Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 03:35 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Not on my watch.
I bet your great grandpa said the same this during the transition from horses to cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Tesla does not. By 400K miles the Model S had two battery replacements. https://electrek.co/2018/07/17/tesla...miles-3-years/. The

Electric trucks are lame because they're designed to go anywhere yet you would have to be tied to an urban recharging network. The semi trucks are pretty much a lame gimmick. They require a "megacharger" that doesn't exist and only have a 500 mile range in optimal weather and road conditions. The center mounted driver's seat is just flat out retarded.
The center mounted seat can easily be removed when the trucks become fully autonomous. No driver needed at all.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:38 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,573,440 times
Can't think of any single EV that makes sense, except as maybe a 2nd car to rich people.

GM is acting rather stupidly again - Check out the un-love for the Volt. Unless they fixed it for 2019 https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/review...-volt-preview/

^^ Long term reviews do not like the previous ones.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
I bet your great grandpa said the same this during the transition from horses to cars.

Mine said "Get off my lawn" a few times.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I suspect electric will rule the day sooner rather than later.

But in terms of environmental, yes I understand the reduction of green house gas and cleaner air, 110% for all of that. But, what happens to the dead batteries as they pile up? What happens to the power grid in general to recharge millions of cars every night? More nuclear power plants? Battery acid leaching into the ground water via mismanaged dumps? I'm not entirely sure this is an overall win-win situation?

But that torque. Oh the torque! And no more stupid "soup can" exhaust pipes blaring down the street!
(yes, I'm getting old, and you kids are too damn loud)...
No batteries will ever hit ‘dumps’. Way to valuable. They are and will continue to be recycled.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:55 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,323,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Can't think of any single EV that makes sense, except as maybe a 2nd car to rich people.

GM is acting rather stupidly again - Check out the un-love for the Volt. Unless they fixed it for 2019 https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/review...-volt-preview/

^^ Long term reviews do not like the previous ones.
My Volt is 5 years old now and just fine, thank you. I love this little commuter and I only use gas on long road trips. Most everyone I know of with them loves them. And I'm not a rich person. It's my primary car.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:57 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
The center mounted seat can easily be removed when the trucks become fully autonomous. No driver needed at all.
No easier load to hijack than the one with no driver that you can easily make stop.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
My Volt is 5 years old now and just fine, thank you. I love this little commuter and I only use gas on long road trips. Most everyone I know of with them loves them. And I'm not a rich person. It's my primary car.

Okay

How many others you know have these?

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto...olet-volt.html

Old 11-08-2018, 03:58 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,323,425 times
Quote:
No batteries will ever hit ‘dumps’. Way to valuable. They are and will continue to be recycled.
Yup, and when they hit the end of their useful life in cars, they tend to get repurposed as battery backups for UPS systems in commercial settings.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:05 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
i like the Volt a lot but unfortunately the feature set is a bit lacking.
The ELR solves that issue. Plus I think it's great looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive