Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 09:41 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times

Advertisements

In a word? Ground Clearance. That's my .02 anyway. That, and seating. The rampant popularity of Pickup trucks tracks closely with the popularity of double cabs.

We do have the Ridgeline which does well enough, and is Ute-ish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 09:44 AM

1,002 posts, read 916,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Its towing capacity is 3500 lbs from what I could see, and that's not a lot in comparison to Silverado, RAM and Co. It's also not enough for the purposes that full-size trucks are needed for in infrastructure construction and maintenance, heavy industry, cattle farming, ranching etc.

I have no doubt that it's a fun to drive vehicle, though it does come at a price point where you could buy a lot of very nice other cars, too.
I bet it's no good for carrying 12 people or driving on unpaved roads in Siberia, either. Clearly there's no point in them existing.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:44 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
I wonder how much the obesity epidemic plays into these types of decisions? At 5'8", 160, I have no problem being comfortable in a Subaru Baja-sized vehicle. If they didn't put a stupid storage/cup holder in the middle of the back row, my whole family could easily fit in it.

I guess the car companies have to factor in that the average American is no longer my size though when investing hundreds of millions into production costs.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-09-2018, 10:50 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,636,580 times
Personally, I don’t understand why the old American standard, the “station wagon” isn’t more popular. I have a 2008 Audi, S4 Avant (their name for their “wagons”). It has the performance and handling of a sports sedan with the ability to haul my boxes of stuff whenever. I think Volvo might be the only company selling something similar these days. Audi doesn’t import the S4 Avant to the U.S. anymore.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:58 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
I comes down that there is no demand for them the US market is one of large pickups and suvs. And no auto maker is going to set up a plant to only run a few thousand vehicles no profit and that’s what they are in business for.

Last edited by easy62; 11-09-2018 at 11:16 AM..

Old 11-09-2018, 10:59 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I'm no expert on vehicle "platforms", but wouldn't some of the mid-sized SUV's be perfect as a platform for a new UTE?

The Hyundai rumored Santa Cruz is supposed to be based on the new Santa Fe body. That vehicle has actually been built as a concept. There's a rumor surrounding the Ford Focus platform as well, which is obviously even smaller. Those are the two most likely to ever actually appear.

I'm just desperate for a replacement for the "perfect" vehicle I finally found, unfortunately 15 years after it was built and 12 after the last of the model.

Many, many years ago, an automotive writer had an article in Mechanix Illustrated (IIRC, one of those type magazines, anyway) comparing the cost of doing an IROAN (Inspect, Repair Only As Necessary) program on his over-100-thousand-mile-car with the cost of a new vehicle. He rebuilt the engine and transmission, inspected the differential, inspected all wheel/axle bearings, had the upholstery redone, and a paint job. He basically restored the vehicle to near-showroom condition for less than 2/3 the cost of a new one of similar characteristics.
What would it cost to rebuild your "perfect" vehicle, compared to the cost of a replacement, IF you can find one?
Think about it.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:07 AM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
I bet it's no good for carrying 12 people or driving on unpaved roads in Siberia, either. Clearly there's no point in them existing.

I responded to someone specifically saying that vehicle is powerful enough in response to me saying utes aren't powerful enough for heavy duty industrial use.

My larger original point being that they're too limited for many commercial purposes, so the fact that their design doesn't seem to be attractive to the mainstream American buyer of utility vehicles is a significant problem and likely cause of why they're not available in the U.S. car market.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:07 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
What would it cost to rebuild your "perfect" vehicle, compared to the cost of a replacement, IF you can find one?
Think about it.
I'm certainly going to keep it on the road until it craps out completely. Thankfully my mechanic is my stepfather (almost 40 years running his own shop) and I have friends for issues he doesn't want to tackle. BUT, I also live in NY where rust is a serious issue on older cars. Our roads are heavily salted in the winter, and to make matters worse, I don't have a garage to store it in. So far, it doesn't appear to have any major issues on that front, but it is only a matter of time.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-09-2018, 11:08 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,186,339 times
Us 'Merikans are all big, tall fat b-tards and don't want those puny little 3rd World toys. (Plus, all the safety crud required in the US would kill most small Utes. Blame the NTSB!)

I'd kinda like a Maloo, however. Those look cool as fark!

Old 11-09-2018, 11:45 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,636,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I comes down that there is no demand for them the US market is one of large pickups and suvs. And no auto maker is going to set up a plant to only run a few thousand vehicles no profit and that’s what they are in business for.
Yeah, I understand that. What I don’t understand is why there is no demand for them. I’ve had a number of SUVs and they are fine but not real driving machines. I guess there are a lot fewer people than I would have thought that like performance driving experiences. Yet I see plenty of performance sedans and coupes, but no performance “wagons”. Dodge and Cadillac had offerings for a while but they’re gone too. I just have no understanding of the tastes of the average American car buyer apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive