Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 08:13 PM

496 posts, read 445,721 times

Advertisements

Anyone else really dislike this? I remember in the past going to dealerships and either no salesperson came out when we drove up, or we told them "only looking" and they backed away.

A few weeks ago stopped at 3 dealerships and sure enough, at the two I got out at, someone was walking out before I even got out of the car. One I just drove through because I didn't figure they had anything I wanted. But they were already following me around as I drove. lol One of them kept pestering me to come inside and meet the sales manager, etc, I almost couldn't get away fast enough. Despite I kept telling them I was just starting to look and wasn't even sure what I wanted yet.

Another thing that annoyed me is that dealer network doesn't put the price on their cars, but they do online. So I decided, no more dealership trips. I can see what they have online, and the price and mileage. There's no point in going there and dealing with all the pushiness until I see something I'm actually interested in on the website, in the right color, trim etc. Then I can go and look at it more closely, possibly test drive, etc once I know it's there. Until then, no need to go through all that. The only issue with it is, it's hard to know if you're going to be interested in a car unless you actually get a feel for it. So you might be waiting on something you decide wasn't what you though it would be other than the looks of it.

I know like anyone in sales, they're trying to earn their living. I just get tired of being asked how much I want to finance, do I have trade in, etc. I always feel like if I answer those questions early on, then they already know how much they can get out of me. Oh, and they always assume that since I'm young, and drive an older car, then I'm going to have trouble getting financing or someone is going to have to pay for the car for me.

Of course I'm sure they're just trying to be helpful but I know what I am willing to spend, and they don't need to know all of that up front. I just want to look at cars I'm interested in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 08:20 PM

987 posts, read 779,266 times
Try to go armed be a buyer, not A SHOPPER.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
This is exactly why I love buying cars. The fun of playing with them. I love walking away with a salesman chasing me. The last 3, I have bought from the same place, however, with none of that. After buying cars for about 40 years I found one that is honest and cooperative, not pushy, no games. Takes the fun out of it but then I end up with what I want at the price I want. Very few of those dealers around.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:41 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
Of course I'm sure they're just trying to be helpful but I know what I am willing to spend, and they don't need to know all of that up front. I just want to look at cars I'm interested in.
They're not trying to be helpful, well they are, but not out of the goodness of their hearts, they're trying to earn a living. Most car salesman still make the majority of their income off commission. The majority of dealerships have a base salary of around $10/hour, and if they aren't selling cars, that's all they're making. That's why they ask so many questions, they're called pre-qualifiers. They don't want to waste hours of their time working a deal that isn't going to happen.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:51 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,514,935 times
Whenever I tell them I am just looking and will come find them when I am ready, they always leave me alone.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:56 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Then don't go. Use an auto broker instead.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:13 PM

844 posts, read 1,442,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
Anyone else really dislike this? I remember in the past going to dealerships and either no salesperson came out when we drove up, or we told them "only looking" and they backed away.

A few weeks ago stopped at 3 dealerships and sure enough, at the two I got out at, someone was walking out before I even got out of the car. One I just drove through because I didn't figure they had anything I wanted. But they were already following me around as I drove. lol One of them kept pestering me to come inside and meet the sales manager, etc, I almost couldn't get away fast enough. Despite I kept telling them I was just starting to look and wasn't even sure what I wanted yet.

Another thing that annoyed me is that dealer network doesn't put the price on their cars, but they do online. So I decided, no more dealership trips. I can see what they have online, and the price and mileage. There's no point in going there and dealing with all the pushiness until I see something I'm actually interested in on the website, in the right color, trim etc. Then I can go and look at it more closely, possibly test drive, etc once I know it's there. Until then, no need to go through all that. The only issue with it is, it's hard to know if you're going to be interested in a car unless you actually get a feel for it. So you might be waiting on something you decide wasn't what you though it would be other than the looks of it.

I know like anyone in sales, they're trying to earn their living. I just get tired of being asked how much I want to finance, do I have trade in, etc. I always feel like if I answer those questions early on, then they already know how much they can get out of me. Oh, and they always assume that since I'm young, and drive an older car, then I'm going to have trouble getting financing or someone is going to have to pay for the car for me.

The reason I have highlighted is why I'm sure car salesmen's commission sales have went down drastically since the emergence of the internet.

No I don't like going to car dealerships because they follow you around. There are car dealerships here, where salesmen stand in the window with their faces pressed up against the glass from the inside, like a puppy at the shelter.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:20 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
wish I could make 500$ in under two hours of the gift of gab.
Commissions for one sale is roughly 2% of the deal.
I dread also going there knowing all the guy has to do is "let me speak with my manager" and suddenly the price meets the buyers needs, barring any of hidden add ons they do so enjoy putting in the deal. Such as Hey you get to pay for our advertising! 700$ to put their dealership stickers on your car. Or that will be $250 more since you mentioned you saw the car advertised on the internet at our website. ( yes I actually had them charge me for that!)

Old 11-06-2018, 02:53 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
Thats a good reason to start at Carmax. You can walk around their lot and not be hounded plus they have such a variety of cars you can certainly find something you like. You don't have to buy from them but for someone who has no idea what they want its a great place to go.

Find the car you want then shop dealers for the best deal for that make and model car.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:14 AM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
I read this in 2000, short after I came to this country and it changed my life. I learned a lot about car buying strategies and how to deal with car salesmen.
I don't fear them, they fear me
https://www.carbuyingtips.com/sitemap.htm

BTW: I first get all info about what I am going to buy, online, then I visit car lots after hours or on days they are closed. That way I can look around without them chasing me around the lot. When I selected cars I like, I negotiate my ways using many of the tips and strategies from the link above. I also have my credit report and check with banks anout financing. It surely helps that I have an excellent credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive