Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 01:57 PM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Research what you want and deal with only with the internet sales dept. Don’t step foot inside the dealership until you have worked out all the numbers and have a solid approval in writing if you choose to finance.
solid advice!

I have done this for over a dozen new cars. Some dealers "get it" and others simply think it is a way to harass you into coming to the dealership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 02:12 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
solid advice!

I have done this for over a dozen new cars. Some dealers "get it" and others simply think it is a way to harass you into coming to the dealership.
Sad part is, you have a bunch of old-timers still in the business who think pressure, pressure, pressure is the way to sell cars.

I sold cars at a luxury dealer for 2yrs. I did the exact opposite of what was preached to me by management and my customers loved me. Never did I use any pressure tactics. I always answered their questions and gave them options. If/when I’m out on the lot I would ask if they had any questions. 9/10 I would get the usual “we’re just looking”. I would answer back with “not a problem. My name is _____. If you have any questions, feel free to stop inside and ask for me”. I would give them my card and leave them be.

So long as the sales rep is friendly, knowledgeable, and respectful, he will do well. No need for for all the games and gimmicks.

On the flip side, customers can be the difficult ones. The minute you cant discount a car by $10,000 they’re calling you a crook. They want you to make the impossible possible and when you cant you’re a sleezy car sales rep who is just looking to rob everyone. It’s not an easy business to be in.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:45 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Sad part is, you have a bunch of old-timers still in the business who think pressure, pressure, pressure is the way to sell cars.

I sold cars at a luxury dealer for 2yrs. I did the exact opposite of what was preached to me by management and my customers loved me. Never did I use any pressure tactics. I always answered their questions and gave them options. If/when I’m out on the lot I would ask if they had any questions. 9/10 I would get the usual “we’re just looking”. I would answer back with “not a problem. My name is _____. If you have any questions, feel free to stop inside and ask for me”. I would give them my card and leave them be.

So long as the sales rep is friendly, knowledgeable, and respectful, he will do well. No need for for all the games and gimmicks.

On the flip side, customers can be the difficult ones. The minute you cant discount a car by $10,000 they’re calling you a crook. They want you to make the impossible possible and when you cant you’re a sleezy car sales rep who is just looking to rob everyone. It’s not an easy business to be in.

I recently bought a new vehicle. Go to your bank first to check on financing before you visit the dealership, just dont tell them that at first. I tell then right up front, I dont have to buy a new vehicle, then hit them with a really low price on the car you want, to see where they stand. I work up from that instead of down on their price. Make them work for it. They are going to make money on the car. Its just up to you to see that they dont sc**w you. I have more than once left a dealership that just wont deal. Some dealers think their cars are gold. They are not.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:53 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
I've test driven almost a dozen vehicles, been to several dealerships, and I finally found one where when I asked about pricing they told me the online price and acknowledged that they're not gonna sell at MSRP.

All the other ones told me MSRP and then hemmed and hawed when I told them about the online price. This dealership has a very good chance of getting my business because they didn't treat me like an idiot coming in. I might try to get better from them still, but I'm looking at cars where I'm comfortable with the online price, so I'm okay with that as the basis for a conversation.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:31 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
OK...I'll bite. Why would you buy a car if you don't drive anymore?
My son or daughter in law drive me and my husband to appointments, grocery shopping etc. The do not have a car.

I did get it today, everything went smoothly, so far at least. Hopefully no problems develop. It took all day but it went well.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:56 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Has anyone tried Carmax by chance? Understand it's less of a high pressure - high sale kind of place.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:09 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
Seven pages in two days. Yeah, this is a common pain point!

I hate car buying so much that the last time DH and I bought one I was in India on business. He sent me details on a few he liked, we chose one and I handed him a check from the HELOC to pay for it when I got home. We did go together to pick it up. We bought our last two from Enterprise Rentals so they were a couple of years old but low-mileage. We ran both by a trusted mechanic and, in one case, got the price knocked down a bit when the mechanic pointed out a potential problem. No BS, no dickering, no junk fees, no high pressure to finance through them.

DH died 2 years ago and the car is a 2012 so I'm hoping it will last a good, long time. When it dies, I'm going back to Enterprise.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:32 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
That's the whole point, to make you pay more by making it miserable to pay less. Want to have it be easy? Just pay what they are asking. They will be super nice throughout the whole process! I watched it happen at the table next to me. I was pitching fits and it took all day but I paid way less.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:39 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
That's the whole point, to make you pay more by making it miserable to pay less. Want to have it be easy? Just pay what they are asking. They will be super nice throughout the whole process! I watched it happen at the table next to me. I was pitching fits and it took all day but I paid way less.

You have the ultimate power. You can just walk. Too many people simply don't exercise that power. When I bought my truck in 2016 all I got was high pressure from the Ford dealer and they wouldn't go below $5k below factory sticker. I walked and bought my Silverado the next day for almost $16k below factory sticker. The Ford had a few features the Chevy didn't have, but they weren't worth $11k more. Now that Chevy has caught up with Ford in the safety feature department, I won't even waste my time with Ford when I buy my next truck.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:52 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
I'll sooner keep driving my vehicle I purchased already pre-owned than buy a new base model. I'm not dropping tens of thousands on a new car with manual windows and locks, cloth seats, and a rubber steering wheel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive