Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have You Ever Received a Speeding Ticket?
Yes 209 69.90%
No 90 30.10%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:41 AM

228 posts, read 460,367 times

Advertisements

Never, because I've never driven a car!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 11:52 AM

118 posts, read 251,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Oh man, that would be one lame ticket. I'd much rather get a speeder for 30 over than to have to tell my buddies I got nailed for driving barefoot...
i don't think i would tell anyone I got a ticket driving barefoot... ...But if one of my buddies were with me, the word would probaby spread fairly quickly...

Old 01-16-2010, 12:13 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincsta View Post
i don't think i would tell anyone I got a ticket driving barefoot... ...But if one of my buddies were with me, the word would probaby spread fairly quickly...
Oh man, would it ever.... If your friends are anything like mine, you'd never hear the end of that one. You'd be catching s*$t about that for the next 20 years.

If I'm going to take a penalty, I at least want a ticket with good bragging rights. Anthing 20+ mph over the speed limit will generally do it.

I've gotten a couple of lame tickets, for stuff like rolling through stop signs. I've felt stupid more than anything else when I've gotten busted for that. But I was never bothered by a good respectable speeding ticket -- and I always told my friends about those.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:32 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,743 times
I've had two and one warning ticket in 37 years of driving. The first one was in 1978. It was Friday afternoon and I was on my way to deposit my first professional paycheck. I thought that the speed limit was 40 mph. Out of nowhere a policeman appeared with the lights flashing and the siren going full blast. Thinking that they were chasing someone else and would pass me, I kept driving along. Imagine my horror when I realized that the patrolman was after me! He was really mad by the time I pulled over. I went to the court and saw several other coworkers present. We were all new to the area and had driven right into one of the local "speedtraps".

Old 01-16-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Oh man, would it ever.... If your friends are anything like mine, you'd never hear the end of that one. You'd be catching s*$t about that for the next 20 years.

If I'm going to take a penalty, I at least want a ticket with good bragging rights. Anthing 20+ mph over the speed limit will generally do it.

I've gotten a couple of lame tickets, for stuff like rolling through stop signs. I've felt stupid more than anything else when I've gotten busted for that. But I was never bothered by a good respectable speeding ticket -- and I always told my friends about those.
haha.... i hear that.... I got one out of state once where the light was green, then some dude stopped in front of me, so I'm sitting under this light when it changes red.... I didn't see the state cop on the corner, just waiting to get on thru the intersection....

I look up, see lights in the grille and I pulll over not realizing the guy is after me til he pulls behind me and waves me into this driveway on some narrow street....

He gets out, tells me how nice my truck looks, etc etc, then tells me he's "forced to issue me a citation"... I'm like yea sure you are.... The dude tells me that the fine is $50 pay on the spot or go to court and fight it.... I'm not from his town, just pulled off the interstate looking for food and gas then get caught....

I pay the $50 on the spot, figure might as well figure my way back to the expressway and get the heck out of dodge since it was getting later in the evening...

I often wonder what type dinner he had on me that night...

Old 01-16-2010, 02:29 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
About paying "on the spot." I got a ticket in NW Wyoming for speeding. The cop told me I could either mail it in, show up at court and fight it, or pay him now. The look on my face must have told him what I was thinking because he said it was legal, they even took credit cards (he showed me the machine) and then told me that Florida did it that way, too.

I'd never run across that before or since.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
About paying "on the spot." I got a ticket in NW Wyoming for speeding. The cop told me I could either mail it in, show up at court and fight it, or pay him now. The look on my face must have told him what I was thinking because he said it was legal, they even took credit cards (he showed me the machine) and then told me that Florida did it that way, too.

I'd never run across that before or since.
i've never run across that either... this was a shocker to me... But about a year later I had my state run a dmv record on me from that state and it never did show up on my record... I still to this day think that cop took the 50 bucks and walked off.. Besides a $50 ticket is somewhat rare... That may have been a ticket cost years and years ago, but not in the last 10...

Old 01-16-2010, 03:53 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincsta View Post
i've never run across that either... this was a shocker to me... But about a year later I had my state run a dmv record on me from that state and it never did show up on my record... I still to this day think that cop took the 50 bucks and walked off.. Besides a $50 ticket is somewhat rare... That may have been a ticket cost years and years ago, but not in the last 10...
Sounds like a cheap ticket, and no points to boot!

Old 01-16-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
yeah really.... probably the first guy he'd caught that had a 50 on him that day..

Old 01-16-2010, 05:11 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:

When I first started driving, a $50 ticket was considered very expensive. My first ticket was $35, IIRC, or somewhere around there. That was back in the 1980s.

I was with a buddy of mine once when he got a ticket, and we both got sticker shock from it. It was in the early 1990s, and the ticket was $240. We were both shocked when we saw that amount listed on the ticket. There was a period in the early 1990s when fines went way up. Around $200 is now about an average fine, and anything less is considered pretty cheap.

I went to court for my last ticket, and it got knocked down to $35. What a joke. It was supposed to be around $130, which isn't really that much and wouldn't have bothered me, but I wanted to see if I could have some fun with it and game the system. I have to say, going to traffic court is highly entertaining. If and when I get my next ticket, I'll probably go to court just for the entertainment value, rather than mail in the payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive