U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 10:57 AM

814 posts, read 339,819 times

Advertisements

How many of those midsize sedans/compact crossovers from the 2000s were actually equipped with six cylinders? How many are now equipped with the two liter turbos? I expect it’s about a quarter. People are mostly just interested in going from point A to B in a relatively safe, comfortable, and efficient manner.

Take a car like the old Taurus. They all had standard six cylinders, but I believe the maximum horsepower that the Duratec ever made was 200. A Fusion today with the 2.5 or 1.5T is probably a bit heavier comparatively equipped but it should accelerate faster and return better fuel economy when compared to whatever 3.0 V6 the Taurus had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 09:12 PM

2,255 posts, read 2,753,790 times
I think its doing good for everything, both automotive and marine. Just a few years ago I would have thought myself crazy to get anything smaller then a V8 in a full sized pickup. Just this year I bought a supercab F150 4x4 with a tiny 2.7 ecoboost and it is the fastest and hardest pulling truck I've ever had. And I've only had V8's. It's power output in torque and HP blows anything away in ratings that I've ever owned and that includes the Lincoln 460 I put in my Bronco years ago. And I am getting an honest 19/20 MPG all around and 25 on the highway. It also pulls my 21ft center console as if it wasn't even there.

Big marine diesels are putting out power unheard of 20 years ago. The old 100 HP a hole has been blown away as 12 cylinder engines are cranking out 2000 HP now. And everything burns much cleaner. The EPA is pushing manufacturers to clean up the motors and with modern computers they are tuned and built to burn every drop of fuel instead of letting unburnt fuel go out the exhaust. How often do you see modern diesels coughing up black smoke on acceleration.

Maybe, it adds a bit more to the cost but I feel it is being made up for in savings at the pump.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:07 PM

4,055 posts, read 3,596,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
The audi RS3 with a 2.5t puts out 400hp are you saying that's not enough for these cars? The mercedes 2.0 twin-scroll outputs 375hp , and these will get more powerful soon. No need for V8's at all! The RS3 gets 28 mpg with 0-60 in 3.5 secs from a freaking 4 cyl with an awesome exhaust note too. Keep in mind a standard suburban comes with 355hp from a beefy useless V8.
No I'm not. 400 is probably more than enough. I was talking mostly about hp. My 3900lb cvpi makes 250 at the crank, I have driven Charger R/Ts that are 4100lbs and have 412hp, world a difference in those two size sedans. There's a thing called engine efficiancy where an engines has to make enough power/wieght ratio to properly move the platform or you end up with things like a 80s Caprice with a 4.3 v6 dragging itself around with hopes and prayers. You can't compare a Suburban to a car, it's v8 is not useless. It allows it to tow near it's curbwieght and provide a decent power to wieght ratio which the thing needs. Now you could consider the ecoboost F150, which is only middle ground compared to it's competitors. The Camaro and Silvarado are supposed to get a new "Iron duke," I wonder how that'll work out. A smaller engine does make an overall lighter car, that is a good thing.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:10 PM

4,055 posts, read 3,596,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
How many of those midsize sedans/compact crossovers from the 2000s were actually equipped with six cylinders? How many are now equipped with the two liter turbos? I expect itís about a quarter. People are mostly just interested in going from point A to B in a relatively safe, comfortable, and efficient manner.

Take a car like the old Taurus. They all had standard six cylinders, but I believe the maximum horsepower that the Duratec ever made was 200. A Fusion today with the 2.5 or 1.5T is probably a bit heavier comparatively equipped but it should accelerate faster and return better fuel economy when compared to whatever 3.0 V6 the Taurus had.
That's true. And the Fusion sport had 310.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:54 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,435,149 times
Cash for Clunkers are the main reason used cars are more expensive today

Old 11-13-2018, 10:31 PM

9,447 posts, read 7,415,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Cash for Clunkers are the main reason used cars are more expensive today
How? That program was limited to only 500k cars. In the same year, the used car market was over 15 million. The program was a drop in the bucket and had no long term effects.

Can you prove your assertion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
How many of those midsize sedans/compact crossovers from the 2000s were actually equipped with six cylinders? How many are now equipped with the two liter turbos? I expect it’s about a quarter. People are mostly just interested in going from point A to B in a relatively safe, comfortable, and efficient manner.
The bolded is most likely the main reason. Personally, I don't give a crap about "power." As long as the engine works, I'm good.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
How? That program was limited to only 500k cars. In the same year, the used car market was over 15 million. The program was a drop in the bucket and had no long term effects.

Can you prove your assertion?j
The bolded is most likely the main reason. Personally, I don't give a crap about "power." As long as the engine works, I'm good.
It was done to get easy to repair DIY type cars and trucks off the road which leave us totally dependant on the dealership network for even minor routine maintenance.

It would be easier and cost much less to maintain a older N/A 6 or then a modern boosted car/truck just look at the ease of DIY/ Shade Tree Mechanic type upkeep on the Jeep 4.0 HO I6 or Fords 4.9L 300ci I6 or a Small block ford or Chevy V 8compared to todays cars and trucks Modren turbocharged engines.

Most were scrapped in Cash for Clunkers

Last edited by GTOlover; 11-13-2018 at 11:26 PM..

Old 11-13-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

Can you prove your assertion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THqnKKLD2rw

Old 11-15-2018, 07:12 AM

67 posts, read 34,656 times
The thing that gets me about all of the supposed mileage gains is that some of it is in fact trickery.

What I mean by that is how transmissions today are shifting at 1800 RPM and barely ever approaching peak horsepower or spooling up the turbo. This is all done to meet the government ratings but detracts from the driving experience with the engine just lugging along.

Now I'm an advocate of smaller engines but the peak horsepower rating is barely utilized unless you're flooring the car and forcing the transmission to rev the engine higher.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:58 AM

11,794 posts, read 8,244,773 times
My modded C6 Vette gets 31mpg all highway with no stops and no WOT burst. City is around 14.5 mpg the way i drive it. Once you start driving it hard with stops the mileage goes down the tubes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or