Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 04:43 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times

Advertisements

I stopped going to dealerships to browse. Why?

Because they now have inventory only on the lot, not in the showroom.

That forces interaction with a sales person who can open the car. I'm a thinker. I hate mindless yapping. Sales people are paid commission only. They're hungry and most are inexperienced. Also, most don't know much about cars.

My solution is to visit the Denver car show yearly. I can browse multiple cars without having to deal with sales people. If I'm serious about buying a car, I rent it first for a few days.

Most people would prefer a root canal to car shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 05:00 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
I like tire kickin'.
Test drive lots of cars. If the sales guy is bored, he can come with.
I've had a few that just didn't feel like hanging around the dealership.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:12 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,388,108 times
The thing I hate absolutely the worst is: I spend up to an hour looking and negotiating back and forth with the salesman and I think we are about to make a deal and then he "has to run it by the sales manager" and then they try to good cop/bad cop me.

I miss the dealership I used in Fayetteville, Arkansas. The salesman I met was so laid back he'd say "go look and when you see a few you want to drive I'll get the keys". And "If you have any questions let me know".

Old 11-06-2018, 05:16 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
I don’t know why people on here have a problem with dealers i went 2 weeks ago and leased a 2018.5 Nissan Rogue Sport Sv with the winter package was in and out in couple hours most of the time was getting paperwork together. In fact instead of signing with a ink pen i used a stylus on a iPad and paperwork was printed out while i was in with the finance manager. No pressure from my sales man at all. I like going to different dealers and looking at vehicles. I’m 65 years old so buying a vehicle isn’t nothing new to me so i i don’t fall for any of the dealers sales tactics.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:34 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I don’t know why people on here have a problem with dealers i went 2 weeks ago and leased a 2018.5 Nissan Rogue Sport Sv with the winter package was in and out in couple hours most of the time was getting paperwork together. In fact instead of signing with a ink pen i used a stylus on a iPad and paperwork was printed out while i was in with the finance manager. No pressure from my sales man at all. I like going to different dealers and looking at vehicles. I’m 65 years old so buying a vehicle isn’t nothing new to me so i i don’t fall for any of the dealers sales tactics.
Same thing here. I have 3 dealers I deal with, never a problem with them! My Chevy dealer is excellent, know me by name, and most importantly to me they never forget it! Of course they do all my services on my GMs, so Im in there several times a year. The Ford dealer I deal with has proven themselves to me, after one dumped on me after years of loyal service, and so far they have proven to be top notch. The one Dodge dealer I now deal with has been excellent so far as well. Son had issues with the wheel sensor on his car, they replaced all 4, and didnt charge me!

Old 11-06-2018, 06:26 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,133,096 times
I actually like going to the dealership. I stopped in yesterday and asked my sales friend if I can take a Panamera Turbo on a long test drive. It was 11am, he said sure, just please have it back by 3 when I leave. Haha I told I don’t need it for 4hrs. Hopefully next week, I’ll be taking out a 991 911 turbo s when one of his clients trades it in for a 19 turbo s. In the big picture, I pay (through buying and service and being a becoming friends with the employees) to take these test drives whenever I please, but it’s a good trade off.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:40 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times
When we bought our car in 2017, the salesman was very low key. We knew what we wanted, picked it out, filled out the paperwork, no sweat. Then we got stuck in this room with a very disagreeable women who insisted we had to get an extended warranty. We argued with her for about 20 minutes and then just got up and walked out. I hear she doesn't work there anymore. I'm sure there were a ton of complaints about her "style".

Old 11-06-2018, 07:57 AM

6,356 posts, read 7,766,843 times
Go Sunday morning, early. At least it used to be that way. No service/parts department people and showrooms don't open until later in the morning.

Just purchased a new car a couple weeks ago. A very smooth transaction. A day or two later when I went into have an accessory installed, I asked him, saying he didn't have to tell me if he couldn't or didn't want to, how many cars he sells in a month.

He said at his dealership, a very popular, well respected one, that the sales staff have to sell sixteen cars a month to continue employment. They won't lose their job if they miss the goal on any particular month, but if it is a month-to-month missing the goal, they are gone.

I didn't realize they needed to sell that many and helps understand the pressure they are under. (I live in an area where the total metro population is 145,000. Not a lot.)

When you go onto a lot with the intention of just browsing, you need to tell the first salesman/saleswoman who approaches you that you would like their card, (to establish a "business relationship"), and tell him/her that you detest high-pressure sales tactics and just want to wander around the lot. Tell him/her that when you have any questions, that you will go into the showroom and ask for him/her specifically.

After that, if they don't leave you alone . . . leave immediately and try again on an early Sunday morning.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 11-06-2018, 07:59 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Money is a tool that I cannot afford to waste.

To ME, most of the time, buying a car at a dealership means you are overpaying for that vehicle.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:15 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
Anyone else really dislike this? .
It's more about the behavior of the customer then the dealership.

All dealerships have a Sales Manager. His/her job is to get the salespeople to sell cars. There are multiple tactics and theories about selling. Some are more aggressive and some less aggressive.

Some people complain that no salesperson approached them IMMEDIATELY while others complain about salespeople approaching too quickly.
Some just wish to browse while others want to deal right away.

For the most part, the customer has to do their homework and decide what they want before going to the dealership. While others don't have a clue what they want and require the salesperson to explain everything about all/many of the vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
When you go onto a lot with the intention of just browsing, you need to tell the first salesman/saleswoman who approaches you that you would like their card, (to establish a "business relationship"), and tell him/her that you detest high-pressure sales tactics and just want to wander around the lot. Tell him/her that when you have any questions, that you will go into the showroom and ask for him/her specifically.
Best.
Use this tactic if customer just wants to browse. Simple and effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive