasing cars and turn them in.
When i was in my 20’s in the 70’s i was a wrecker driver when tow trucks had a boom and a sling on them we called the truck the happy hooker. I could take a vehicle and back it into the garage stall with the vehicle still on my tow truck. And I’ve never seen anything like you described i guess we took pride in our work, i did oil changes all the time it was a mobile service station i worked at that had a garage. This is when mobile had the round gas pumps and we used a cred card machine with the paper and carbon paper. Had round oil cans you had to insert the spot into the can. And when gas caps on cars was behind the rear license plate this was whefull service gas stations were around. We never used the wrong fluids in vehicles because if we did i would not have a job anymore. This is when we used tack and dwell machines and timing lights and when cars had carberators and points and condenser. Mobile 1 oil wasn’t around then either, 10w30 and 10w40 was the oil back then. But we never did shoddy work and living in metro Detroit were there are garages everywhere back then you always did the work correctly because there was some other garage that would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive