Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 08:12 AM

78,324 posts, read 60,517,579 times

Advertisements

I'd be happy to have an autonomous vehicle so that on a long boring drive etc. I can watch a movie, read a book etc.

Most importantly, I see so many utterly crappy and distracted drivers during my commute, automation would cut down significantly on them rear-ending people, running up insurance costs, strangling traffic with accidents etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 08:50 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
We have been hearing about the transition to autonomous (Self drive) for awhile now, lots of people either dont want to believe it or dont want to accept it...IT IS coming though.

It really reminds me of the days when the first motorized cars came out, I imagine there were LOTS of people that had a problem with that, and wanted to stick with horse and buggy...but here 100+ yrs later, even though millions of lives have been lost as a result to motor vehicle accidents, NO ONE is calling to go back to horse and buggy, so all the deaths were worth it in the big picture.
The problem is that its a pretty nebulous idea.

People are envisioning everything from a car that's nothing more than an Ipad on a dash board to cars that look like our current automobiles but can self drive.

Personally, I don't think we're likely to see cars without a steering wheel. Taking a pretty "normal" activity my wife and I did, we went to get pumpkins, which necessitated parking in a yard. That type of thing. Or when you need to find a gas station to use the bathroom. I've seen plenty of incidents where GoogleMaps, Apple Maps, or Waze doesn't have large filling stations that are clearly visible from the interstate exits.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:57 AM

29,430 posts, read 14,618,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
i like the Volt a lot but unfortunately the feature set is a bit lacking.
The ELR solves that issue. Plus I think it's great looking.

Love the ELR..to bad they aren't making that model anymore. I thought the styling was great on it.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:14 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,246,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Love the ELR..to bad they aren't making that model anymore. I thought the styling was great on it.
The upside of it's failure in the marketplace is that it's easily the cheapest "nice" EV you can buy.
Yes, it a rare car so one would have to consider that. I'm used to owning a much rarer car so I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I can't understand why people want to not be around for anonymous cars. That's like saying, "they're saying by 2018, 95% of all cars will have cruise control. Glad I'll most likely not be around for that...."
You have the option to either drive the car or have the car drive itself. If you are around by 2045 you'll probably be dependent on the later.

First off, some of us enjoy driving and vehicle ownership. I'm looking back at the past year and trying to see how many times I really would have rather had a ride.. and that is maybe a handful. Now if I can get an autonomous car to tow my summer toys and winter toys 4 hours to our rural cabin... I might be on board.

As far as EV. I'd love one, it would be perfect for my daily commute. The only problem is I also need a 3/4 fossil fuel burning truck. It isn't cost efficient for me at the time.

In my later years when I can no longer drive, sure I'll like the ability to still get out.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Two words oil companies the only reason why we are still so dependant on oil has nothing to do with technology, but the deliberate forces at work to undermine the evolution of car power. Look at the largest companies in the worlds many of them are oil companies we underestimate their power.

People don't realize that their antagonist approach to EV's is deliberate it's the way they want you to think. Look at how many people were hoping to see TEsla fail just because they are trying to do something the world has never seen before. Luckily they are stacking up to be wrong.

Most think their conscientious decisions are making the change, but in reality we buy whatever they produce for the most part.
Hate to break this too you but petroleum is used in far more items then you may think. Unless you are willing to give up probably 60% of the items in your day to day life, oil companies will be around for a while yet.

Everyday Simplicity: Products Made From Petroleum: YIKES!!

Old 11-09-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
The problem is that its a pretty nebulous idea.

People are envisioning everything from a car that's nothing more than an Ipad on a dash board to cars that look like our current automobiles but can self drive.

Personally, I don't think we're likely to see cars without a steering wheel. Taking a pretty "normal" activity my wife and I did, we went to get pumpkins, which necessitated parking in a yard. That type of thing. Or when you need to find a gas station to use the bathroom. I've seen plenty of incidents where GoogleMaps, Apple Maps, or Waze doesn't have large filling stations that are clearly visible from the interstate exits.

Sure about that ?
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...treets-in-2019

I'm going to guess that the early autonomous vehicles that are brought to market are going to look like toasters with windows and wheels, completely generic.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
The upside of it's failure in the marketplace is that it's easily the cheapest "nice" EV you can buy.
Yes, it a rare car so one would have to consider that. I'm used to owning a much rarer car so I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.
About three years ago, you could get a killer lease deal on them. I think it was around $200 a month.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:48 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,409,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
No surprise, they screwed hundreds of thousands on recalls; and are in bed with the NTSB.
We’re is your proof of what you are saying or are you just talking smack .

Old 11-09-2018, 10:51 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,409,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Facts please?
Op is just talking smack, op knows nothing about the auto industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive