U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM

135 posts, read 158,733 times

Advertisements

Growing up, my parents didn't have the greatest income so we usually had older cars. Later the age of the ones got to around 6 years old and I remember my dad buying one new truck but it was a very basic one.

Most of our family however tends to buy new cars and then trades for new ones in a few years. With maybe a few used ones in there.

I've always preferred a used car, because I prefer something better than a plain vanilla base all the time. To me it's just boring if all you're getting is a new base model every time. But I know for some that doesn't matter and/or they don't want the extras.

Of course it could be because all we had as a kid were base models and I've learned that there's a lot more fun to a car when you move up trim levels and add buttons instead of blank spots.

What's your opinion on this? One advantage I can see is with a base model there's certainly less to go wrong. Plus a lot of base models these days have more features than some loaded cars had 20 years ago too.

I know a lot of people like the base models too because they'll say they can get it for not much more than a used car. But to me having a brand new car really isn't worth it, and doesn't mean much, plus with new cars these days they often come with a warranty nearly as good or just as good as a new one if you get a certified pre owned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:00 PM

5,245 posts, read 1,997,461 times
I had a new car once in 1969. Since then many beaters and some nice cars. A number of Saab 900 plus a BMW 633. I have also had a Mazda 808 wagon that was not only a rust bucket but the only vehicle I ever had that it's seat beats started smoking and after that I had the choice of the horn not working or the engine not turning off if my bum was on the drivers seat.

Advantages of used cars includes picking one you really like, not paying for collision insurace, and not thinking you need a new car all the time. If I had to replace my current vehicle I could go out and write a cheque for it without hurting and if I decide to sell my current RAV I most likely would get for what I paid for it plus repairs and upgrades after driving it for over 4 years.

The downsides are I have to manually open the rear door and there are no sounds coming out when I weave out of lane.

Old Yesterday, 11:18 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,836,488 times
Weve been fortunate to be able to buy new, well equipped cars for many years. We choose our cars and equipment carefully. We also take care of them.

Years ago we'd keep them for fewer years than we now do. Lately we've kept them longer, unless there was some overriding situation/condition like a major failure or accident.

I've never regretted this.

Old Today, 07:26 AM

9,014 posts, read 14,266,326 times
Replies will be all over the map on this.

For daily drivers, I have mostly bought new for a long time now and tend to get well equipped vehicles. I have had a number of used cars too, but those have mostly been to have a second "fun" car, mostly sports cars.

There is a variety of reasons why I prefer new, particularly for daily drivers, but among them is the ability to pick the specific options, trim level, color combinations, etc, that I prefer with relative ease. When in the used market, it can be challenging to find exactly what you want and not have to compromise, if your picky about those sorts of things.

Old Today, 08:06 AM

8,789 posts, read 9,014,315 times
I tend to buy 1-2 year old cars, preferably certified. Most if bought have still be under some sort of factory warranty for some time.

I also tend to buy an upper level trim model when I do this as those extra features keep my interested in the car for longer. I kept the car previous to my current one 10 years and still enjoyed driving it 10 year later.

Old Today, 08:11 AM

1,630 posts, read 567,670 times
When we buy a "new" to us vehicles, I shop for that 2 year lease return. Almost half price of new plus a full manufacturers warranty since its a certified vehicle. My wife though, her last 3 vehicles were brand new. So reckon it depends on the buyers sex eh lol

Old Today, 08:12 AM

1,075 posts, read 299,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
I know a lot of people like the base models too because they'll say they can get it for not much more than a used car. But to me having a brand new car really isn't worth it, and doesn't mean much, plus with new cars these days they often come with a warranty nearly as good or just as good as a new one if you get a certified pre owned.
It depends on how entitled you are.
If you want a Acura with all the trimmings but you cant afford it brand new, you can likely afford a Civic with all the trimmings brand new. Its all based on what you want rather than what you need. Its the same thing with buying certified used.

Old Today, 08:20 AM

15,575 posts, read 29,325,427 times
I have had new cars and I've had used cars. Plain vanilla and tricked out to the max. Today's prices do not justify paying $300+ for 5 or 6 years for the priviledge of getting from point A to point B.

Now days I shop price. Only 2 requirements: must be a 2 door with manual transmission. Paying more than $12,000 for any car is insanity in my book. Yeah, I'd LOVE to have a 2 door Mercedes or Lexus but I love my money more.

Old Today, 08:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,524 posts, read 50,902,464 times
My father always bought used due to the cost. He made a good salary, but there were 9 of us kids. I have had over 30 cars since my first, and of those, probably 2/3 were new, starting with a 1973 when I was in college, and including the last 5. It really depends on the circumstances at the time. There have been periods of time where my financial situation made used more practical, but I always consider new to be better for the full warranty, latest safety features, and that "new car smell." I don't go with the base models, nor the top trim level, rather something in between. I like features such as 8" touchscreen and power seats, but don't want/need a sunroof or heated steering wheel.

Old Today, 08:47 AM

9,921 posts, read 7,182,438 times
There is noting like buying a brand new spiffy car but the prices are getting crazy and the way they depreciate while they sit in the driveway and rust, they are a poor investment.

I like the goodies and extras and will try and get as many as I can when I have to replace my loaded 2002 truck but spending $60,000 on one is not going to happen so it will be preowned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or