Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2018, 09:39 AM

28,880 posts, read 14,243,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Probably in part due to Honda's commitment to have 2/3 of it's models offered by 2030 as EV or hybrid. https://world.honda.com/news/2017/c170608eng.html

Not sure I'm following your reply. Yes, Honda has invested 2.75 billion in GM, and is taking some work over, most likely so they can share tech to accomplish these goals.

Again, this all seems like the tail wagging the dog. I do not see consumer demand requiring the large corporations to drastically change their persona. GM is now a high tech transportation company ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 09:46 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,720,234 times
I would be more convinced of autonomous cars being the future if they tested them year round in northern Michigan instead of California cities.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:58 AM
46H

1,644 posts, read 1,377,872 times
Once you figure out when autonomous vehicles actually work in the real world, you need to add at least another 10 years until the tech shows up in affordable new vehicles.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:12 AM

18,924 posts, read 43,225,958 times
One problem I see with autonomous vehicles is that you would need to program a point B destination. I know for me personally, I don’t necessarily have a point B in mind, sometimes I’ll decide to stop somewhere while coming upon it. Sometimes I may suddenly decide to take an alternate route because I want to see something on a certain street.

It just seems like autonomous vehicles need a degree of planning, and much of my driving isn’t planned at all.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:20 AM

6,585 posts, read 5,831,015 times
I think safety should be the primary concern, not energy source.

Over 37,000 people die every year in cars. Comparatively, there's about 11,000 gun homicides a year and people want to totally ban guns. Why not ban cars???

Look, I don't care if the car's powered by gas, batteries, pedal power, nuclear fusion, or cow farts, as long as it keeps me and my loved ones safe while getting from point A to point B.

All this arguing over electric, battery prices, range etc. Yawn. Get back to me when you can build a vehicle that is survivable at 60 mph!

Old 11-13-2018, 11:39 AM

1,740 posts, read 1,230,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
All this arguing over electric, battery prices, range etc. Yawn. Get back to me when you can build a vehicle that is survivable at 60 mph!
Well your best chance to survive is in a Tesla...

Old 11-13-2018, 11:43 AM

18,924 posts, read 43,225,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I think safety should be the primary concern, not energy source.

Over 37,000 people die every year in cars. Comparatively, there's about 11,000 gun homicides a year and people want to totally ban guns. Why not ban cars???

Look, I don't care if the car's powered by gas, batteries, pedal power, nuclear fusion, or cow farts, as long as it keeps me and my loved ones safe while getting from point A to point B.

Even if the vehicle held up in a 60mph crash, that doesn’t mean a human body would. Internal organs can only withstand so much shock.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:47 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,487,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
I dont think thats accurate. I think some people just dont want to relinquish control, and its mainly because they dont trust other people on the roads. I think once it comes, One only has to experience it working to believe it is a good thing.
Now I personally would want to have two cars, one is the EV, and one is my hemi. I would still like the pleasure of hearing and feeling it when I floor it. But the EVs come with good speed when they are floored as well.
I would love to be able to jump in the car and be able to surf the net while the car drives me to work.

I would also laugh at the people on the side of the road because their car pulled over for an error or malfunction and they never learned to drive manually, lol. It will get to that point. People have to get their cars towed (by remote take over) because a glitch stopped it from driving itself. Forget spare tires!

At that point will manually driving be looked at as an ancient skill? Will people be laughed at for learning how to drive, will it be what the peasants do, and become a class issue?
So you laugh at people whose cars have broken down at the side of the road now? You don't stop and help you just laugh at them? You've never seen an ICE car towed?

Some arguments are more specious than others.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
One problem I see with autonomous vehicles is that you would need to program a point B destination. I know for me personally, I don’t necessarily have a point B in mind, sometimes I’ll decide to stop somewhere while coming upon it. Sometimes I may suddenly decide to take an alternate route because I want to see something on a certain street.

It just seems like autonomous vehicles need a degree of planning, and much of my driving isn’t planned at all.
"Turn right"

"Stop here and park"

I don't think you are going to become a prisoner. Just tell it to turn or park or whatever you need. Just like when you get in and tell it, "1919 Mulberry drive, Mayberry Indiana."

Old 11-13-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
As Ziggy100 mentioned, the main problem getting EVs to become more common, is that they're really limited to being owned by home-owners who have a garage.
[quote=Ralph_Kirk;53628748]Which was true of gasoline vehicles 100 years ago.

I can remember when I started driving that long trips still took consideration of where gasoline stations were. There were still lots of "last gas for the next 100 miles" signs around the country. The electrical infrastructure is building, just as the gasoline infrastructure had to build./quote]

You have to wonder how long it will be before apartment owners will cough up the money to add plug-ins at every parking spot. Or at least 50% of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive