Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have You Ever Received a Speeding Ticket?
Yes 209 69.90%
No 90 30.10%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 04:07 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,285,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
That's a pretty lame ticket. I've had a couple of lame tickets too. Tickets like that **** me off more than a ticket for something fun. If you're going to get fined and mess up your driving record, you might as well have some fun doing it...

You got that right!!! 20-40 over is far more worth it than 6mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 04:19 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
He sounds like a prick. 32 in a 25 is nothing, man.

I have no complaints with getting a ticket when I get caught breaking the law. That's the officer's job, and I'd never make it a personal thing, as long as he didn't. But unless somebody is doing something really dangerous, there's no reason for the officer to be a prick about it.
Yeah, but one ticket in 22 years, so not too bad! That was in Poland, Ohio and I'm not in that area anymore.

And I agree.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:19 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincsta View Post
I had one cop a couple years ago that was drving an unmarked car doing 40 mph down this 2-lane rural road. He was a deputy sheriff... I passed him and within seconds his lights came on and I pulled over... I was driving a loaner car since mine was in the shop.

The guy comes up to the car with this buford t. justice look and tells me I just passed a "Law Enforcement Vehicle" and on a double yellow line"... I told the guy where i passed you was in a passing zone, and the reason I passed was because you were going 40 and the limit is 55. He asked where I was going, and i told him "to school" where I taught.... "Oh, you teach there?" he asked... I said yeah... =/ anyways the guy is gone forever and comes back, tells me that my insurance card is for a Lincoln and I'm driving a chevy... I tell him (for the 2nd time) this is a loaner car, then he proceeds to tell me I have a clean record, and he's issuing me a ticket, but if I follow him to the courthouse he'll make sure that it doesn't go on my record and the ticket is torn up... I said, "OK fine"...

Seemed sort of odd, but I follow Buford T. to the courthouse, where the "High Sheriff" is waiting, tell the Sheriff the story (my side) and he informs Buford T. to stop with the foolishness ofhiding and catching people on that road with his 40mph crap like he was doing (apparently I wasn't the first that Buford T had caught)....or the Buford was going to be severely repremanded... lol

Got out of that one - and for some odd reason never saw buford again on that road when I was teaching at that school...
That's pretty shady. What state was that in?

Old 01-03-2010, 04:49 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
and tells me I just passed a "Law Enforcement Vehicle" and on a double yellow line"... I told the guy where i passed you was in a passing zone, and the reason I passed was because you were going 40 and the limit is 55.
A couple of years ago (my wife driving), we followed a county motorcycle officer from our neighborhood up I95 in Northern VA for about 10 miles. At one point he slowed in the right hand lane behind some traffic and my wife passed him on the left. She was going just at the speed limit when she passed (we aren't dumb enough to blow by a cop speeding). A few seconds later he came up on the right, hitting his siren, pointing for us to pull over. My wife said to me, "I wasn't over the speed limit". He came up to the car, outraged about us passing. I mean he was really mad! He said things like, "Don't you see 'Police' written all over my bike? You disrespected me by passing me like that. What would it look like to these other drivers if I let you do that without pulling you over?" I asked him twice, "How fast was she going sir?" He never answered me and of course never issued any ticket.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:16 PM

118 posts, read 251,160 times
Quote:
That's pretty shady. What state was that in?
lets just say its a "southern state"... never know buford T may be on this forum looking for my a** right now wondering if I still got the same car... or teaching at the same school... lol

Old 01-16-2010, 07:17 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
you may be rearended?
I'd rather be rear-ended by another car than by the costs of another ticket!

Old 01-16-2010, 07:44 AM

404 posts, read 1,555,956 times
one or two minor

10mph over...15mph over

Old 01-16-2010, 08:31 AM

People go crazy here on Friday afternoons.... had two guys that were behind me in the far left lane (speed limit 70 - I was doing about 78) and they thought I wasn't going fast enough.... I got on up to 90 and they still were on my a**.... I moved to the center lane when I saw what appeared like a swift moving Crown vic approaching... haha... I was still doing about 85 and he passed me on up and stopped those other two guys....

Old 01-16-2010, 08:46 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Quote:
People go crazy here on Friday afternoons.... had two guys that were behind me in the far left lane (speed limit 70 - I was doing about 78) and they thought I wasn't going fast enough.... I got on up to 90 and they still were on my a**.... I moved to the center lane when I saw what appeared like a swift moving Crown vic approaching... haha... I was still doing about 85 and he passed me on up and stopped those other two guys....
Reminds me of the time about 35 years ago when I was driving across Wyoming somewhere. You could see for days...pretty empty highway, open country, rolling hills. I noticed a car moving up on me from the back, after a while they caught up with me. About the time they caught up with me, I noticed in my rearview mirror what looked like every cop in the state, lights on, cresting a hill a ways back. I looked at the car that was at that point beside me...two guys in it...VERY intense. The looked a little, um, focused. The passenger was rocking and had what looked like a shotgun sitting between his knees, barrel up.

They went on by, a couple minutes later the cops caught up and blew by. About 10 minutes later I saw the first car off the road on it's side, two men on the ground, on their stomachs...looked handcuffed.

To this day I have no idea who that was or what was going on.

I was going about 80 in the day when the speed limit was 55. I've wondered what some poor slob would think speeding along like me, not seeing the guys with the gun, when every cop in the world came up on them!

Old 01-16-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Reminds me of the time about 35 years ago when I was driving across Wyoming somewhere. You could see for days...pretty empty highway, open country, rolling hills. I noticed a car moving up on me from the back, after a while they caught up with me. About the time they caught up with me, I noticed in my rearview mirror what looked like every cop in the state, lights on, cresting a hill a ways back. I looked at the car that was at that point beside me...two guys in it...VERY intense. The looked a little, um, focused. The passenger was rocking and had what looked like a shotgun sitting between his knees, barrel up.

They went on by, a couple minutes later the cops caught up and blew by. About 10 minutes later I saw the first car off the road on it's side, two men on the ground, on their stomachs...looked handcuffed.

To this day I have no idea who that was or what was going on.

I was going about 80 in the day when the speed limit was 55. I've wondered what some poor slob would think speeding along like me, not seeing the guys with the gun, when every cop in the world came up on them!
that would be some wild crap to come up on now. yikes man...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive