Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2018, 02:44 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,860,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Sure there is, Lithium Ion replaced Nickel Metal Hydride, and Lithium-air or Aluminum-air is set to replace Lithium Ion. Until the Volt did it, no one used Lithium Ion in cars, and now everyone does. But replacement chemistry is being worked on quite heavily. When we will see it in mass production is the big question...
I see your point. I should have posted more about the economics of mass production and the technology of mass production. Still, Lithium Ion and Lithium-Air and Aluminum-Air are not recent inventions - the chemistry itself isn't new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 03:03 PM

29,444 posts, read 14,628,378 times
Okay, i'm all in for EV !!
https://youtu.be/yPtoyRT2dOo

Old 11-11-2018, 05:11 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I'm sure you will be waiting a long time...
Not that long..... you can get a car now that will maintain lane control and have automatic braking.

Given that I can drive from Twin Falls, Idaho to I-15 outside of Las Vegas; that is about a ten hour drive. If it will maintain lane control and automatic braking I can go to sleep for ten hours!!

Coming quicker than you think....In ten years, the cities will be talking about restricting cars that are driven by humans.

In about a decade, if YOU want to DRIVE your car....you will have to do it on rural and mountain roads.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:38 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,249,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
In about a decade, if YOU want to DRIVE your car....you will have to do it on rural and mountain roads.
No, you won't.
A car purchased tomorrow won't even have reached the age of the average-aged car in the U.S. (11.9 years) in a decade.
There will be millions more sold for many years after tomorrow.

The politician that tells millions of people that they can't drive a car that they paid a whole bunch of their hard-earned money for on roads that they paid for isn't going to be a politician for long.

In 2028, there will still be many thousands of driver controlled cars for every autonomous car.
This is assuming that are any fully autonomous cars at all.
It's going to take a lot longer than a decade for driver controlled cars to work their way out of the system.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:40 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,892,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Yet Tesla ranks among the most unreliable vehicles in the world. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...ble-car-2018-9

EV’s have a drawback to counter every advantage. So yes, it’s automatic he manual. Or diesel vs gas.
Go live in an average apartment than go tell us how superior an EV is.
What you failed to see in your own link was the electric powertrain was actually very realible what was'nt were parking sensors, and bent metal.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:44 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,245,614 times
It's hard for people to "see" trends based on personal experience. Climate change kinda works the same way. I can't comprehend how me using my lawnmower is going to cause so much c02 to build up that it would affect the environment. Similiarly, based on my own opinion of loving to drive under my power using good ole dino juice, it's hard to think about how everyone is going to be driven around in their self driving cars.....

but it's not going to stop it happening. 1 killer application will change minds in a hurry and if you think about it.... isn't uber and lyft basically 1 step in the direction of self driving cars?

I can imagine calling an uber and having some guy who I don't speak to driving me to the airport, then realizing, it's not a guy but a hologram to make me feel better about a driverless car picking me up.

it's coming whether I (we) want it or not.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:48 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,249,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
What you failed to see in your own link was the electric powertrain was actually very realible what was'nt were parking sensors, and bent metal.
Spin it any way you want. Gas cars don't lose powertrains either... it's other stuff that breaks.
41% of any modern car needing repairs is a pathetic result.
So, where does it rank relative to others in the U.K.? Dead last. In the U.S.A? Dead last.

This is a Tesla problem, not an EV problem. EVs made by other manufacturers have been reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I can't comprehend how me using my lawnmower is going to cause so much c02 to build up that it would affect the environment.
IMO, electric lawn equipment will gain significant market share before much too longer for all residential lawn care.
I got rid of all of my gas powered equipment except for the mower and snowblower long ago, along with my corded power tools.
Once I think the electric mower and snowblower are good enough, the gassers are gone.

"Push a button and it goes" is just a whole lot more convenient.

Last edited by eaton53; 11-11-2018 at 06:19 PM..

Old 11-11-2018, 06:21 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,414,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Not that long..... you can get a car now that will maintain lane control and have automatic braking.

Given that I can drive from Twin Falls, Idaho to I-15 outside of Las Vegas; that is about a ten hour drive. If it will maintain lane control and automatic braking I can go to sleep for ten hours!!

Coming quicker than you think....In ten years, the cities will be talking about restricting cars that are driven by humans.

I cant imagine a mostly all EV world. All these vehicles will only be as reliable and safe, as long as the sensors are clean and maintained. I see problems there in bad weather. I guess everything will stop until the all clear is given. It will only take one vehicle with sensor problems in rush hour traffic to ruin yours and everybody's day.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:26 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
With all the talk about EV we are buying a PHEV. Plug it in every night. Electricity is cheap here and there are "plans" for those who do EV and PHEV that bring overnight electric prices down. Drive it where we need to go during the day. 40-50 miles on electric will cover 99% of our daily drive, so gas? Meh. Run the tank out a couple of times a year and refill w/fresh gas.

Being a PHEV there is no mileage worry. Use up the battery? Fill the tank. Cross country is a given.

At this point in the electric (r)evolution I think this is the best solution. Maybe an EV next time...maybe.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:27 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I cant imagine a mostly all EV world. All these vehicles will only be as reliable and safe, as long as the sensors are clean and maintained. I see problems there in bad weather. I guess everything will stop until the all clear is given. It will only take one vehicle with sensor problems in rush hour traffic to ruin yours and everybody's day.
You'v never seen a stalled ICE on the road? How fortunate. Cherry picking is not a viable argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive