U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:41 PM

549 posts, read 118,490 times

Advertisements

Not on my watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:59 PM

25,044 posts, read 11,670,939 times
I think it will happen even faster then folks expect at the moment. Battery technology is rapidly increasing alongside of the autonomous capabilities. The new tesla roadster has a 620 mile range. That covers all of my daily driving, and resolves one of the biggest cons about electric vehicles.

And...these things will last. Gas vehicles have huge numbers of moving parts. The Tesla model 3 has a drivetrain designed to go for a million miles. My gas vehicles? Never made it to 1/4th of that. What wears out? The battery. Eventually. But even then it doesn't usually fail so much as lose capacity. And its replaceable, with the cost dropping every year.

And electric trucks are coming. Tesla Semis are amazing, but when they release a truck I think people will be truly impressed.

Old Today, 02:04 PM

6,969 posts, read 2,586,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Here is a good read. They estimate that by 2045 , 90% of the vehicles will be autonomous. Glad I'll most likely not be around for that...

https://www.fastcompany.com/90146067...-change-cities
I can't understand why people want to not be around for anonymous cars. That's like saying, "they're saying by 2018, 95% of all cars will have cruise control. Glad I'll most likely not be around for that...."
You have the option to either drive the car or have the car drive itself. If you are around by 2045 you'll probably be dependent on the later.

Old Today, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I think it will happen even faster then folks expect at the moment. Battery technology is rapidly increasing alongside of the autonomous capabilities. The new tesla roadster has a 620 mile range. That covers all of my daily driving, and resolves one of the biggest cons about electric vehicles.

And...these things will last. Gas vehicles have huge numbers of moving parts. The Tesla model 3 has a drivetrain designed to go for a million miles. My gas vehicles? Never made it to 1/4th of that. What wears out? The battery. Eventually. But even then it doesn't usually fail so much as lose capacity. And its replaceable, with the cost dropping every year.

And electric trucks are coming. Tesla Semis are amazing, but when they release a truck I think people will be truly impressed.
Tesla does not. By 400K miles the Model S had two battery replacements. https://electrek.co/2018/07/17/tesla...miles-3-years/. The

Electric trucks are lame because they're designed to go anywhere yet you would have to be tied to an urban recharging network. The semi trucks are pretty much a lame gimmick. They require a "megacharger" that doesn't exist and only have a 500 mile range in optimal weather and road conditions. The center mounted driver's seat is just flat out retarded.

Old Today, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Not on my watch.
Do you plan to stop it?

Old Today, 02:30 PM

3,140 posts, read 1,069,705 times
As long as every discussion insists on yoking EV and AV as twin evils, twin follies or twin saviors of humanity, can we throw in bubble tops and really big jet fins, like we were promised in the 1950s? All or nothing, folks. No discussion of Tesla without complaining they don't have fins. Nothing about automotive AI unless it includes the necessary all-round sightline of a bubble top.

Old Today, 02:45 PM

242 posts, read 58,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
That is just it, we keep "being told" that EV and Autonomous is coming, but I don't hear too many asking for it.

I agree , a company has to stay ahead of the curve and it cost a lot of money to do that but it also seems like a huge risk as well.
The % of people considering an EV is rapidly going up, and is well ahead of the ramp in supply of quality EVs.

Ergo, the rate of EV acceptance will simply be limited by the rate of production of quality EVs. Which may be not very fast.

Old Today, 03:40 PM

219 posts, read 42,161 times
The experts said fossil fuels were dead in the 70's too. I find it funny when people comment about training new younger people and getting rid of the old people because of technology advancements. You do know that technology is designed to ensure that just about anyone can learn to do a job.

Old Today, 03:47 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,562,346 times
I suspect electric will rule the day sooner rather than later.

But in terms of environmental, yes I understand the reduction of green house gas and cleaner air, 110% for all of that. But, what happens to the dead batteries as they pile up? What happens to the power grid in general to recharge millions of cars every night? More nuclear power plants? Battery acid leaching into the ground water via mismanaged dumps? I'm not entirely sure this is an overall win-win situation?

But that torque. Oh the torque! And no more stupid "soup can" exhaust pipes blaring down the street!
(yes, I'm getting old, and you kids are too damn loud)...

Old Today, 04:10 PM

193 posts, read 60,314 times
Much of the instinctive opposition to both EV and autonomous driving has to do with the types of people who advocate them and how they come across. I think people are generally more open to EV than autonomous driving because it doesn't change the fundamental nature of driving, but the eco-snob mentality of many proponents tends to come off as self-righteous and condescending.

The opposition to autonomous driving will always be there and there will be human-driven cars a plenty until the government bans them (which I could see at least one major political party try doing eventually). Why? Because a decent % of people enjoy driving cars as in they enjoy the ability to control a vehicle with their inputs. It's a powerful psychological benefit that getting on your personal automated bus just doesn't offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or